Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:05 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,083,683 times

Advertisements

I am giving a talk to some seniors about rescuing dogs and the benefits. I thought I would also bring up fostering too.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I can/should include
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,278,422 times
Keeper it may depend up where you are talking to these seniors. Is it a meet up or in a senior center. My focus would be different for either. (one might be more involved than the other)

One thing you might include is your ? help in selecting the right dog for their circumstances.

I am 60 and almost ready to retire. My beloved weimaraner is 16.5 years old. I can't handle the physical demands of another puppy at my age after he goes. And I dread the thought of training another stubborn and highly intelligent young dog that can out think anything on wheels.

So I MIGHT adopt an older rehome weimaraner or one that has calmed down. or two.

But I have put considerable thought into some things 1: I hesitate to get a long lived dog since I am on my own that might live beyond me. and 2. maybe another breed might be easier for me to handle but yet provide for protection and companionship. 3. I just do not like small dogs but do like sporting dogs. However I might be better off with another breed. And I would be no good with a hard case abuse behavioral problem adoption at this point in my life.

So if you could go into the selection process or at least eliminate those concerns, it might help alleviate those types of concern.

I wold be glad to get an adult or senior big black dog from the shelter when the time comes. I just can't train and keep up with a young one anymore. Although I was thinking of putting up an agility course in my fenced yard and give that a go if I ended up with a young energetic dog. I could walk while they ran

Old 06-17-2012, 05:13 PM

13,914 posts, read 39,136,155 times
Most older people live in housing where they Cant hve pets. Or there are size & breed restrictions As well as exra costs of Pet deposits & extra rent! And Apts Wont allow Fostering!

Old 06-17-2012, 05:13 PM

8,457 posts, read 10,873,667 times
You might tell them that medical studies on seniors have found that those who have a pet seem to have fewer ailments as opposed to those seniors who do not have a pet.
They are sharper in mind, are physically in better shape.
Caring for a pet gives them not only some responsibility, but also gives them something to look forward too.
The benefits to seniors who care for pets are much greater than for those who do not.
If you need more info, google "seniors and pets."
Bob.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM

3,604 posts, read 9,025,108 times
Dogs can bring vitality to their lives. Folks with arthritis can benefit from a nice slow walk with an older dog. A dog can help lower high blood pressure, calm anxiety and be a friend when you feel lonely. Taking care of a dog can bring about new social interactions with other dog people, possibly even be trained to visit senior centers or help with children who have difficulty reading. I think one issue with some seniors is that they want to be able to travel, maybe forming a dog sitter network with other seniors could be helpful.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,845,993 times
If the organization pays for food and care for fostered dogs, that might help somebody decide but then you might end up with somebody who sabotages adoption cause they don't want to give up their free dog.

If we get another dog , it will be a senior dog which nobody else wants and which might be PTS. Guilt is always a good motivator.

I think the exercise dogs need would be a real deterrent to fostering dogs unless someone had a back yard and could play with the dog outside. Seniors are afraid of falling and walking a dog can sometimes be fearful even though it is good exercise.

I think you would have better luck trying to find foster families for cats. 4 of my 65 y.o. facebook friends have just recently adopted their first cats after lifetime of dogs.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,083,683 times
Excellent .. Keep em coming. We have around 20 or more seniors in our lunch group. Yes I am one of them!!!
I have done some research but I know you all have your own opinion.

I thought about mentioning the different breeds in a general way.. such as Great Pyrenese need a job and lots of exercise. Weims are too smart for the own good and can open doors, garbage cans and ice chest. Yes, that is what mine does.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,845,993 times
a lot of people like the way border collies look but they are a breed which needs a job too. I like my Bichon and Maltese cause they are good watchdogs (almost too good) and because they are little velcro dogs. They are lap dogs too. If these seniors are mobile and enjoy getting out, walking a dog is good exercise but also a very social thing to do as you meet lots of new friends when walking a dog.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:43 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,658,437 times
Grooming is also a big thing with some dogs. A chihuahua or greyhound takes almost 0 grooming maintenance, while a collie or afghan might take at least once a day! If you can steer potential adopters toward dogs that will suit their lifestyles - someone who is a little OCD about a clean house probably won't want to vacuum their house every day, or groom a sheepdog - but they might be able to take the smaller, lower-maintenance dogs.

We adopted a herd dog puppy (Aussie shepherd/heeler cross) because we had bought a farm and were raising cows. We needed a smart, active dog to work; but he has become a constant companion to DH and a sharp watchdog as well. When he's bored he brings us a ball or stick to throw until he wears himself out chasing it. Some seniors might not appreciate a dog who wants to play in the snow or swim in the river - but you might be surprised at the seniors who do want to be more, not less, active, and might need a good reason - like a dog.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 PM

17,028 posts, read 21,709,421 times
Pit Bulls might be good for old people that complain a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs