U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 11:37 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,065,135 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are having an annoying problem with our dog. First a little background: we have had the dog for about a year now. We took it in as a street stray. When we found him, he was not in the best of shape, very skinny and badly matted dirty hair. You could not even tell he was a white dog. We took him to the vet and they shaved all his hair off to the skin and medicated several skin lesions. He got all his test and shots and he was good otherwise. So we took him home and have had him for a year.
The dog was shy at first. He had the shakes and hid under the bed for 4 days and we could only coax him out with food. He did not like going outside on the leash. Now, a year later, he is the polar opposite and acts like the king of the house. He seems to think he has the right to go where he wants and sleep where he wants. And my wife made the mistake to babying the dog and letting it sleep on our bed some nights even after I got the dog his own bed. Now, I am trying to learn the dog that he does not have the right to our private space. I do this by simply closing our bedroom door to him. The problem is that he then scratches and whines at the door. And, for some reason, he does it even louder when we are in the act of love making which is quite distractive and annoying. Not to mention that he causes damage to the door. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this is going on and what, if anything, can be done to stop the dog from scratching and whining and barking at our bedroom door and to get him to sleep in his own bed in the living room? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM

36,502 posts, read 49,371,124 times
could you let him sleep in his bed in your bedroom? or a kennel?

I wouls suggest leading him with a treat to where you want him to sleep and when he lies down, say goos boy and give him a treat. It won't be easy at first but he will learn to associate his bed or kennel with a treat. Many of us now know all we have to say is "get in your bed" or "nite nite" and without a treat dog will go where he needs to be. I suggest a nice cozy kennel (we have a maltese who sleeps in a large cat carrier).

Every cat or dog I've ever had tries to dig at a closed door. they don't want to be left out of anything.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 PM

2,118 posts, read 5,899,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
what, if anything, can be done to stop the dog from scratching and whining and barking at our bedroom door and to get him to sleep in his own bed in the living room? Any ideas would be appreciated.

The simplest fix is to get the dog a crate or kennel and put the dog bed and the dog in there at bed time.
Chances are he won't like that a lot either and you can expect parking, whining, crying, pawing at the cage for at least some period of time but that will eventually go away.

I would recommend introducing the dog to a crate as a happy place by using only the most irresistable food rewards (hot dog bits, freeze dried liver treats, etc) simply for walking into the crate or spending small amounts of time in there. Use a verbal phase every time the dog goes inside (I use "inside") so that dog learns that phrase means go in the crate and then reward just as soon as that happens and for every minute or two (gradually extending the time) the dog sits calmly and quietly in the crate.

About a year from now, if the dog has adapted to the routine of going in there for sleep each night with no barking or fuss, then if you want, have him go in the crate but leave the door unlatched or even open. See where he ends up.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,065,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
The simplest fix is to get the dog a crate or kennel and put the dog bed and the dog in there at bed time.
Chances are he won't like that a lot either and you can expect parking, whining, crying, pawing at the cage for at least some period of time but that will eventually go away.

I would recommend introducing the dog to a crate as a happy place by using only the most irresistable food rewards (hot dog bits, freeze dried liver treats, etc) simply for walking into the crate or spending small amounts of time in there. Use a verbal phase every time the dog goes inside (I use "inside") so that dog learns that phrase means go in the crate and then reward just as soon as that happens and for every minute or two (gradually extending the time) the dog sits calmly and quietly in the crate.

About a year from now, if the dog has adapted to the routine of going in there for sleep each night with no barking or fuss, then if you want, have him go in the crate but leave the door unlatched or even open. See where he ends up.
I may try this without the crate because we live in a condo without a lot of room for a crate. What I am thinking about is using his leash by his bad instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs