U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 05:09 AM

153 posts, read 391,568 times

Advertisements

I adopted 2 different pomeranians within the last 6 months. I noticed that they are only about 70% potty trained. I have been very on top of these 2 little pooches in reguards to getting them 100% trained. I have kept them in a small bathroom with their bedding or on a leash tucked into the sofa cusion so they couldn't just roam the house. When ever I take them out I reward them with a treat only if they pee. I thought dogs would not pee where they slept. I have noticed a pee smell on the blanket they sleep on. I find this to be very odd. Any ideas why they would be doing this?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 06:35 AM

13,103 posts, read 34,584,297 times
Poor cleaning after them when they were with the breeder. When I got LadyBug my Papillon she was 4 months old it Shocked me that she would pee them play in it!!! I read on the internet that puppies not kept clean will do this & You have to retrain them to Not do it by keeping them Extra Clean! So Everytime she peed I gave her a bath! Some days I was bathing her 4 times a day!! Then after awhile it was 3 times ..then 2 times etc! After 6 months I bathed her every 4-6 weeks! She now pees & covers it like a cat LOL I hoping she soon figure out how to tell me she needs to pee Before she does it not after! She better at pooing... She whines/cries before she goes but not soon enough for me to get her out! She has a litterbox in an Ex-Lg crate & uses it 100% of the time. When loose in the apt she will go to the edge of the carpet but for some reason wont cross the vynal floor to the papers ugh! I keep thing when her Adult brain kicks in 18 to 24 months she figure this out ALL the time LOL she is 17.5 months now! So there is Hope!

Dogs raised in puppy mill type situations tend to do this! In LadyBug case her breeder kept her in a 4x4 cage & used blankets & towels ONLY changing & washing them whe pood on!! How she could stand the pee smell I no clue! I had a hard time teaching her Not to pee on carpet cause of this! I had her 4 months before she discribed the way she raised puppies!

Clean up your dog
Don’t be surprised if your dog has an accident and then lies down in his own mess, especially if you keep him in a crate. Although it may seem repulsive to you, he was forced to do that at the puppy mill, so it seems completely normal to him. As soon as possible after the accident, thoroughly clean him up. Former puppy mill dogs need to get used to the feeling of being clean. They’ll eventually learn to like it! If a full-on bath is too traumatizing at first, use a mild puppy shampoo to spot-clean, or try using a dry shampoo or wipes sold at pet stores.....excert from these instructions http://www.aspcabehavior.org/article...-Mill-Dog.aspx This saved LadyBugs life ... Until found this I was ready to kill her!!

How about when they poo?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 PM

60 posts, read 134,008 times
We have noticed that our pup will pee or poo on his blanket if he has before, and it has not been properly cleaned. They repeat elimination behavior in places with the scent (carpet, blankets, toys), or places that they have repeated that behavior (one section of the yard). If a small dog like yours is in a bathroom and can sleep off of the blanket, the pup may use the blanket for elimination, then sleep somewhere else. We crate our pups, and only leave them enough room to walk in, turn around, and lay down. We also feed them in there. Unless they can't hold it anymore, they won't go in the crate.

This opens up the issue of crate training, but it should help with potty training. Also, until the dog is completely potty trained, don't put soft things in the crate. We put the blanket that smell like our pup's littermates outside of the crate, along with an old t shirt I wore for a few days. This gives them the comforting scents they need to relax while crate training, but does not give them a soft place to eliminate.

Once potty trained, they can have all of the comfy beds and blankets in the world, but not until they know not to use them for unintended purposes.

Good luck

Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks so much Kati1....all of your info makes so much sense. I never thought about the possibility of a puppy mill type situation. One of my poms is a rescue, however he is 3 yrs. old and I do know he came from a family that had to give him up for their health issues so I don't think he came from a puppy mill type situation. However, my little 10 month old pom ( I adopted him at 7 months) came from a lady who kept him locked in a laundry room all day long. She said she used puppy pads. As a matter of fact when she brought him over for the first time so I could meet him, it was the first time he had ever been on grass...that broke my heart. He was so wild I told her I would like to keep him for a few days on a trial basis to see if he was a good fit. With patience, guidance and love he really was a changed dog in those 2 days. I do think though that some of his potty issues are related to his former living conditions and I will definately take your advise and use it. Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Thanks Crock 99..He doesn't pee on the blanket all the time, just once in a while. However, once in a while is still too gross for me. Crate training really does seem to be very sucessful way to train a dog...I will give it a go in a week if I smell any more urine on his blanket. The bathroom is big enough for him to find another place to sleep....but I still find him laying on his stinky blanket...yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs