Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:40 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times

Advertisements

Some folks asked me to post about my trip to Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah.

Of course, they are wonderful. A 3,000-acre property between three national parks and 30,000 acres of leased federal land. Wonderful care and facilities for all critters. A real spritual sense of mission in the work of caring for animals. Lots and lots of compassionate expertise.

The volunteer program runs like a smooth engine. You can do as much or as little as you like. I signed up for a fair amount of involvement, and had to back off due to suddenly discovered severe allergies. I haven't had such before, so figure it must be something in the area in August. I was almost incapacitated. And do know that you can only get minimal supplies (antihistimines) in Kanab itself. I strongly suggest that a visitor bring strong allergy medication with self, certainly if you're visiting at a time that isn't winter.

Another thing. It was HOT. I had convinced myself that 100 degrees was OK because it wasn't humid. I personally couldn't take it. Also, remember that the altitude is about 5,000 feet, which is quite a jump from sea level. Five thousand hadn't bothered me in the past, on the other hand, all I did was land in cities at 5,000 feet and get a car (Denver, etc.) and never tried to actually do anything.

I stayed in the on-site cottages, of which there are eight. They are beautiful and comfortable and well-cared-for, and overlook the Horse Haven pasture. They and the cabins closer to the entrance are all very well located if you want to stay on-site. If you want to stay on-site, make reservations as soon as you know your dates of travel- they fill up fast, especially in the peak travel times (summer and school vacations).

I ended up spending earlier mornings at Old Friends, the old dog part of Dogtown Heights. The oldsters touch me so much. I walked some (marked trails for all dog areas) and groomed some and mucked out some runs and trails. I was pretty useless in terms of energy- they had to give me the *slower* old dogs!

After old dogs, I'd go and sit in the run of the dog I plan to adopt. Having adopted other Best Friends dogs and struck up an on-line relationship with a dog adoption coordinator, the coordinator had sent me a pic of the dog she thought I might take- a very shy, 7-year-old Aussie mix (?) with bright blue eyes who came from a hoarding situation, is very very shy around people, but must live with other dogs.

I sat in her run and played with her runmate for an hour or so each day. I also walked the shy dog, Eloise, a few times, while staff walked her one runmate (a biter named Wooly) and a volunteer walked her other runmate, a cheerful, friendly little dog. I just found the heat too much, so decided to bond with Eloise by sitting in her run. She stared at me the whole time, at one point lying down to stare at me, so I figured she felt a little safe. She seemed more curious than suspicious.

I will be sending for her in October, when I have a bunch of days off. I gather it's unusual for people to adopt dogs long-distance, and when I first adopted, Best Friends sent a local humane society rep to my house to check out my situation (home visit). Of course, if you volunteer with an eye to adoption of any animal, you have the chance to spend a lot of time with the animal and his/her caretakers, who know so much about them.

Another thing you can do, which I did three times, is take a dog on an overnight sleepover. Some people take a dog they might adopt, some take a dog suggested by staff. I asked to take dogs who might be overlooked and for whom it would be a help to spend a night with a person in a homey setting. I really felt like I wanted to do something that would be a genuine help, since I was something of a washout as a daily volunteer! I got a dog each night from the more difficult dog area, Maggie's Mercantile. One dog, who captured my heart, Otis, had bitten someone when originally rescued after Hurricane Katrina (months after...) so it's not suprising that he bit, but Best Friends has to regard him as possibly a biting dog. (They also said they weren't sure of his reactions to other dogs- some OK, some not. Since I have a household full of dogs, I can only long-distance take a dog who is sure to be OK with all others).

Of course, if a dog captures your attention when you're volunteering, you can ask to take that dog overnight, which is likely to make you a slam-dunk to adopt! Each dog I took overnight was, of course, agitated and all when first in the cottage. Once they settled down, and especially when they fell asleep, I fell in love with each one. But Otis especially.

I spent a week there, then drove around Utah for two days (a whole lotta empty space and forboding geology!). I must recommend a restaurant three hours north of Kanab if you take a driving trip. It's in Boulder, Utah, a tiny ranching community. It's called Hell's Backbone Grill, and is the most delicious and attentive (in the Buddhist sense) and beautiful place, like a mirage on the road. Look it up on the internet and call for their serving hours if you going to drive around the state at all. It's absolutely worth it, and there are many articles on the internet (including Travel & Leisure and NY Times) about this lovely and unusual place.

Then I went to Colorado for another week, catching up with a couple of people, making a failed pass at one (oh, Bill...) then looking for another guest ranch for weekly riding, since the one I used to go to closed. Found it at Wilderness Trails Guest Ranch, in Bayfield, 35 miles north of Durango.

Came back to Boston area and got a 15% discount for boarding my five mutts for so long! The four dogs who had been in shelters seemed fine- just another period of time in an institution with runmates. The one dog, Kona, who has never been kenneled, looked shell-shocked- ruffled fur, stunned look. Fortunately, he recovered as soon as he got home.

The beagle-basset gained visible weight at the kennel. The guy told me Snoops just laid around and waited for feeding times, not that he ate anyone else's food. Boy, did he pack it on.

So, I can happily and heartily recommend a stay at Best Friends (or a day's visit if you are traveling to Zion or Bryce Canyons, or the National Escalante Staircase, all nearby). They are wonderful people doing a great job and are well rated by charity evaluators. Oh, and I put in paperwork for "legacy care"- I put them in my will for certain accounts and in return, if I die suddenly, that is, without making plans for any animals I might have, Best Friends will take any and all animals I might have with the legacy donation. Also, Best Friends will always take its own animals back for whatever reason, so I will soon have three B.F. dogs of six.

I hope many of you take the chance to visit and/or volunteer there. It's quite a place, and very heartening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
Oh how cool. I would love to vist. hopefully one day I will. Untill then I get their mag. and contribute as much as I can. I think what they do is a wonderful thing.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Thanks for the wonderfully detailed post about your experience. I'm glad it was such a positive trip for you. Sorry to hear about your allergies and altitude adjustment. I'm used to higher elevations since I live in Utah. (off topic) When I was in Florida a few years ago on a business trip, I remember seeing a sign that said, "Elevation 12." I kept wondering, where are the other digits on that sign?" ha ha ha

I loved all the stories about the dogs you walked and the advice for possible future adoptions.

I think I would be to emotional to volunteer there. I'd want to take EVERY dog home with me! That's why I don't volunteer at any local animal shelters. I send money to try to help out or bring in donations of needed items.

Do you have any pictures to share?

Old 09-06-2007, 03:15 PM

Do you have any pictures to share?

I took a disposable camera (not much into pics). I don't know how to post them, and haven't finished the roll yet. Sorry.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,065 times
Did you find Kanab a cool place to be?

Old 09-19-2007, 04:01 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,584 times
Wow what a wonderful place!!!! I would LOVE to be somewhere like that. I'm going to check it out, I'm sure they have a web site.

Right now I volunteer at the SPCA in the city I live in. I really love it and I am in charge of putting all their animals on petfinder. I wish I could put in more time but working, having a child, and going to school dont make it so easy but I do all that I can.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:10 PM

Did you find Kanab a cool place to be?

In a word, no, no and no.
Best Friends is the only thing going for many miles around. Put it this way, when I wanted to be sure I was on the right road to Kanab, a guy gave me directions "Go 40 miles and take a left."
The town of Kanab proper limits pets to two dogs per household, so many B.F. staff live outside the city limits.
Kanab itself has nothing particular for people that could be called "cool." You can get to a marginal pharmacy and a decent supermarket for basic needs.
Of course, if you're into outdoor recreation, the whole area is a wonder. I'm sure a lot of B.F. people strike up friendships and maybe interest groups among themselves. Of course, the many staff people are in the area of Kanab by necessity (although some people mention very long commutes).
But Kanab itself, no.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:30 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
Wow what a wonderful place!!!! I would LOVE to be somewhere like that. I'm going to check it out, I'm sure they have a web site.
Here's a link for you.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:25 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Here's a link for you.

Thanks so much. I checked it out, read their last issue of the magazine and was highly impressed. I want to go so bad!! I told my husband I'd love to open up a place like that when I retire. Thanks so much again for sharing your experience.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times
What a great post. Again, I love reading positive stories!!

Thanks for sharing your experience! It sounds like a wonderful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs