U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 27,538 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We have a healthy and frisky 13 year old Shih Tzu girl. Recently, while watching someone else's young male Shih Tzu, she was raped by him as soon as he got the scent that she was menstruating.

She's never been fixed, and now, three weeks later, she's showing signs that she's pregnant. We're mortified because we don't know whether, at her age, she can safely give birth to puppies. She's a member of the family, we adore her, and her well being is paramount to us.

Does any one know of instances where a female Shih Tzu her age, or approx. her age, has successfully, and without any unreasonable risk, given birth?

As I said, we're in shock, uncertain about what steps to take with this situation. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 09:20 AM

251 posts, read 1,268,882 times
You need to talk to your vet. Has she had a litter before? Shih tzus can have trouble giving birth as it is. At 13 years of age, the potential for chromosome damage is very high, so even if she does give birth successfully, the puppies might not be 'normal'. But either way you need to talk to a vet because lots of things need to be taken into consideration at this point....including how safe an abortion is for her if need be. Why isn't your dog spayed?

Old 09-23-2007, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 27,538 times
Thanks for your reply. (I'm having trouble with my dialup connection, so my reply may appear more than once, sorry).

No, she's never had a litter before. And, yes, we've brought her to a vet, as recently as two days ago, on Friday.

We were hoping the vet would shed some light on what course of action she recommended we follow. But, instead, she seemed to be willing to go along with whatever decision we took, saying that, if we either elected to let her have her litter, or decided on an abortion, the doggie would be "fine."

There was no real recommendation, which is what we needed. So, we still don't know what to do, and we spent money on a visit.

As for the doggie not being spayed, we just kept putting it off, and tried to keep her away from most male dogs for years.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:48 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,760,545 times
How far along is she? If not to far I would have the pups aborted. I think that 13 is to old for any dog to have pups. Maybe you should talk to a different vet.

I just think it's sad either way for this poor dog.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:39 PM

5,195 posts, read 17,341,984 times
It's difficult with any small dog whose of a normal age for gestation, let alone adding in to her geriatric age. Gestation is 60 days,when she starts panting intensely she's in labor and should be tended to by the vet.

Not sure what your vet would say, but she might still be not far enough along to do a spay/abort. I'm not saying that to open a can of worms as to what folks think of that, merely putting it out there as a suggestion.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:59 PM

13,600 posts, read 36,829,174 times
Get the dog spayed now or look forward to c section & posibly loosing her.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Wow...I think I would find a different vet. I did a little looking online and there was a report of a dog having a litter at 14, but it was also a larger dog, and most of the puppies were born dead.

Did the vet say for sure the dog was pregnant? Like do a test? Before everyone gets worked up? That would be the first thing I do.

If she is...well....a litter of puppies...even one or two....is going to take alot out of her. Everything needed for the birth process will have stiffened with age. While I might take a chance with a ***** that has had a litter, if she was a 'bigger' shih tzu, because things have had a chance to 'spread out', in this case....no way. She could break something like her pelvis. It would be doubtful if it would be safe to have the litter at home anyway, and probably would require the pupies being born at the vet's office.

Then there is the problem of millk production, IF the puppies are born. IF they lived, you would most likely have to hand raise them.

If the dog is pregnant, at this age there is a good chance she could spontaneously abort the puppies herself anyway....but...in every thing I read on this (older ******* giving birth)...the ***** died in the process. There is also the chance that the puppies would die in utero and she would have trouble reabsorbing them, leading to infection.

Again, the chromosome deterioration of her eggs at this age would probably not bring a live puppy. Seeing as they tied once, and her eggs are fewer, she probably would only have one or two puppies in her. The chances of them being born alive are very poor. Ones that might make it could be retarded in the dog sense, or have a host of other health problems caused by mutated genes (chromosomes that didn't split, etc.).

It really is not worth attempting to let her go through a pregnancy and there is no 'cheap' way out of this. Dogs don't have a shut off that causes menopause like in people....they may go into heat fewer times as they age, but it can go on indefinitely. Dogs were not meant to live this long and this is one of the problems as we artificially lengthen their lives. I know of a 16 year old pomeranian who was 'raped' by a westie....she had to be put down because the dog broke her back (she was old and brittle) during the process.

If it were me, I would have a blood test done to make sure she IS healthy and can handle being put under, and I would have her spayed/abortion all at once. You should have her teeth cleaned too while she is under...that will save you some money down the road as that is usually the next problem older dogs have.

Good Luck and I hope this was helpful.

PLEASE PEOPLE SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS!!!!!

Old 09-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Wow...never occurred to me that the PROPER NAME for a female dog would be edited out!

Old 09-23-2007, 02:35 PM

5,195 posts, read 17,341,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
Wow...never occurred to me that the PROPER NAME for a female dog would be edited out!
LOL, guess too many use it in a derogatory manner. I was gong to term it as such myself

Old 09-23-2007, 10:52 PM

16,489 posts, read 23,368,406 times
It is hard on a dog that age going year after year with 2 season a yr. As I am sure you know by now, you should have never allowed any male dog even close to her when in heat. Dogs aren't "raped", they mated. I would find another vet for sure. Having a litter in general is easier on a smaller dog than a large one, but she is 13 yrs. old. Get another opinion or even two and decide from there. Was this a Shih Tzu as well or not that bred to her? If it was a dog much larger than her that is a real issue as the puppies could be large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs