U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:04 PM

673 posts, read 3,054,307 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone here has their dog's teeth cleaned by the vet? When we got our dog 5 years ago, he was already approx 4 years old and we had to have him neutered. While he was out, they went ahead and cleaned his teeth and had to pull a bad one out. I'm so glad we had that done when we did. Today I called to get prices again because he is going to be 9 and I'd like them done one more time. His teeth seem ok except for one has a tendency to bleed when I brush his teeth. I usually try to brush them and give him the dog bisucuits to help. When I called to get prices I was shocked! One vet had a set price of $367 and that did NOT include the price to extract any teeth if they had to. The other vet was between $150-500 and that is depending on the condition of the dog's teeth and probably the age.

What are your thoughts on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 04:27 PM

389 posts, read 3,468,666 times
Dentals are expensive. About half of the cost is IV catheter, IV fluids, and post surgical care the other half is the actual cleaning, and yes, extractions are more (at least that's what we charge the most for) I would have the teeth evaluated before making any decisions. I have an 11 yr old and a 5 yr old and neither has ever needed a dental and their teeth are beautiful, and I don't even brush them! I know it's expensive, but worth it because in the long run, dental disease leads to much more serious health issues over time.

Good luck! You could also do a search and see if anyone in your area does non-anesthetic dentals, which are just as thorough and obviously safer. We have a company come in every other Tuesday and they do a great job, and it's great for older pets to avoid anesthesia if they will tolerate it.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,904,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
I was just wondering if anyone here has their dog's teeth cleaned by the vet? When I called to get prices I was shocked! One vet had a set price of $367 and that did NOT include the price to extract any teeth if they had to. The other vet was between $150-500 and that is depending on the condition of the dog's teeth and probably the age. What are your thoughts on this?
Yes, I've had my dogs' teeth cleaned by the vet and it's very pricey. And depending on the breed, sometimes you just have to do it even if you brush the teeth regularly because they get gum disease and even loose teeth. My Yorkie has been like that whereas my beagle has perfect teeth at 16.

I'm assuming the price quoted includes any bloodwork prior to the cleaning. If your dog has any signs of an infection, it will be on antibiotics before and after the cleaning too. We paid about $50 per tooth extracted last time.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:10 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,517,677 times
I just had 2 of my dogs teeth cleaned, no extractions and it was 440.00. I brush my dogs teeth almost every day and I have a scaler for tarter but I still have to do it every 2-3 years.........There are worth taking care of as bad teeth can cause lots of other problems....

Carrie

Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,677,675 times
I had my dogs teeth cleaned/whitened/sealed by the vet.
It was right around $225 and that was in 06'.
That's cheap for California standards.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:33 PM

5,115 posts, read 15,972,777 times
I had my last dog's teeth cleaned only once. He was 13 when I had it done. Can't remember how much that cost. He didn't have any extractions.

About a month ago, I took my dog, Honey, to have her shots and annual exam. I was going to get her teeth cleaned too. She's 6 years old and never had a cleaning. The estimate for cleaning was $225. I decided to hold off on it. She doesn't have any "bad teeth" and I didn't have the money. Sad to say, she's starting to develop cataracts. This may sound cold hearted, but I'm not going to pay $225 for her teeth cleaning when her eyes are the medical concern at this time.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 34,241,668 times
Yikes - those are some pricey vets!

My vet runs a special once a year where teeth cleanings are $75 if you do it during a certain month, other wise it's closer to $100 or so.

It's a same day service and they use a mild anesthesia, you pick up your sleepy dog at the end of the day .

He's a top notch vet too.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:08 AM

13,163 posts, read 968,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
If your dog has any signs of an infection, it will be on antibiotics before and after the cleaning too.

hint to help cut costs: ask the vet if you can get a prescription for the antibiotic. Antibiotics are generally very inexpensive, but from the vet it will cost you 3-4 times as much (sometimes as much as $40-50). Some generic antibiotics are under $10 at the pharmacy. It's worth checking.

Also, if you can find a vet who does cleaning without putting the dog out, it's much safer for the dog and far less expensive.
Regardless, it's definitely worth getting the teeth cleaned since you'll be saving on *future* medical care!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 PM

211 posts, read 967,669 times
does anyone know health problems if dogs teeth are cleaned? My dog is 8 years old and he never had his teeth cleaned, a Vet recently made note of this to me and showed me his teeth and they are absolutley disgusting, he said he could have Kidney problems as a result

Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,904,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
hint to help cut costs: ask the vet if you can get a prescription for the antibiotic. Antibiotics are generally very inexpensive, but from the vet it will cost you 3-4 times as much (sometimes as much as $40-50). Some generic antibiotics are under $10 at the pharmacy. It's worth checking.
Thank you for the tip, Southward Bound. That makes sense considering how expensive other meds are when purchased through a vet's office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs