Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,099,511 times

Advertisements

Maybe what I should do is this?

Even though I'm home with him while I'm working, maybe I should extend the time between his outings: two hours, then three hours, four hours, etc... and see how that goes, see at what point he pees as soon as he's let out. Then I'll have more confidence. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 PM

720 posts, read 1,711,767 times
Our Oliver, age 5, is used to going in and out as he pleases all day also---no doggy door, just me letting him out. When we are out for the day, if no one will be home, I put a belly band on him (sold on ebay) just in case. We left him in the camper for 7 hours last week, he was dry both times when we got back. He will "go pee" and "go potty" on command. A few times in the past he has peed in the band, but not in awhile. But I do know what you mean about putting him in a position to "break training".

Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Our Oliver, age 5, is used to going in and out as he pleases all day also---no doggy door, just me letting him out. When we are out for the day, if no one will be home, I put a belly band on him (sold on ebay) just in case. We left him in the camper for 7 hours last week, he was dry both times when we got back. He will "go pee" and "go potty" on command. A few times in the past he has peed in the band, but not in awhile. But I do know what you mean about putting him in a position to "break training".
While I understand the benefit of the belly band, I don't feel comfortable putting one on Artie. Firstly, I don't think he'd let me! Secondly, the whole thought of it makes me so sad. Thirdly, if he *does* have an accident, I'd just deal with it and chalk it up to experience and knowledge. And, lastly, in my heart of hearts, I believe that he'll be fine for 6 or 7 hours. I just feel badly for spoiling him this way and then, on occasion, having to reneg on the "promise" that I'd always be there to let him out as he pleases.

I think I'm going to do what I said in my last post: During the week, while I'm working, I'll just extend the hours between "out time" and see how that goes and how quickly he pees outside after being in for 3 hours, 4 hours, etc... Sadly, when I need a break from my work, I enjoy the outings too -- to get fresh air -- but I'll call it an experiment for both of us.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:56 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,458,606 times
Dawn, if it will help you worry less, go ahead and stretch the times farther apart. But since you enjoy the breaks from work too, I wouldn't bother. You know he makes it through the night. You know he makes it longer than two hours during the day. I don't think it will bother him so much to hold it longer. You both deserve to enjoy your break time when you can do it!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Dawn, if it will help you worry less, go ahead and stretch the times farther apart. But since you enjoy the breaks from work too, I wouldn't bother. You know he makes it through the night. You know he makes it longer than two hours during the day. I don't think it will bother him so much to hold it longer. You both deserve to enjoy your break time when you can do it!
Thank you.

xo

Old 07-15-2012, 04:32 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,624,765 times
I think stretching the times might be a good idea Dawn - I work from home too, and for the most part I take Nora out before 8:30 and then again around five - sometimes I'll take her out into the yard midday (especially if I can't get her to poop in the morning). I've thought about the very same thing so I've been sticking to this, but she usually don't object and just sleeps. Until I'm on the phone, when she starts to destroy things. But that's another thread, LOL.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:42 PM

3,470 posts, read 7,260,832 times
He'll be fine. Glad to see more Artie issues! Not the solid kind this time...

Old 07-15-2012, 04:44 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,064,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
^^^ this.....

my crew has access to the backyard pretty much all day long.... I worried about the barking, too.... especially because my next door neighbors had their first baby at the end of May.... before the baby got here, I made sure that they both had my phone number with instructions that if ANY of my dogs barked too much and disturbed them or the baby, to please, please, please let me know and I would ensure they stayed inside when I was not at home.... they both took my phone number and waved off the rest of it.... they have 2 dogs, too... I know my crew barks when someone has the NERVE to walk in front of my house, or if there is a critter tormenting them from the other side of the fence.... otherwise, the neighbors tell me they just lounge around in the yard and on the deck.....

all that said.... even with all day access, I know Bailey and Dave can hold it for 12 hours or more.... the little ones, I'm not so sure of.... but I'm guessing 6-7 hours would not be a problem for them either.....

and if there is an accident, oh well, shtuff happens.... just clean it up and go about your business....

Old 07-15-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I think stretching the times might be a good idea Dawn - I work from home too, and for the most part I take Nora out before 8:30 and then again around five - sometimes I'll take her out into the yard midday (especially if I can't get her to poop in the morning). I've thought about the very same thing so I've been sticking to this, but she usually don't object and just sleeps. Until I'm on the phone, when she starts to destroy things. But that's another thread, LOL.
Wow! And she doesn't bother you to go out during the day? If I move so much as an inch in any direction, Artie thinks it's go time. "YAY! Backyard time! YAY!!! Wait. What do you mean you're going to the washing machine?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
He'll be fine. Glad to see more Artie issues! Not the solid kind this time...
He's a pooping champion these days, Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
^^^ this.....

my crew has access to the backyard pretty much all day long.... I worried about the barking, too.... especially because my next door neighbors had their first baby at the end of May.... before the baby got here, I made sure that they both had my phone number with instructions that if ANY of my dogs barked too much and disturbed them or the baby, to please, please, please let me know and I would ensure they stayed inside when I was not at home.... they both took my phone number and waved off the rest of it.... they have 2 dogs, too... I know my crew barks when someone has the NERVE to walk in front of my house, or if there is a critter tormenting them from the other side of the fence.... otherwise, the neighbors tell me they just lounge around in the yard and on the deck.....

all that said.... even with all day access, I know Bailey and Dave can hold it for 12 hours or more.... the little ones, I'm not so sure of.... but I'm guessing 6-7 hours would not be a problem for them either.....

and if there is an accident, oh well, shtuff happens.... just clean it up and go about your business....
I wish that I could do a doggy door thing but I just can't. Barking is only one reason. It just wouldn't be feasible.

But if you're thinking that Artie would be fine for that length of time, I trust you, E. You've never steered me wrong.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:47 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,064,950 times
Artie will be fine......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs