Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM

18 posts, read 52,382 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Planning to move from NY to Henderson in August. Has anyone travelled with a dog (60 lbs) cross country and how did you do it? I'm seeing most airlines will not allow pets in cargo if any part of the itinerary will be above 85 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,493,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul3086 View Post
Hi All,
Planning to move from NY to Henderson in August. Has anyone travelled with a dog (60 lbs) cross country and how did you do it? I'm seeing most airlines will not allow pets in cargo if any part of the itinerary will be above 85 degrees.
Yes, I traveled with my dog cross country in a car and several times in airplanes.

Where is Henderson?

If I was traveling in the summer, I would look for an evening flight to avoid any hot part of the day. I also took direct flights, so there was no chance of any trouble changing flights or my dog being left on tarmacs. I always took extra precautions.

August is a long ways off, but if you have any other questions, maybe I can answer them.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 01-14-2009 at 12:05 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 01:28 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,995,739 times
I went West coast to East coast with 3 dogs in Suv, one large dog, one medium, one small, take small suitcase for clothes, just will need a few t-shirts and personal items.

You will need room for dogfood, bowls,food take a large jug for water and any med's if they take them, stop at rest stop every 2 hours. Buy one of those long red runs at walmart the kind you would use to hook up a run, this long run you can attach to your wheels or hatch on the back when you get to the rest stops, you can then sit with your pet, let your pet out for awhile, sniff, and naturally take a lil walk.Make sure your pet has all its shots, different areas, different bugs.

After first rest stop, your pet with get the idea and look forward to the next rest stop as you go on.

Best western is dog friendly, Super 8, Motel 6 (if you don't mind staying there (but they did have a laundry to wash my clothes.

You going to Henderson, NV? Go route with less heat, can you leave early summer, all should be ok if you have AC

Last edited by rural lady; 01-14-2009 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,693,818 times
We went from CA to IL...I had the big dogs hubby had the little ones. the big dogs just slept..the little ones were a handful. our jrt/chi mix STOOD on the dashboard of the rental truck almost the whole trip. I have pics...they got potty breaks when we needed gas.....they were fine...I definitely had the better end of the deal with the big dogs We drove from sunup to sun down....
The one thing I can say that if your dogs are not used to walks being associated with potty breaks there may be problems Some nights at hotels we walked and walked and no one went potty....

Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,127,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
The one thing I can say that if your dogs are not used to walks being associated with potty breaks there may be problems
Yes--good point.
Our dogs knew that when we said "peepee," it was showtime!
We traveled from Colorado to Florida with two mastiffs and a geriatric cat.
We usually just stopped for lunch--ours and their's, and a quick walk.
We used this site to find lodging: Dog Friendly
The only troublesome time was when our older mastiff had to use the elevator for the first time in her life. She did not like it one bit. We used the stairs instead.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,172,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
our jrt/chi mix STOOD on the dashboard of the rental truck almost the whole trip.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Hilarious!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:43 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,565,033 times
I traveled pregnant, with two kids and a medium size dog for Missouri to NC last year by myself. My dog was wonderful. We had a truck with a Huge Dog Carrier tied down and she stayed in there the whole trip. We took water bowl and food and Big Jug of Water. We spends sometime at Rest stops . My dog is ball crazy so she catch the ball then bring it back that got her stretch her legs and do her business. When we stop for lunch I walk her on the leash. I would also purchase a really long leash or rope so they can have more freedom. I never travel by air yet. You should make sure your dog is comfortable in the car. My dog since a puppy Loves car rides so that made it is easier. Good Luck!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 AM

673 posts, read 2,722,675 times
I'd opt for car travel over flying, which can be really stressful for an animal. And you hope your pet will be well tended, but you just don't know. Years ago, one of my pets came out on the luggage carousel. Seriously. If you have to fly your pet, ask the vet for tranquilizers and travel when the temperatures are best.

Our pets travel well by car. They're with us. They get to take regular rest stops. Up until recently, we never had an issue with pets at any La Quinta or Red Roof property. Now some LQ properties, even though they're not franchised, are less welcoming to pets. An excellent 100% pet friendly chain is Drury Inn, but they're limited in location. We've learned to 1) check pet policies by property and 2) book ahead so we're not scrambling for a place to stay when we're exhausted.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,615,386 times
We drove from Florida to Texas, I got the good deal I had our Boxer and Pug plus 15 year old Son. My Husband had our African Grey parrot !!! who talked the whole way here !!!
We did spend oner night in a hotel which was funny all of us in one room.
Millie our Boxer was always good in the car but Roscoe our Pug wasn't so we put his crate and cushion in and he travelled in that. We took one of the seats out and replaced it with Millie's cushion she was fine.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:53 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,341,532 times
I traveled with my cat and older beagle from California to Oklahoma this fall and it was fine. The dog loved the trip, looked out the window and slept most of the time. She enjoyed the strange smells when we stopped. The cat didn't enjoy the trip (she's terrified of everything) but I did use the meds the doctor gave me and she was happy. Only problem was when she hid behind a small space when we were ready to leave and I had to lure her out finally with catfood. All in all it was a smooth trip and came off great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs