Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,231,123 times

Advertisements

Our 8 year old Maltese vomited white froth and now is occassionally hacking and keeps licking everything.

She seems ok otherwise - alert, but uncomfortable. She keeps changing positions but then lying down and resting pretty normally. I'm not crazy about the hacking though. I've checked her mouth and throat and don't see an obstruction and she's only vomited once, but she's not quite herself.

I think I might run her to the vet tomorrow but wondered if anyone is familiar with these kind of symptoms?

We just moved to a new area - we have a vet but not sure if this is worthy of a visit to an emergency vet visit assuming there is one!?

She seems ok right now, but just doesn't look quite right to me.
I'm wondering if she drank from our swimming pool - she's been obsessing about a frog in the pool and has jumped in a few times.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:24 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,190,782 times
I don't like the sound of it.

For some reason I'm thinking it's a hart problem.

maybe a child's aspirin...

Keep her quite and offer some water and see the vet first thing in the am.

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:26 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,547,083 times
They try to eat grass when they have tummy troubles...did you see any grass come up?

I'm not sure if pool water would do this......

Has she ever had a seizure of any kind?

Are any parts of any toys missing, such as a head off of a Happy Meal toy?

You don't have any ballons with ribbon hanging around, do you? (Ribbons and tree tinsel are deadly for animals.....long story that cost me over $3,000).

Do you have any snails or slugs in your yard? You don't put poison out, do you?

Is the frog still hanging around, meaning can you find it? I think toads can excrete a poison if a dog tries to eat one.....not sure about a frog.

You've had her for 8 years...this is obviously an unusual thing for her to do or else you wouldn't have taken the time to write this....to be on the safe side, I'd take her to the vet....

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,211,611 times
I don't think you are supposed to give aspirin to do.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,231,123 times
What an evening. We have a 3 week old baby who wouldn't stop crying and the dog not feeling well. My nerves are a little frayed!!

Dog seemed much better for almost an hour and stopped hacking but she just started again and threw up for the second time but only a very little. She's still hacking a little and licking, but otherwise ok. Still wants to be picked up and tail wagging.

This is definitely not normal behavior for her though.

No access to tinsel or ribbons and no we don't put down poison. I even think drinking the pool water is unlikely as her face wasn't wet (being a fluffy dog it's really obvious when she's wet). I have no idea if she got a frog. She was only unattended for 4 or 5 minutes while my husband was helping me with the baby.
DH says she was looking for frogs but they couldn't find any. That doesn't mean she didn't get hold of one somehow though. Honestly she's normally pretty useless with that kind of stuff so I would be surprised if she had got one.

She's on the bed with us right now resting and seems ok. No licking for the past few minutes. Breathing a little faster than normal but not panting. Ugh I hope she's ok - she's such a great dog. She doesn't seem to be in any actual pain, but I'm worried.

DH goes back to work tomorrow after paternity leave and I was hoping he would get an ok night's sleep. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

BTW she has had a seizure... once. She was a puppy and it's never happened again since. Scared the crap out of me at the time, but she's been super healthy ever since.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:24 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,459,786 times
I know some toads are poisonous to dogs. It's possible that some frogs are too. I would definitely take her in today if she still seems uncomfortable. Better to be safe than sorry. Please keep us updated!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 AM

60 posts, read 236,264 times
You know her better than anyone else. If she doesn't seem right, take her to the vet. I would much rather be safe than sorry.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,125,757 times
Take her in. Better safe than sorry. One time my doxie threw up a couple times, was acting kind of listless like he didn't feel well, so I took him in. 250 dollars later he was fine and actually perked up and was running around by the time we left the vet. Just an upset stomach. Still, always better to be sure it's nothing serious.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:23 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,468,225 times
Please let us know how she is. I would certainly take her to a vet ASAP. You wouldn't forgive yourself if there was a tragedy.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM

455 posts, read 1,241,127 times
If I know what Duke has licked ie flea spot on treatment, then I rinse his mouth to get rid of the frothy foam. If I didn't know I would take him to the vets, better to be safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs