Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 PM

50 posts, read 230,077 times

Advertisements

I tried to use as descriptive a title as possible for this thread. I also did a lot of Searching to see if this has been covered before. I found threads on excessive barking by neighbor's dog, and threads on feral animals, but not anything on both--- that is, the feral animal problem around town (CATS, squirrels, possums, skunks, raccoons) causing much of the excessive barking by domestic dogs. There is a connection, right?

My dog barks at feral cats after dark-- before I get home from work to keep him inside. (We have a doggy-door, so the dogs are inside most of the day where it's cool, only going out to do their business or ward off intruders.) Dogs are being dogs when they bark at wildlife on the other side of their fences. They're guarding their territory and telling them to "GO AWAY AND IF YOU DON'T, I'LL BARK UNTIL YOU DO."

People complain about barking dogs keeping them awake or "disturbing the peace." They complain that the "dog is barking for no reason" or "the dog is barking just for the heck of it." Normal, healthy, socialized (interacts peacefully with other dogs and people) dogs bark for a reason. They are protective of their yard and their humans.

I created a monster when I was raising my puppy and teasing him about the squirrels--- pointing to them and saying, "What's he doing in our yard? Go get him!" BAD MOVE!! I now have a squirrel-obsessed dog. But at least squirrels go to bed when it gets dark. The feral CATS, POSSUMS, etc. become more active.

True, we need to be responsible neighbors-- take responsibility for our animal's actions, be it barking or whatever. Bring it inside at night, for instance. But for-crying-out-loud!!! what do we do about the feral animals around our homes that are causing our dogs to raise the alarm or go into prey-drive???

What are WE doing to encourage the feral animal population in San Antonio? People throw food scraps over the back fence, put out those darn corn cobs to attract squirrels, etc., feed their dogs/cats outside and just leave the uneaten food out there, take their trash out to the curb at night and don't secure the lid. These things are often done without even realizing the problems it causes.

But the thing that is giving me such a hive is the person who feeds feral CATS. "Oh, the poor things... they just want to live; they're not bothering anyone..." They gather up as many as they can and take them to ACS or wherever for free spay/neutering and then bring them back to their neighborhoods and let them go. This is an actual city policy? a solution to a problem??? What about the problems that are CAUSED by such a policy???? If you want to save a stray kitty-cat's life by taking it in to live in your house, fine! Let it live with YOU; don't impose it on all your neighbors as well.

Why do people who live IN the city feed and provide for undomesticated animals???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 05:53 PM

27 posts, read 179,741 times
"My dog barks at feral cats after dark"

"People complain about barking dogs keeping them awake or "disturbing the peace."

Wild animals are not the problem. Neither is your dog the problem. Who is left?

"They complain that the "dog is barking for no reason" or "the dog is barking just for the heck of it."

Actually, as you stated yourself, most people are concerned your untended animal is "keeping them awake" and "disturbing the peace" (HINT: nobody cares why/Take care of your nuisance dog)

I think you're my neighbor

Old 05-13-2012, 06:05 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
So TRAIN YOUR DOG NOT TO BARK AT Other Animals! YES You are at Fault since YOU Trained Him to BARK at wildlife! When Katie & I moved into this apt there were deer in the back yd! Everytime she Barked I told her NO Watch Quietly! Shes Now 7 yrs old & Deer walk right up to her! BTW I Had a Stupid Neighbor who like you TRAINED his dog Not only to Bark but to Chase the Deer! Sad ending Dog got shot by hunter HE Paid a Huge Fine for Dog harrising the Wildlife!

Old 05-13-2012, 06:37 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,374,505 times
So this is an easy one. Teach your dog the "Quiet" command.

This time of year we sleep with the windows open and get all kinds of animal noises from the woods. A few weeks ago, we had coyotes yipping in the middle of the night. That really got the dogs attention. Sure the dogs (or at least one of them) will often bark at unfamilar noises, then I'll mumble "quiet" and that turns it off. And I'm talking about dogs that go berserk at the sight of a squirrel, UPS truck or rabbit. One actually catches the rabbits. He'll bark and bark but he does reliably stop barking when I say "quiet"

First teach your dog to speak. Once you get him barking on command, you can teach him to stop barking on command. Check the interweb for more detailed instructions.

And by the way, I do agree with you. People need to be more diligent about not luring or feeding wildlife.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
So TRAIN YOUR DOG NOT TO BARK AT Other Animals! YES You are at Fault since YOU Trained Him to BARK at wildlife! When Katie & I moved into this apt there were deer in the back yd! Everytime she Barked I told her NO Watch Quietly! Shes Now 7 yrs old & Deer walk right up to her! BTW I Had a Stupid Neighbor who like you TRAINED his dog Not only to Bark but to Chase the Deer! Sad ending Dog got shot by hunter HE Paid a Huge Fine for Dog harrising the Wildlife!
I wonder if you read my whole post. It WAS a big long-winded, but why would you take the time to reply if you didn't want to take the time to read it?

#1- Whoop-dee-doo for Katie. How wonderful that deer approach her without fear.
#2- I didn't have to train my dog to bark at wildlife... he's a dog, you see, and most dogs by nature bark at animals that come near their property at night.
#3- Are you actually saying that a dog who barks at feral animals are harassing said animals? You've got to be kidding.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
So this is an easy one. Teach your dog the "Quiet" command.

This time of year we sleep with the windows open and get all kinds of animal noises from the woods. A few weeks ago, we had coyotes yipping in the middle of the night. That really got the dogs attention. Sure the dogs (or at least one of them) will often bark at unfamilar noises, then I'll mumble "quiet" and that turns it off. And I'm talking about dogs that go berserk at the sight of a squirrel, UPS truck or rabbit. One actually catches the rabbits. He'll bark and bark but he does reliably stop barking when I say "quiet"

First teach your dog to speak. Once you get him barking on command, you can teach him to stop barking on command. Check the interweb for more detailed instructions.
Actually, my dog does stop barking "on command." Read my post and you'll see that his barking at these feral cats is happening before I get home from work.

Quote:
And by the way, I do agree with you. People need to be more diligent about not luring or feeding wildlife.
Well, thanks for that.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 PM

YOU DID Train your dog to Bark

I created a monster when I was raising my puppy and teasing him about the squirrels--- pointing to them and saying,

Maybe YOU Need to READ Youer own Post!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:10 PM

#3- Are you actually saying that a dog who barks at feral animals are harassing said animals? You've got to be kidding.

YES! & in certain areas its IS against the Law!

Old 05-13-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
YOU DID Train your dog to Bark

I created a monster when I was raising my puppy and teasing him about the squirrels--- pointing to them and saying,

Maybe YOU Need to READ Youer own Post!
Oh well. Thanks for your interest in the subject.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:

YES! & in certain areas its IS against the Law!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs