Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

We only do road trips with the dog when we can be at our destination by day's end, so the dog only accompanies us on trips that are up to 8-10 hours' drive to our destination. I've never attempted to take him into a hotel, no matter how pet-friendly. He would assuredly bark when crated in a new setting. We tend to only take him with when we are visiting my family, who are cool with him lodging there with us, no hotel needed. If this isn't the case, we board him when we travel. Our vet does boarding, which is more economical than the boutique-y doggie day cares, plus, the vet knows him well.

He's a great car rider. We just stop at rest stops where we can get out and walk him on leash from time to time throughout the ride, get some water, etc. We don't do sit-down restaurants when we have him along, just get food that can be taken with/eat outside/whatever. Even in summer's heat, he can easily lie under a picnic table at a rest top in the shade, leashed, while we eat our sandwiches. If we stop for a restroom break and weather is inclement, one will stay in the A/C or heated, running car with him, and then take a turn when the other comes back, but usually, we use that as an opp. to walk/poop him, too. I don't do solo dog road trips...there are always two of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:03 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Not being able to go to the restroom for less than 5 minutes without worrying about your dog stif of heat exhaustion sounds like either you're dog is extremely heat intolerant or just in terrible shape. I've taken my dog on several roadtrips and he is fine when I have to run in to get food or pee. I just park in the shade, leave him some chilled water and leave a window a little open to help air circulation. No issues whatsoever. Of course this is dog specific, but those saying that you can never leave your dog in the car for a minute are way too paranoid.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:16 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Not being able to go to the restroom for less than 5 minutes without worrying about your dog stif of heat exhaustion sounds like either you're dog is extremely heat intolerant or just in terrible shape. I've taken my dog on several roadtrips and he is fine when I have to run in to get food or pee. I just park in the shade, leave him some chilled water and leave a window a little open to help air circulation. No issues whatsoever. Of course this is dog specific, but those saying that you can never leave your dog in the car for a minute are way too paranoid.
Um, my dog is in good shape (except for her joint issues, which have nothing to do with that).

You cannot leave your dog in a car in the summer in the south, and sometimes there's no shade. When it's not the summer I do that, but the OP posted about the summer.

All I have to say is:

How Hot Do Cars Get?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Um, my dog is in good shape (except for her joint issues, which have nothing to do with that).

You cannot leave your dog in a car in the summer in the south, and sometimes there's no shade. When it's not the summer I do that, but the OP posted about the summer.

All I have to say is:

How Hot Do Cars Get?
It doesn't get to those temperatures in 5 minutes. You're still paranoid. I swear. You'd rather have people never take their dogs anywhere than sit in a car for a very short period of time.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
It doesn't get to those temperatures in 5 minutes. You're still paranoid. I swear. You'd rather have people never take their dogs anywhere than sit in a car for a very short period of time.
Then I'll happily be paranoid - and keep my dog from being overheated

Old 06-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Then I'll happily be paranoid - and keep my dog from being overheated
What youdo is up to you, but to the original poster, the car does not become a furnace during a bathroom break. Utilize common sense and realize that from the time you leave your car, a 20 degree temperature rise will occur in the first 10 minutes (for an average vehicle in the sun) so if you left you car at 80 degrees in 100 degree weather, it will be an uncomfortable 100 when you get back. The slope will less lessen, but it will increase past ambient and will threaten the health of your animal. Be conscientious of this, but you do not need to be paranoid like some people. Your dog does not simply keel over immediately from a little heat.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:14 PM

You are telling me that you leave your dog in the car for 10 minutes in 100 degree weather in Houston?

I wish I lived there so I could call the cops! I would not hesitate to call the police if I pulled up to a parking spot in 100-degree Houston weather and saw a dog in the car next to me.

I've done it here in NC, in fact.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You are telling me that you leave your dog in the car for 10 minutes in 100 degree weather in Houston?

I wish I lived there so I could call the cops! I would not hesitate to call the police if I pulled up to a parking spot in 100-degree Houston weather and saw a dog in the car next to me.

I've done it here in NC, in fact.
Mod snip My dog has had no issues in all the times I've had to run in for a minute. Do I leave him in a sunny spot in the heat of the day for that long a time. Hardly, as I know what the temperature is doing. Has he ever been in distress, nope. Mod snip

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-27-2012 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: We're not calling other posters crazy...just not.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
This month the little magizine that Best friends puts out and sends to members has an article about traveling with pets. Just got it yesterday. They even list 3 hotel chains that are dog friendly and say some will arrange a pet sitter if you need to go out. OP if you can get a copy from some one you might want to take a look at it. If you do not know anyone that gets it and would like a copy let me know in a Private message and I will send you my copy or pehaps a photo copy.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:37 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
When we had our 4 small dogs, we traveled w/ 2 each in wire crates - the car was airconditioned but the wire crates gave better ventilation - we would give them quick potty breaks too and would generally go to the restrooms fast and separately so one of us was near the car.

A story I heard - someone stayed at a pet-friendly motel and the dog went under the bed and found some rat poison pellets - it kind of made me paranoid - probably a situation like that would happen very seldom but I woudnt take the chance.

We also would go to dog events where lots of other dogs were staying in the same motel, we always crated them or brought in the ex-pen so they didnt have total freedom in the room if we were gone - but if we were on a solo trip, just ourselves and our dogs, we never left them alone in the room - they werent big barkers (in fact we have one now who barely barks at all) - I just didnt want to call attention to them or us, ie it was a strange place w/ strange ppl and smells but they seemed to take it all in stride.

Very sad story about the service dog getting out of the room and hit by a car, what a shame...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs