Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM

61 posts, read 186,289 times

Advertisements

I just put my Chihuahuas on some Diamond Puppy dry food because I consider it to be a premium type. After checking out the ingredients I'm satisfied and the kibble size is perfect. They seem to love the taste of it, too. Anyone every used this brand of dog food? If so, tell me what you like/dislike about it. I got a 40lb bag of it for rougly $38. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I'm not a fan of any Diamond products after the massive recall in 2007. They killed my cat, causing her to go into renal failure and I will never forgive them for that. They, to this day, import ingredients from China, so another recall is not out of the question. For that price, you can do much, much better. Chihuahuas don't eat much, so I'd go with a higher-quality, grainless food.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
I do not know how many Chihuahuas you have but I know they do not eat much so if I was you I would buy smaller bags of food. Many of the high quality foods do not have preservatives so unlike grocery store brands they have a much shorter shelf life and will go bad especialy if you do store them right. A 40 lb bag would probably go bad before a couple of small dogs could eat the whole thing and when they food does go bad it can be toxic. It may be cheaper to buy in bulk but if you end up throwing it out or need vet care for a dog that ate bad food it will become more expensive.

Now that I have a dog ( 45lb dog) on senior food and the other on adult both Innova I still buy a large bag for the senior but split it with my dad as his dog is a senior too and that way they eat food that stays fresh. Split between the two the bag lasts around a month perhaps a bit longer so I can only imagine how long a 40 lb bag would last with even a small pack of Chihuahuas.

I do not use Diamond so have no comment there.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
sorry not a fan and i do have chihuahuas . and no they dont eat that much but I have mine on ori jen and it is an excellent food . Now diamond is and was part of the recall several yrs ago that killed alot of dogs and cats . Yep they killed my brutus my lab and I will never forgive them for that and they did not have to watch my chis walk around looking for brutus and crying and it broke my heart .

Old 07-26-2010, 01:11 PM

119 posts, read 467,770 times
My husband farms but works PT for a feed store that sell dog food and he says Diamond dog food is one of the worst and will not bring it home to feed our dogs.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Diamond Premium Adult Formula for Dogs is most certainly NOT a good quality kibble. This is their list of ingredients:

Quote:
Chicken by-product meal, whole grain ground corn, wheat flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
It also contains no probiotics that are typically found in good quality kibble. This kibble would get a score of 82 (a rank of C), which puts it in the same category as Nutro Natural, Ekanuba, and Iams. Not the worst, but certainly not the best either.

See //www.city-data.com/forum/11375037-post4.html

Old 07-26-2010, 04:30 PM

106 posts, read 440,228 times
I feed Diamond Premium and have fed Diamond puppy for many years. In having 11 dogs I must balance price and quality. I have never had a problem with Diamond foods, even through the 2007 recall. My dogs are healthy and happy, my oldest is 16 now and has eaten Diamond for all his life. He is a Pointer mix. I am not fond of the maintenance formula though. In any case, don't particularly want to get flamed or anything, but some people are quite satisfied with the food.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Diamond Food products received bad attention during the pet food recall. What's laugable is many so called quality foods contain the same thing but in a much lower quantity so pet deaths were not as common. Also, unless the food is packaged as raw food, it contains preservatives. The loophole is that they can claim no preservatives so long as they don't add the preservatives in during the manufacturing. If they have the packaging company add preservatives in the can or paper packagng to leech into the food, they still can legally claim no preservatives. They also can have the ingredient provider add preservatives in to the raw products before it reaches the manufacture of the food and claim no preservatives. Some of the no preservative quality food has the same shelf life as processed pet foods. But because they are selling high quality and no preservatives, they slap a short expiration date on the package and people fall for the marketing.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Diamond Food products received bad attention during the pet food recall. What's laugable is many so called quality foods contain the same thing but in a much lower quantity so pet deaths were not as common. Also, unless the food is packaged as raw food, it contains preservatives. The loophole is that they can claim no preservatives so long as they don't add the preservatives in during the manufacturing. If they have the packaging company add preservatives in the can or paper packagng to leech into the food, they still can legally claim no preservatives. They also can have the ingredient provider add preservatives in to the raw products before it reaches the manufacture of the food and claim no preservatives. Some of the no preservative quality food has the same shelf life as processed pet foods. But because they are selling high quality and no preservatives, they slap a short expiration date on the package and people fall for the marketing.
You realize that most pet food companies use Vitamin C or E as a preservative, right? The non reputable ones use ethoxyquin. However, that was not the recall issue. And, no reputable pet food company sells canned food. Despite where their kibble factory may be, it is far too expensive to own a canning facility. Which is why almost every single canned dog food on the market is canned in either China or Thailand. Champion Pet Foods (maker of Orijen and Acana) states that they will never have a canned food because of this. They do not trust any third party vendor to process their food.

The recall was due to contaminated rice gluten, which was imported from China. Which is why foods like Taste of the Wild (produced by Diamond) were unaffected. That is a grainless food. The recall of 2007 had zero to do with preservatives.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Mak you really do know your stuff girl you go !!! Orijen all the way for my dogs !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs