Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:44 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times

Advertisements

I meant to mention this earlier - some dogs are able to open hotel doors. I once worked as a front desk clerk at a dog friendly hotel, many years ago - the guest's dogs opened the door themselves and came on in to the lobby behind another guest. It was great fun trying to corral them (it was for me, anyway). But could have been a tragedy. The guest was horrified, especially since he'd said he only had one dog and had snuck the other in, lol. I didn't give him a hard time but did ask that he not leave them in the room alone anymore since they were crafty enough to leave...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
You are telling me that you leave your dog in the car for 10 minutes in 100 degree weather in Houston?

I wish I lived there so I could call the cops! I would not hesitate to call the police if I pulled up to a parking spot in 100-degree Houston weather and saw a dog in the car next to me.

I've done it here in NC, in fact.
Quote:
Mod snip

(not sure how we went from 10 minutes to 1 minute) (I'm done arguing with you about this - fingers crossed for your dog's health)
Another poster mentioned the 1 minute. A pee break is a few minutes , so I said 5. I found information on heat rise based on 10 minute increments. Thats where those numbers came from. I just think it's extreme thinking your dog is going to die in 10 minutes in a car, even in hot weather. I've never heard of such an incidence. Usually owners are gone for a much longer interval. I never go shopping or eating at a restaurant with the dog in the car, but can't imagine going without peeing because of a fear of heat. It seems to me that common sense is what's needed. If you couldn't handle sitting in a car for a given amount of time, your dog can't, but there is a vast difference in the stories of neglect and tragedy and what is being recommended in this thread.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-27-2012 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I meant to mention this earlier - some dogs are able to open hotel doors. I once worked as a front desk clerk at a dog friendly hotel, many years ago - the guest's dogs opened the door themselves and came on in to the lobby behind another guest. It was great fun trying to corral them (it was for me, anyway). But could have been a tragedy. The guest was horrified, especially since he'd said he only had one dog and had snuck the other in, lol. I didn't give him a hard time but did ask that he not leave them in the room alone anymore since they were crafty enough to leave...
Strange place, strange noises, strange smells. A recipe for disaster leaving your pet alone. My dog would bark even when I was there. Luckily he quieted down fairly quickly. I really didn't want to get kicked out on a rainy night. I pretty much checked in the hotel right before bed just so I could avoid having to go anywhere. That's probably the best way to do it. FWIW, Comfort Inn has alot of dog friendly hotels.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:47 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Another poster mentioned the 1 minute. A pee break is a few minutes , so I said 5. I found information on heat rise based on 10 minute increments. Thats where those numbers came from. I just think it's extreme thinking your dog is going to die in 10 minutes in a car, even in hot weather. I've never heard of such an incidence. Usually owners are gone for a much longer interval. I never go shopping or eating at a restaurant with the dog in the car, but can't imagine going without peeing because of a fear of heat. It seems to me that common sense is what's needed. If you couldn't handle sitting in a car for a given amount of time, your dog can't, but there is a vast difference in the stories of neglect and tragedy and what is being recommended in this thread.
ok, really...you need to just back off now.

If I had to pee THAT BAD I supposed I'd figure out a way, but if I'm traveling solo I'd rather not leave her in the car in the heat of summer if it can be avoided, for the reasons stated in the link I posted about dogs in hot cars.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
You can also leave your car running with the A/C or heat on, using an extra key set to lock it. There just isn't any good reason for a dog to be sitting in a car in extreme temperatures on either end of the spectrum. Even for those who insist that a few minutes in a hot car (and, to a lesser extent) cold car is fine, you also run the risk of those who disagree with you reporting you for what they perceive as animal abuse or neglect.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
We took our dog on her first very long road trip last summer, 3-4 travel days until we got to our destination, which also included a hotel part of the time, and it was a great experience. Turned out she's an amazing traveler. I had really dreaded it, but after the first two nights she understood that motel rooms are basically all the same, and she'd go to "her spot" where we put her bedding, and looked for her water bowl next to the desk. Really cute to watch--an example of dogs being able to generalize! No restaurant dinners except for dog-friendly outside areas. Lots of fast food and supermarket sandwiches. When shopping/pit stops, we'd take turns sitting with her in the car with A/C on, or find a shady spot with the sun roof open and the windows cracked, for a very short period of time. What was worst for us was no visits to state parks, music events or museums--we hadn't thought of that. But the trade-off was having her there with us, enjoying the sights. But I think it would be very hard to do a solo trip for more than one overnighter, even with a dog used to traveling, unless it involves some pet-sitting. We'd never, ever leave her in the hotel room, for the reasons mentioned in other posts.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 AM

12 posts, read 12,709 times
1. It's hot outside, especially at noon. You stay in the car and use some cooling mats for your dog. Cooling mats are really useful during travels.

2. You need to carry a crate.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:10 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Not being able to go to the restroom for less than 5 minutes without worrying about your dog stif of heat exhaustion sounds like either you're dog is extremely heat intolerant or just in terrible shape. I've taken my dog on several roadtrips and he is fine when I have to run in to get food or pee. I just park in the shade, leave him some chilled water and leave a window a little open to help air circulation. No issues whatsoever. Of course this is dog specific, but those saying that you can never leave your dog in the car for a minute are way too paranoid.
Some things to think about...

It is illegal in many places to leave a dog in a car and in some, like where I live, it doesn't matter what the temperature is. It could be 35 degrees. Wouldn't matter, still illegal.

If you go into the bathroom and slip and hit your head and pass out, you could come back to find your dogs no longer alive. The best case scenario, you'll have a broken window and a hefty fine to pay.

In that 5 minute time span, your car can heat up 10 degrees. Cars can easily reach 200 degrees. The heat enters the windows and gets absorbed by the interior and then the windows act like insulation to keep the heat in. If you're wearing a fur coat and don't know how to open a car door, this can definitely be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You can also leave your car running with the A/C or heat on, using an extra key set to lock it. There just isn't any good reason for a dog to be sitting in a car in extreme temperatures on either end of the spectrum. Even for those who insist that a few minutes in a hot car (and, to a lesser extent) cold car is fine, you also run the risk of those who disagree with you reporting you for what they perceive as animal abuse or neglect.

Still illegal and still not a good idea.
There was a story not long ago (I think it was even posted on this forum) about a police officer that had his police dog in the car with the air on. Came back to the car a little while later, found the car shut off for whatever reason (cars are machines, it happens) and the dog died.

Last edited by cittic10; 06-28-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 AM

For the record, I do not take my dog with me just to leave him while I go shopping, but when he and I travel to see the parents, traveling alone with him is the only option, so I do my best to make him comfortable and safe. He has water always and I never take him in an unfair conditioned car. I park in the shade at gas stations (they pretty much all have awnings) and give him some cool water while I run in. But leaving the car running is not an option at the interval (have it stolen with him) I have to run in. The demonization of owners who (however briefly) leave their animals in a vehicle is amazing. It's not a black and white issue as I pointed out. I'll refrain from my more passionate comments on this subject. I've said what I've had to say by now.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 AM

3 posts, read 9,243 times
Default Traveling with Pets

I have a small Maltipoo who travels with me most of the time. She is my little "service dog" who is my companion. There are so many people who have pets today and take them along where ever they go. When I go shopping, my dog goes also. If I am traveling and need to stop, my dog goes in with me.

Recently on an Antique Shopping Trip, as I entered the store I would ask if it was okay for her to be there. Not a one said no. Had they said no, I would have left and not shopped in their store.

I know my dog is small which is a great benefit for taking her with me, that is why I chose a samll dog.
I carry her or she is in her pet sling around my neck and next to my body so she can sleep. I carry her water, food, pick-up bags and everything with me. She is always clean and have on clean dresses (yes, I know ~ but she is so much fun). She does not bark. She will let anyone come up to her and pet her.

Common sense tells you do not take her to the grocery store! Most Resturants can not allow dogs. Some eating places with patios will let your pet eat outside with you and even give them a bone.
Hotels have always been receptive as they know when I make my reservations, ther will be a small dog.

All dogs are not made for traveling and such public exposure, none the less, they are part of our lives and should always be treated with the same respect we want from them. Be very careful about treatment of pets during this hot balzing summer and also remember some of our four legged friends will also get cold in the winter is left in a vehicle.

Love your pet because they love you! ;~)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs