Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:34 AM

588 posts, read 1,439,408 times

Advertisements

I live in an area with an anti-tethering law. I am curious if what I do with my dog is illegal or even just unkind.

Some general information:
My yellow lab is very much an indoor dog. She has free roam of the main and upper floors when I am home and is allowed in the basement if I am also down there. While I am gone, she is in a large crate on the main floor of the house and she actually likes her crate (she will go in there to rest even when she doesn't have to.)

I have a fenced back yard and she does go out there to "take care of business" and to hang out with me when I am gardening or hanging out on my patio. The backyard is heavily shaded and I do keep fresh water available for her when we are outside.

Now for the question about legality and cruelty:
When I am out front gardening or hanging out, I put my girl on a 30-foot tie-out so she can hang out with me, but still be safe (not roaming free). The longest I ever leave her unattended on the tether is 30-60 seconds if I have to run inside to grab something or use the bathroom, or if I have to run around back for something. When she is out front with me, she also always has a bowl of fresh water. My front yard isn't shaded at all, so if it is hot out, I either don't bring her out with me or I only let her out for a brief period.

Am I breaking the law or being cruel by using a tie-out when I am outside with my dog? She seems SO happy to be right there with me, which is why I use the tie-out. But I don't want to break the law or be unkind by using it.

Am I "good" with what I do or do I need to make some changes?

By the way, the tie out is attached to her regular collar when I use it. She doesn't have a chain around her neck or leg.

Last edited by patriot201; 07-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Forgot an punctuation mark! :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
I live in an area with very few laws.

But, if I lived near you...I would just get a slip from my vet saying my dogs has to get out for sunlight.

In fact anything your vet writes is fine.

I run one of my dogs every day he is here from a pick up truck.

I have a slip from the vet saying it is for the health of the dog.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,378,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post

Am I breaking the law or being cruel by using a tie-out when I am outside with my dog? She seems SO happy to be right there with me, which is why I use the tie-out. But I don't want to break the law or be unkind by using it.
No, on the contrary, it sounds like you are a very responsible dog owner restraining your dog.*
You are obviously there with the dog, not chaining the dog up to a tree with no food or water because they don't want the dog in the house.

Unfortunately many of the anti-tether laws are poorly written and some can be interpreted to mean that something as simple as putting your dog on a leash could be illegal. It just depends on where you are as to what you're doing is actually legal or not. It's a question for your local animal control or code enforcement.

* This is coming from someone who turns people in every time I see a dog chained up.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:52 AM

I just found this, so I *think* I am protected by law (except during those few 30-60 second periods that I have to run inside). I am still worried, though, about if I am breaking the law or even just being unkind.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
No, on the contrary, it sounds like you are a very responsible dog owner restraining your dog.*
You are obviously there with the dog, not chaining the dog up to a tree with no food or water because they don't want the dog in the house.

Unfortunately many of the anti-tether laws are poorly written and some can be interpreted to mean that something as simple as putting your dog on a leash could be illegal. It just depends on where you are as to what you're doing is actually legal or not. It's a question for your local animal control or code enforcement.

* This is coming from someone who turns people in every time I see a dog chained up.

Thank you! You just made me feel SO MUCH better!

I feel like it would actually be MORE unkind to my particular dog (who is VERY attached to me and VERY social) to make her stay inside when I am out, but I just wanted to make sure.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
I'd be surprised if you were breaking the law, and you certainly aren't being unkind. If you worry about it, call your local animal control and ask them for specifics, or explain what you've told us. I'm sure they'll say it's fne. And most areas aren't lucky enough to have an AC that actively looks for abuse or neglect anyway. They generally only respond to complaints from neighbors.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Most tethering laws, if they exist, that I'm familiar with involve leaving dogs tied unattended. In my dog's case, he may NOT be outdoors untethered...whether that is being walked on a leash, or tied to a stake. But he is never unattended when tethered. He is able to climb fences, so our backyard fence does not contain him. For him to enjoy outdoor time without running off and being at risk of being hit, tethering, whether to a leash or tie-out, is necessary for his safety. He's a hunting breed, and will clear fences to chase prey, otherwise. If animal control came into my yard as I hang out outdoors with my dog, they'd be hard pressed to argue that my dog is being neglected. Untethering him would be irresponsible and negligent, and definitely not done with his safety in mind. Not allowing him outdoors at all would also be negligent.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Concur that the OP is absolutely not being unkind and I'd be really surprised if anyone considered this illegal tethering. OP is protecting the dog, keeping him company and getting him outside.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
think about this. you would be turned in by a neighbor or somebody who noticed your tethered dog only if you were not present. I am very anti tethering and I put my dogs on a leash on the front porch or by the garage so they can "be with" me while I do my garden work. I think this is what you are doing. It keeps every body happy and connected. don't worry. Tethering means putting the dog on a chain or rope for prolonged period of time without human supervision. Even our strong anti tethering dog says you can keep a dog tied up outside for no longer than 3 hours which seems reasonable to some but obviously something I would never do.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:02 AM

Thanks, everyone! I just wanted to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs