U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 01:35 PM

11,895 posts, read 5,500,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I walk by a place that has a little football sized dog...
Interesting choice of words. Reminds me of a dear friend who grew up in a family who called little ankle-biters "boot dogs". If you couldn't launch it into space with a boot or it doesn't weigh 30 lbs it's not a dog.

Don't worry, my friend would NEVER do such a thing! He tries to appear tough but he's got that soft underbelly going on. He told me a boot dog story once:

He was walking his grandparents' orchard fence along a road checking for sagging posts. He was carrying a shovel. As he passed by a run down house on the other side of the road, a little fat mutt streaked out from under the porch howling for blood and attacked him; latching onto his pant cuff. Three raggedy kids standing on the porch were watching the whole thing. He shouted at the dog and tried to shake it loose, hopping on one foot. No luck. Kids started giggling. He pushed the shovel against it's face. No luck. He gently thumped the dog on the head with the shovel blade. It dropped his pant cuff, collapsed, and lay flat on the gravel completely still. The three kids started screaming "Dad, that man just killed Scooter!!" Of course he was completely shocked. Then watched as 300+ lb, 6' tall Dad rolled out the door in the predictable old undershirt. Dad took a look at the dog, then my friend, who was standing there feeling totally horrible. Dad commented "I never liked that boot dog anyway. He tries to bite everything coming down that road." Luckily the dog was just stunned. Got up, looked around as if he had missed something, shook himself and staggered back under the porch.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-09-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 09:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 33,351,761 times
People who want to look aggressive chose aggressive breeds. The person might be aggressive or might be insecure and hoping to fake toughness and bluff trouble away.

I've known some really tough, big, strong men to have some little fluff ball dogs. Those men are tough enough to not worry about what others think of them. And, not surprisingly, no one dared to call them a sissy because they had a little dog.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:48 AM

1,158 posts, read 528,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
People who want to look aggressive chose aggressive breeds. The person might be aggressive or might be insecure and hoping to fake toughness and bluff trouble away.

I've known some really tough, big, strong men to have some little fluff ball dogs. Those men are tough enough to not worry about what others think of them. And, not surprisingly, no one dared to call them a sissy because they had a little dog.
LOL I see the same thing too. I live in a rural area where hounds and herding breeds are popular. Tiny dogs if there are young kids in the household. No one keeps large breeds known for aggression, fighting or protection. (Most people in rural areas have guns for the protection part anyway)

It's not unusual at all to see a big 250 lb+ redneck/biker looking dude carrying a little Chi or Pom with their kids in tow. I have heard many of them say in regards to the iffy large breeds that are popular now, "Who'd be dumb enough to keep a fightin' dog around their kids?" (country sense LOL)

They have a point. If their kids get too rough with the dog and it bites it will be band-aid time rather than ER time.

As far as rural people keeping aggressive dogs, it's not so much to "look tough", rather they are cooking meth or selling drugs of some kind on their property. Those types are few but they stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by motownnative; 08-10-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-10-2020, 06:45 PM

1,159 posts, read 923,924 times
There's some truth to this. Pitbulls and rottweilers are the dogs of choice in the ghetto because they signal hardcore. No one in the hood is going to have a Pom, Chihuahua, Corgi or poodle because they would get laughed at. I have two pits (one is my wife's) and they love the kids in my neighborhood. Whenever my wife and I walk our dogs around the neighborhood, kids want to pet them. Pits and rottweilers are great with children as well as great protectors, so don't let their size & strength fool you. They also have stamina and speed. Let's be honest, the above mentioned dogs would be your best bet for protection.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:39 AM

139 posts, read 39,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I agree. Most low-life types deliberately select pit bulls.

I was at an animal shelter one Saturday and was walking around the dog cages. About 3/4 of the dogs were Pit Bulls or Pit Bull mixes. The employee/attendant glumly remarked that most people don't want them.
Not only do most people not want them, but many homeowners insurance policies won't cover you if you own what they determine to be an, "aggressive breed". (Pit Bull, German Shepard, Rottweiler, Chow, etc.). We adopted a small poodle mix pup that we took off the street about 7 years ago.

We turned him over to a shelter for 10 days, (the required time to allow someone to claim him). Of course no one did because he was most likely dumped on the street. The shelter told us to inform our homeowners insurance we were adopting a dog. We did and the first thing they asked when I called was the breed and size. When we told them it was not a problem. I then asked what would be, and she told us if it were an "aggressive breed" like those I mentioned, they would not cover us on any liability claims related to dog bitings or attacks.

If you look at statistics, (which ALL insurance companies go by), Pit Bulls head the list as the most frequent, and violent attacks of ANY breed. In fact several cities and municipalities have outright banned their ownership. Right or wrong, there's a reason for that. The shelter we took him to for the 10 day "waiting period", would not even accept Pit Bulls because no one wants them.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:00 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,197,403 times
I don’t understand why pit bull owners are so adamant about denying the breeds’ well-documented aggressiveness. I love German shepherds, but I’m not going to deny their aggression. It’s part of their genetics, along with their intelligence and confidence.

Our German Shepherd was a great dog and a great protector of our child, but she would have attacked the mailman or anyone she didn’t like in a heartbeat. If she thought the person was threat, she would have gone after them- it’s just part of her personality.

My black lab was raised the same way we raised my German Shepherd but he’s the complete opposite- he’s help an intruder carry items to their car for treats and pets.

Pit bull owners use the same argument - they’re not aggressive if they’re raised and trained right. But that argument means they are naturally aggressive and have to be taught to act against their nature. Instead of denying their nature, just admit it is their nature but it’s part of the package and doesn’t decrease your love for the breed.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I don’t understand why pit bull owners are so adamant about denying the breeds’ well-documented aggressiveness. I love German shepherds, but I’m not going to deny their aggression. It’s part of their genetics, along with their intelligence and confidence.

Our German Shepherd was a great dog and a great protector of our child, but she would have attacked the mailman or anyone she didn’t like in a heartbeat. If she thought the person was threat, she would have gone after them- it’s just part of her personality.

My black lab was raised the same way we raised my German Shepherd but he’s the complete opposite- he’s help an intruder carry items to their car for treats and pets.

Pit bull owners use the same argument - they’re not aggressive if they’re raised and trained right. But that argument means they are naturally aggressive and have to be taught to act against their nature. Instead of denying their nature, just admit it is their nature but it’s part of the package and doesn’t decrease your love for the breed.
Not another useless pitbulls-are-aggressive-no-they're-not thread derail!

Mods, let's shut this down before it gets to the 15 page mark!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-11-2020 at 02:58 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
There's some truth to this. Pitbulls and rottweilers are the dogs of choice in the ghetto because they signal hardcore. No one in the hood is going to have a Pom, Chihuahua, Corgi or poodle because they would get laughed at. I have two pits (one is my wife's) and they love the kids in my neighborhood. Whenever my wife and I walk our dogs around the neighborhood, kids want to pet them. Pits and rottweilers are great with children as well as great protectors, so don't let their size & strength fool you. They also have stamina and speed. Let's be honest, the above mentioned dogs would be your best bet for protection.
BTW. Posting with the caps lock on is considered aggressive.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:43 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,129,539 times
I was raised on a farm waaaay off the main highway. We always had guard dogs of some type.

I have always had guard dogs as an adult. I am not a froo-froo dog person. I like small dogs that can hold their own in life on the farm like Beagle/mixes, JRT’s etc.

I have a Catahoula/Pit Bull I rescued from the shelter because yes, there is an over population of them, thanks to the nitwit punks in towns with egos bigger than they are.

I also have a purebred Rottweiler who was rehomed to me because her owner’s life situation changed drastically. He did everything correctly with this dog, including Obedience 101. It took her longer to adapt to us than it did the Catahoula/Pit Bull because she came from a great home and he was a street kid, forever grateful for a real home. They are both well trained and well mannered.

[ATTACH]Aggressive People choose aggressive dogs-af7c8905-d83c-4894-9a90-9b87f5482bd5.jpeg Aggressive People choose aggressive dogs-19ef7d68-557f-47bf-8dee-ec5c7d2aa9fe.jpeg[/ATTACH]

Old 05-11-2020, 05:26 PM

1,159 posts, read 923,924 times
People who are against pitbull ownership aren't strong enough to handle them, so it's best they're left to people who understand the breed. Guard dogs are doing their job by going after a supposed threat; it's in their nature to protect their humans. I stand by what I say: Pits have a bad rep because of irresponsible ownership, period. Thorough research is required before one makes a decision to own a pitbull. You have to show them who's in charge because they will try to dominate, same with rottweilers. I pay no mind to the ignorant fools who rely on supposed statistics (which can be manipulated) that say "pitbulls lead the list of frequent and violent attacks" because for every fatal attack involving a pitbull, there's also proof that with proper training and socialization, pits are great dogs.

Quote:
Your dog would've been doing it's job. Dogs have excellent discernment with people. If a dog feels good around someone, it's because that person has a pleasant vibe. If a dog snarls around strangers, it's because the dog feels threatened in some way and is warning the stranger not to get too close to their human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or