U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 PM

6,928 posts, read 10,411,355 times

Advertisements

I have toxic guilt.

I don't think my dog is probably ok to go to dog parks - last time she was aggressive toward a deaf elderly dog () - but today I walked her near the fence of the dog park so she could meet the dogs through the fence. I've read that's good to do, but I felt incredibly mean. She was crying and really wanted to go in. The people in the dog park said I should let her go in and play, but with her joint issues she gets intolerant quickly, and I admit I'm probably more of the problem (I am really freaked out by dog parks). What do you guys think?

I don't want to be mean to her
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,895,163 times
I don't think it socializes a dog to be led into situations where it can see other dogs, but can't interact with them.

If she's not trustworthy in parks and YOU are not comfortable there either, then please don't go to them.

Try to find some other way for your dog to get some canine play-time in. Do you have friends with dogs? Could you arrange play-dates?

Old 05-06-2012, 07:57 PM

4,195 posts, read 14,530,587 times
I would try to find a well-socialized dog about the same size/age as your dog and see if the owner would be willing to work w/ you and your dog - taking her to a dog park w/ many other dogs is prob. overwhelming for her - would go slowly w/ her no matter how excited and anxious she is to play - tiffs can happen in seconds and you dont want to be responsible for anything bad (injurious) happening to another dog (as well as your own) - remember, patience, grasshopper <G>

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Yeah, we have to meet a nice dog. She's fine in parks, but not dog parks/runs. She really wanted to go in...she greeted the dogs who came over to visit very nicely, but I just didn't trust it to go in.

Stinks, she used to be great at the dog park before she was attacked (that didn't happen at the dog park). Where we used to live she had plenty of doggie friends, but since we moved we don't see a lot of other dogs on walks. We did meet a nice one recently so hopefully we'll see that one again soon. I feel like I'm depriving her.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,523,214 times
If the point is to get your dog use to or be with other dogs but in a control enviroment, DUH, what better way that throught he fence of a dog park? Every single training everything we see on dogs is basically snifing through the fence. Sure it may be two dogs passing on a path, two dogs on leasehes in a field, etc, etc, but it all comes down to the same thing, having them around other dogs.

The fact that you have real concerns both in the behavior and the physical concern simply means you have to excercise more control during socialization, so fenece sniffing is perfectly alright. When you think about it, isn;t it every so much better to socialize the dog through a frence than go on in (like so many stupid owners at dog parks) and just let their dog go and cross their fingers everything will be alright. We read enoug about owners with no control in dog parks, I wish more were like you.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 PM

Thanks, that's what I was thinking...that if she met them through the fence it was some nice, safe interaction. Of course when she cries and wants to go in then I feel incredibly guilty, but I think for now I won't bring her in. Maybe if/when her joints are better (the antibiotics didn't work against the bartonella henseslae, we're in round 2). In the meantime I want to expose her to a lot of dogs and walking along that fence is a good way to do it. I'd like to find her a nice playmate as well though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs