U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 PM

26 posts, read 79,471 times

Advertisements

I love Talon but she (like most pets) isn't exactly a "perfect" dog. By far her biggest problem is play nipping. She has done this since we first got her as a tiny pup and I have tried to break her of the habit for so long, because I knew she was going to grow up to be huge and it just wasn't acceptable. She doesn't do it so much with me but she does with my 4 year old twins, which needless to say is NOT ok, Talon is literally 3 times their size/weight and it upsets my kids a lot.

I should say that she is NOT an aggressive dog, and I do not consider this to be "biting". She only does it when she is very excited and wants to play...for example if she sees the kids swinging on the swingset, she will run up, mouth one of their arms and then back up, trying to get them to play. Then she'll run up, mouth their leg, back up, etc. It is extremely annoying not to mention that giant dog teeth on a toddler can hurt, even when Talon isn't really doing much of anything.

So here is what I have tried in the past to remedy this:
1) Bitter spray - did not work, she actually liked the taste and would mouth even more
2) Shaking pennies in a can - somewhat worked for a couple days, then it was like falling on deaf ears, didn't affect her at all
3) Holding her muzzle closed while telling her a firm NO - again, didn't work, it actually made her more agitated
4) Placing my fingers/hand to the back of her mouth to get her to release - nope, did nothing, she just seemed to think "mmm, more to chew on!"
5) Ignoring/walking away - OK, honestly, this is impossible, I have 2 small kids and they do not grasp the concept of ignoring the dog and walking away when she play nips

These 2 things seemed to have worked better and they are currently what I am using as methods to curb this play nipping.

1) Distraction - It seems if she has a toy or if I am playing fetch with her or some such thing, she isn't as likely to run up to my kids and play bite. I don't know if it is because she already has something in her mouth that she is playing with or what but I notice sometimes she will chase the girls but not try to nip when she is distracted with something else. However, I don't know how much this is really helping the actual issue of her nipping.

2) The Growl - OK, not sure what to call it, but when I notice Talon putting her mouth on anyone, I say "ACKKK!" or "ECKKK!" deep in my throat, loud enough to get her attention. It seems to somewhat work. I have noticed that if she hears me do this, she will at least start backing away a bit. It may only last for a few seconds before she is trying it again though But I keep at it, so far that has seen the best results, it has been several weeks with these 2 methods currently.

So am I on the right track? Will she ever get to a point where she completely stops play nipping? I would love for her to be able to run around with my girls without worrying that she will drag them off by the leg...

I should say also that as she has gotten older she has improved in general. She used to be mouthy all the time, with everything, for example when putting on a leash, or when my kids simply petted her. Now she allows me to put the leash on no problem, and most of the time she allows the kids to touch her all over (including her face) and she doesn't do a thing. So she has improved with the mouthiness, just not when it comes to play and being overly excited.

Sorry this was so long...I just have been dealing with this so long, I had to get it all out...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM

6,500 posts, read 11,266,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaaayUpNorth View Post

These 2 things seemed to have worked better and they are currently what I am using as methods to curb this play nipping.

1) Distraction - It seems if she has a toy or if I am playing fetch with her or some such thing, she isn't as likely to run up to my kids and play bite. I don't know if it is because she already has something in her mouth that she is playing with or what but I notice sometimes she will chase the girls but not try to nip when she is distracted with something else. However, I don't know how much this is really helping the actual issue of her nipping.

2) The Growl - OK, not sure what to call it, but when I notice Talon putting her mouth on anyone, I say "ACKKK!" or "ECKKK!" deep in my throat, loud enough to get her attention. It seems to somewhat work. I have noticed that if she hears me do this, she will at least start backing away a bit. It may only last for a few seconds before she is trying it again though But I keep at it, so far that has seen the best results, it has been several weeks with these 2 methods currently.
#2 is a good idea... except have whoever is being nipped squeal loudly the moment she gets her mouth on them. Then they should ignore her for a couple of minutes. That is how puppies learn bite inhibition in play. I'm inclined to think that if she gets the squeal and is ignored, she'll get the point. It needs to be done every time!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:09 PM

16,208 posts, read 23,592,834 times
You need to scream in pain. Like a hurt dog sounds, loud., the instant she puts her mouth near you. She will stop. Have your kids do that too. If your dog is normal, she will stop immediately. They do not want to hurt us....this is the sound a litter mate makes when they play fight....Also, I have taught my dogs too kiss my hand...by sayng kissy. And, another trick....use butter....dogs lick the butter...not sure this works on an older dog....they use it w/ puppies. But, your dog will probably get the idea. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaaayUpNorth View Post
I love Talon but she (like most pets) isn't exactly a "perfect" dog. By far her biggest problem is play nipping. She has done this since we first got her as a tiny pup and I have tried to break her of the habit for so long, because I knew she was going to grow up to be huge and it just wasn't acceptable. She doesn't do it so much with me but she does with my 4 year old twins, which needless to say is NOT ok, Talon is literally 3 times their size/weight and it upsets my kids a lot.

I should say that she is NOT an aggressive dog, and I do not consider this to be "biting". She only does it when she is very excited and wants to play...for example if she sees the kids swinging on the swingset, she will run up, mouth one of their arms and then back up, trying to get them to play. Then she'll run up, mouth their leg, back up, etc. It is extremely annoying not to mention that giant dog teeth on a toddler can hurt, even when Talon isn't really doing much of anything.

So here is what I have tried in the past to remedy this:
1) Bitter spray - did not work, she actually liked the taste and would mouth even more
2) Shaking pennies in a can - somewhat worked for a couple days, then it was like falling on deaf ears, didn't affect her at all
3) Holding her muzzle closed while telling her a firm NO - again, didn't work, it actually made her more agitated
4) Placing my fingers/hand to the back of her mouth to get her to release - nope, did nothing, she just seemed to think "mmm, more to chew on!"
5) Ignoring/walking away - OK, honestly, this is impossible, I have 2 small kids and they do not grasp the concept of ignoring the dog and walking away when she play nips

So am I on the right track? Will she ever get to a point where she completely stops play nipping? I would love for her to be able to run around with my girls without worrying that she will drag them off by the leg...

I should say also that as she has gotten older she has improved in general. She used to be mouthy all the time, with everything, for example when putting on a leash, or when my kids simply petted her. Now she allows me to put the leash on no problem, and most of the time she allows the kids to touch her all over (including her face) and she doesn't do a thing. So she has improved with the mouthiness, just not when it comes to play and being overly excited.

Sorry this was so long...I just have been dealing with this so long, I had to get it all out...

Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,997,962 times
you also need to realize that its up to YOU as the adult to make sure the kids are NOT being put in a situation where this happens...in other words you need to train the kids just as much as the dogs because the ingoring method is going to be your ABSOLUTE best chance at stopping the behaviour...
nipping s common puppy play...shes nipping at the kids because they are her "equals" since they are kids and arnt realy going to grasp the concept of ignoring her...when you cant supervie 100% the dog and the kids do not interact, 100% full stop, crate her, gate her or tether her to YOU, but the kids dont go neer her unles under 100% supervision. when she is with the kids the MOMENT she looks like shes getting over stimulated (roguh) with the kids the game STOPS, YOU get up, and remove the dog from the situation. put her in a time out...fun resumes when she is calm.

this "puppy nipping" (it is afterall a retained puppy behaviour) is also an obvious sign of excess energy...she needs an outlet...make some basic agility equiptment for the back yard, take her on at least 2 LONG walks every day ect..

Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM

13,655 posts, read 37,077,610 times
BenGay! Go to Family Dollar & buy a tube of the store brand of BenGay Rub a little on the girls arms hands & legs Do this for about a week then every other day then every 3rd day etc then once not need Only revert to it AS needed.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:12 AM

70 posts, read 199,201 times
It must bother you a lot! Did you ask help from your vet about this problem?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 AM

24,733 posts, read 14,868,102 times
Just give a consistent "ouch!" every time it play nips and then stop playing. Get up and leave the room and ignore the dog for a short time. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 AM

11,496 posts, read 25,217,831 times
One thing that might help is to have the kids tell Talon something to do every day and then reward her for doing it. It can be as simple as telling her to sit and then feeding her a treat. It helps the dog realize that the kids are the boss of the dog too and will help her learn to listen to them when they tell her no.

My youngest is very small for her age and we started doing that with our dog from the first day we brought her home. Now our dog obeys my daughter very well, even though she outweighs her.

Ginger was nippy when we got her. When saying no or ouch didn't work, I started just holding her muzzle shut until she looks away and whines. It worked pretty fast. Every now and then, maybe once a month, she will test me by yawning and then turning her head toward me with her mouth still open, and then closing her mouth around my wrist like she wonders how it got in there, and then I just remind her that dog teeth aren't allowed to touch people flesh, by holding her muzzle shut until she whines. Just be careful that your hand isn't covering the nose as well.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM

16,208 posts, read 23,592,834 times
Last summer when my grandkids and daughter were visiting my bulldog started trying to intimidate my grandson, 9 yrs old. I immediately had my grandson put Bella in a sit, then put her through her paces, several little tricks. Then I had him feed her a few times. My dog got the message pretty fast, she comes last over everyone, even the little people. It is a natural thing dogs do...testing. Make sure to stay on top of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs