Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,656 times

Advertisements

I just got Naala and Abby together! We just did a short session, but they did great. The muzzles give me a 100% level of comfort so I don't sabotage us, and the girls are getting used to wearing them. I don't think we'll need muzzles forever, but they're a nice tool for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I just got Naala and Abby together! We just did a short session, but they did great. The muzzles give me a 100% level of comfort so I don't sabotage us, and the girls are getting used to wearing them. I don't think we'll need muzzles forever, but they're a nice tool for the time being.
That's wonderful news!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
not to comepltly derail but i DEMAND Boerboel pictures...no requesting...DEMANDING...i LOVE boerboel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Never heard of them. I'd be intersted in seeing what one looks like!
Boerboels are part of the mastiff breed from South Africa. They are very strong, love to pull, and the most agile and most protective of the mastiff breed. They have been known to fight to the death to protect their owners. Although they tend to be smaller than other mastiffs, they still weigh in somewhere between 110 and 175 pounds.

Boerboel Pictures

Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
I am glad to hear the muzzles are working out for you. I had to keep my Blizzard muzzled whenever I left the house for about 18 months, until Buddy matured. However, muzzles are not a cure or treatment for aggressive behavior. The first time I left Blizzard unmuzzled I came home to find her bloody and limping. She had a couple of punctures on her neck and head, and one on her left leg. Buddy was uninjured. I treated her and she was fine three days later. That was the last time Blizzard and Buddy fought, just over five years ago.

I knew Buddy would be able to take care of himself, once he was allowed to fully mature.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
What a relief this must be for you. I'm happy for your girls and for you. Baby steps...

Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Boerboels are part of the mastiff breed from South Africa. They are very strong, love to pull, and the most agile and most protective of the mastiff breed. They have been known to fight to the death to protect their owners. Although they tend to be smaller than other mastiffs, they still weigh in somewhere between 110 and 175 pounds.

Boerboel Pictures
TY, Glitch. What a powerful looking dog! Look at those chests! Talk about feeling secure if you own one.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:46 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I like big dogs. The bigger the better, in my opinion.

I also prefer mastiffs because of the way they behave if they perceive a possible threat. Unlike most dogs that will bark and make a false charge, mastiffs will not bark and will insert themselves between the perceived threat and their master. That is precisely the kind of behavior I want in my dogs. I do not want my dogs harassing moose, bear, or any of the other wild critters in the area.
Same here always been a mastiff person, drool and all LOL. As an owner of two GM's I agree these guys are more of a "thinker."

OP that's great news slow and steady.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
Same here always been a mastiff person, drool and all LOL. As an owner of two GM's I agree these guys are more of a "thinker."

OP that's great news slow and steady.
LOL! My Buddy is not a drooler. He likes smelling my food from a distance while licking the air.

However, my Bizzard will sit and watch me eat while drooling, and she is an Alaskan Husky.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
So glad to hear your work is paying off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
OP,
Hypothyroidism can cause inexplicable aggression, even if the dog(s) show no other symptoms of the disease. Have you had their thyroid levels checked recently .... a FULL panel? If one or both are hypothyroid, the meds are inexpensive and make a world of difference.
Good point, good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Years ago I had two large males {55 and 85 pounds}. They started to fight when the older female passed away.....up until then they were best buddies.

One vet said I was going to have to choose.....I told him that wasn't going to happen.....I would have their canine teeth smoothed down and capped first.....at least they couldn't hurt each other. The 55 pounder needed stitches at the vets twice.

Then I spoke to another vet.....he said they were now fighting to be the top dog.....a place that had been held by the older female.

He told me to choose who I thought should be top dog.....I chose the 55 pounder since he had seniority. lol

He told me to show him preference.....always feed him first.....give him his treat first.....and I chose him to take the female's place in my bedroom........and it worked.

This obviously isn't your situation.....just an example of how once you figure out WHY they are fighting you can set out to solve the problem......and I don't know how you are going to figure it out.....I wish I did.

BTW......the BEST way I found to break up their fights was to run out the side door around to the front porch and knock on the front door and ring the doorbell.......it worked EVERY TIME! They were more concerned about who could be at the door than they were with continuing their fight! LOL

I often wondered if a neighbor ever saw me do this........I wouldn't have been surprised if the men in little white coats showed up to take me into protective custody.
I love the idea of ringing the doorbell to break up a dog fight.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
"The girls are getting used to wearing them" ? I guess my advice about excepting the reality that they are dogs did not fly with you.

I have a Rabbit hound that looks like a hyena. One aging Beagle...My daughter brings over her very young and extremely strong..a big goof of a mutt. He is a super muscular cross. American bull dog and Rotty ...He loves to leap and play- he's a tank.

The older dogs are slowly excepting him...The Beagle still complains loudly about his presence..My other dog who is a fixed male and older - cowers because he knows that the big young dog is stronger...once in a while he will attempt to guard his territory..and the older mutt will finally snap and challenge the big young dog.

I put a stop to it immediately - I grab the older dog by the collar and let him know I AM THE BOSS..not him,,and it is MY territory, not his...It's a case of power...being a male makes it easier than it would be for you.

The old dog is arrogant and does not like my authority..but he knows if he does not back off- I may give him a reason to fear me- I avoid that but I do get close to this happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs