Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:57 AM

522 posts, read 1,406,038 times

Advertisements

How'd you leash train your dogs?
Mine are still young, they're only 4 months old. They're the same age but one seems to be easier to train. I got him potty trained first, and he doesn't seem to mind the leash but still needs some direction with it.

The other one hates his leash. Every time he sees it he hides under the bed. The times I have gotten it on him he won't budge. He'd just sit there, solid as a rock. So I tried tugging him (I use a harness) to get him moving, so what does he do? He drops to the floor and splays out his body. I swear, he's like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Put it on then ignor...tho watch he dont get tangled in furniture!! Give him a week or more just dragging it. then You pick it up & trail behind him. Take all the time HE needs...dont rush! Then to get him to Follow you offer treats NO DRAGGING!! Talk to him Pet Him even for tiny steps!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,869 times
I agree let him walk around the house with the leash attached and get used to it,I personally dont like a harness ,you have more control of your dog with a collar,but if you dont keep control of your dog it can slip out and chase what ever,this is why my wife uses a harness,its easier than making your dog obey you....but as usual....I am probably wrong....

Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
Let them drag the leash around - but only when you're there to supervise!

Give them AMAZING treats when putting it on (chicken, cheese or steak - not crappy 'biscuits' from the store). Make it FUN - bring a toy!

LOTS of praise when they do the right thing.

Take a look at 'The Power of Positive Dog Training' by Pat Miller - a GREAT book!

And, of course, NO DRAGGING. EVER.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:43 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,530 times
My little 5 month old puppy is pretty stubborn. She leads me around sniffing when we go out for potty breaks. If i stop and change direction, she becomes lead weight and I would have to drag her so I pick her up and move where I want to go then put her down. She is pretty defiant at times and strongwilled. I have another poodle almost 11 years old and when she was a puppy was quite submissive so very different personalities. The puppy almost seems to be the alpha dog now and is 1/4 the size of the older dog!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
My little 5 month old puppy is pretty stubborn. She leads me around sniffing when we go out for potty breaks. If i stop and change direction, she becomes lead weight and I would have to drag her so I pick her up and move where I want to go then put her down. She is pretty defiant at times and strongwilled. I have another poodle almost 11 years old and when she was a puppy was quite submissive so very different personalities. The puppy almost seems to be the alpha dog now and is 1/4 the size of the older dog!
Then you need to train her. Check in Pat Miller's book (which I cited above) and look at 'loose leash walking.'

Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Here are a couple good websites on the subject of leash training for puppies with some different methods:

Training A Puppy To Walk On A Leash - Loose Leash Walking For Young Puppies (might come from the same source Viralmd sited above)

Leash Training for Puppies - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:13 PM

522 posts, read 1,406,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Mine does exactly that!

Thanks everyone. I'll try let him walk around in it.
Treats don't work with him. He likes 'em but he hates his leash more than he likes treats.
I use a harness on him because he's a small dog and I don't like the way using a collar on a leash pulls on his neck. With a harness I feel I have more control because I'm guiding his body, not just hanging on to his neck.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
Mine does exactly that!

Treats don't work with him. He likes 'em but he hates his leash more than he likes treats.
I use a harness on him because he's a small dog and I don't like the way using a collar on a leash pulls on his neck. With a harness I feel I have more control because I'm guiding his body, not just hanging on to his neck.
If he doesn't like the treats, then you're not using the right ones! Chicken, cheese, and steak! NOT the usual dog treats!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:20 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
Mine does exactly that!

A harness is the way to go for the small ones! Mine loved taking walks from the get go. I would suggest a puppy class. Observe it first before signing up, as some are better than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs