Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,116 times

Advertisements

I just found out that they recalled "Natural Balance" dry dog food. I recently switched my Yorkie to this, but only have sample bags until they get the product in which will be next week...maybe. He was on Pro-Plan and when I switched him to "Acana" he had bloody stools. The Vet put him on "Science Diet W/D" until his stools clear up. He wants me to finish the case of that up and mix 25% of W/D with 25% of his old dry dog food, which was "Pro-Plan". I hardly had any of it left during this time and used it up. When I took back the "Acana" food they told me that it was too rich for him and suggested "Natural Balance" and gave me samples. The "Pro-Plan" food they didn't have since I got it from another place. I have just looked online at places that were suppose to carry "Natural Balance" and none of them carry it, or the one I'm using. What do I do~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Are you looking for a brand-new food? Artie has always done well on Taste of the Wild. We alternate between the proteins (bison/venison, fowl, and now I've introduced lamb). He won't eat the fish one, which is great because it stinks.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Are you looking for a brand-new food? Artie has always done well on Taste of the Wild. We alternate between the proteins (bison/venison, fowl, and now I've introduced lamb). He won't eat the fish one, which is great because it stinks.
That brand you use isn't for Yorkshire Terrier, and is too rich. I don't know if I should use the sample packages I have if it has been recalled and if they are any good. I'm thinking of calling the store. I can't keep switching him. His agility trainers use this brand. Maybe I'll email them.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
its got nothign to do with BREED...
but yes TOTW can be too rich

given natural balance is mid range chicken and rice food you might want to try diamond naturals, kirkland, or tractor upplies 4-health lines...they are on par with natural balance (and cheaper) in terms of ingredients, they too had a reacent recal however issue has been fixed (and the issue was human not pet health) and back on the market...
im not aware of ANY dog food currently on the market that hasnt been recalled at one time or another...but if hes doing well on natural balance it only makes sense to stick with that "grade" of food, so i would do a switch over to one of those 3 for now, and then go back to natural balance once the recal is lifted...and assuming he does well on the other brand you choose, i would every few months swithc him between the 2 brands so when things like this ahppen you have other options...

the only other suggeston i can make is to switch him to a raw or home made diet...

try Dog Food Reviews - 3 Star Dry Dog Food - Powered by ReviewPost
natural balance is a 3star food, so sticking to foods in the 3star category with the main ingredients of chicken and brown rice SHOULD get you a food of equal quality/richness ect.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:20 AM

I forgot to mention which brand of the "Natural Balance" dog food, and it is for small breeds. Vet doesn't want him eating homemade food, and I discussed that with him already. I drove 45 minutes to the country from the city to a large store that carries brands we have here plus more. They don't carry the small breed formula here in the city, but they did out there until the recall and are having difficulty to get this in, tho they have other types but not for small breeds.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I forgot to mention which brand of the "Natural Balance" dog food, and it is for small breeds. Vet doesn't want him eating homemade food, and I discussed that with him already. I drove 45 minutes to the country from the city to a large store that carries brands we have here plus more. They don't carry the small breed formula here in the city, but they did out there until the recall and are having difficulty to get this in, tho they have other types but not for small breeds.
I buy all my dog food and treats online. Here's a good source for you: Pet Food Online | Dog & Cat Supplies & Products | PetFoodDirect.com

They often have free shipping or other discounts. Even if it's a bit more, at least it's delivered to your door and you don't have to go driving around searching for nothing.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
agre, petfood direct is ana wesome resurce, delivery right to your door!

1: never EVER EVER take your vet 100% on their suggestions on dog food...VETS are NOT NUTRITIONALISTS...
vets are generlaly against ANY food that wasnt "taught" to them in school, and the food classes are taught by science diet (and occaionalls eukanuba and royal canin)

2: The ONLY difference between a smal breed food and a regular food is KIBBLE SIZE...
my 5lb chincese crested happily eats the exact same food as my 75lb mastif mix...
my partnes 3lb chihuahua eats the exact same size kibble as their 30lb cocker spaniel.
there is NO nuttitional differnece bettween a normal and a small breed food...so unless your dog is partiuclalry picky about food size or theres a tooth issue (dog cant actually chew its food), theres NO reason to go crazy trying to find a "small breed" food...because its just a normal dog food in a mslaler kibble size (oh and youll pay more for the privledge of them making it into a smaller kibble size too.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:13 PM

Earlier, I checked that food website you gave me. They do have a lot of everything but believe it or not, they don't have the one that was special ordered for me (unless it comes in on the truck this coming week that wasn't special ordered).

Old 07-30-2012, 06:35 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
That brand you use isn't for Yorkshire Terrier, and is too rich. I don't know if I should use the sample packages I have if it has been recalled and if they are any good. I'm thinking of calling the store. I can't keep switching him. His agility trainers use this brand. Maybe I'll email them.
Actually you are a tad ways from the truth. Grain free foods are perfect for toy breeds! Toy breeds have a tendency to have a fast metabolism and therefore feeding something higher in protein and lower in cereals is great.

I won't argue that it could be too rich, but if you've tried it, you could be feeding too much. Basically, the less full of "junk" a food is, the less you feed. I know some Yorkies and Maltese who eat TOTW and are their serving is 1/4 c daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs