U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 06:12 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,197,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
People who are against pitbull ownership aren't strong enough to handle them, so it's best they're left to people who understand the breed. Guard dogs are doing their job by going after a supposed threat; it's in their nature to protect their humans. I stand by what I say: Pits have a bad rep because of irresponsible ownership, period. Thorough research is required before one makes a decision to own a pitbull. You have to show them who's in charge because they will try to dominate, same with rottweilers. I pay no mind to the ignorant fools who rely on supposed statistics (which can be manipulated) that say "pitbulls lead the list of frequent and violent attacks" because for every fatal attack involving a pitbull, there's also proof that with proper training and socialization, pits are great dogs.

Your dog would've been doing it's job. Dogs have excellent discernment with people. If a dog feels good around someone, it's because that person has a pleasant vibe. If a dog snarls around strangers, it's because the dog feels threatened in some way and is warning the stranger not to get too close to their human.
Yes she was doing her job, she was a wonderful dog and I didn’t mind her making others uneasy. My husband worked late back then, I was happy to have a dog that would make intruders think twice before trying to enter our home.

My point was she was aggressive because she’s an aggressive breed, not because she was chosen by aggressive people. Our black lab is the exact opposite of our Shepherd, if someone shakes a plastic bag he will run and hide. So the theory that aggressive people select or raise aggressive dogs is not always accurate.

I’m not in anyway against pit bull ownership. But just like with a GSD- you have to know how to handle your breed. I had to learn to “parent” my black lab very differently from my GSD. Not only was the GSD naturally more aggressive, she also needed tasks or work. My lab just needs to cuddle and be loved.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 06:21 PM

1,159 posts, read 923,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Yes she was doing her job, she was a wonderful dog and I didn’t mind her making others uneasy. My husband worked late back then, I was happy to have a dog that would make intruders think twice before trying to enter our home.

My point was she was aggressive because she’s an aggressive breed, not because she was chosen by aggressive people. Our black lab is the exact opposite of our Shepherd, if someone shakes a plastic bag he will run and hide. So the theory that aggressive people select or raise aggressive dogs is not always accurate.

I’m not in anyway against pit bull ownership. But just like with a GSD- you have to know how to handle your breed. I had to learn to “parent” my black lab very differently from my GSD. Not only was the GSD naturally more aggressive, she also needed tasks or work. My lab just needs to cuddle and be loved.
It's best to get a dog that's compatible with your personality; that's the beauty of different dog breeds, you can choose a dog suited to your temperament.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:14 AM

13,249 posts, read 6,356,666 times
I really lucked out with my current dog. She is a Louisiana Catahoula mix and she loves everybody and is even good with other animals including my cat. She has never barked in the 2 1/2 years I've had her. While she looks mostly Catahoula, she doesn't have the Catahoula personality traits. She was a rescue from a high kill shelter and is the best dog I've ever had.

Prior to getting Hannah, I had a lot of Chihuahuas, hence my user name.

I believe it's true that aggressive people tend to get aggressive dogs. You're not going to see a gangbanger with a Chihuahua although they can be biters, they don't usually look intimidating...

Old 05-17-2020, 04:16 PM

14,259 posts, read 15,140,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I really lucked out with my current dog. She is a Louisiana Catahoula mix and she loves everybody and is even good with other animals including my cat. She has never barked in the 2 1/2 years I've had her. While she looks mostly Catahoula, she doesn't have the Catahoula personality traits. She was a rescue from a high kill shelter and is the best dog I've ever had.

I believe it's true that aggressive people tend to get aggressive dogs. You're not going to see a gangbanger with a Chihuahua although they can be biters, they don't usually look intimidating...
I dunno. A lot of times it’s just people who can’t train a dog. A friend is exasperated with his friend for not training his dog well. And the dog has become aggressive. The guy is not AT ALL aggressive - decidedly non confrontational.

My own Catahoula is somewhat aggressive, and I’m not. Neither is my other dog. But I’m a single woman, and I want my house protected, so I’m not really trying to discourage that. She obeys my commands, but no one can sneak up on me.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:45 PM

139 posts, read 39,858 times
You always hear about some nice, gentle pit bull that goes haywire, and chews up some little kid he slept with for years. Sometimes you never know. Their aggression all of a sudden surfaces unexpectedly.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:26 PM

14,259 posts, read 15,140,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill460 View Post
You always hear about some nice, gentle pit bull that goes haywire, and chews up some little kid he slept with for years. Sometimes you never know. Their aggression all of a sudden surfaces unexpectedly.
I would expect that an experienced dog person could see the signs. People who haven’t studied those cues often miss them.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:42 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,726,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I agree. Most low-life types deliberately select pit bulls.

I was at an animal shelter one Saturday and was walking around the dog cages. About 3/4 of the dogs were Pit Bulls or Pit Bull mixes. The employee/attendant glumly remarked that most people don't want them.
And one of the reasons those particular dogs are there is because the low-lives either had them taken away by animal control (due to them constantly getting off the property and threatening other people, neglect, heading off to jail, etc.), or were too sorry to take care of them and dumped them there themselves. Or the dogs got loose and bit somebody like a neighbor who was probably just minding their own business.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:45 AM

25,386 posts, read 33,351,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I would expect that an experienced dog person could see the signs. People who haven’t studied those cues often miss them.
My observation is that the average pet owner doesn't have the slightest clue about what their dog is thinking or about to do.

I don't know if they leave their dog untrained and out of control because they are too lazy to train, or if it is because they are afraid they will hurt their dog's feelings if they don't allow it to do whatever it wants.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,240,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've been around and trained working breeds (GSD, Mals, Dutchies, pits, wolf hybrids, etc) for over 50 years. I can tell you of multiple instances involving Pits where the warning was literally only milliseconds before the dog took action...too quick to prevent the attack. In one specific case, the Pit was a 4 year old, fixed male, well-trained and showed no aggressive tendencies...did not even have high prey drive...was a very affectionate "lap" dog. This dog bit a woman 16 times and put her in the hospital. The dog had to be put down. Dogs can and do "snap" with very little warning and the results can be a disaster. I hate seeing pictures of small children with their head laying on a Pit, GSD, or even a smaller dog.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:32 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,240,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

The most aggressive human I know has a "teacup" Chihuahua!

While I believe that in "some" cases aggressive people have aggressive dogs, it is unfair to characterize/stereotype all people based on the dogs they have. I've own, trained what many people would consider aggressive dogs...at nearly 70, I'm about as far from a "gang banger" as you can get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or