U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 08:01 AM

25,649 posts, read 23,678,930 times

Advertisements

psychoticism, a personality trait of aggressiveness. I would like to take that test. Apparently those with rotties and GSDs scored higher (no actual study provided) therefore aggressive people choose aggressive dogs.

In my many years I have had beagles, Eskimo spitz, hounds, chow, various mutts, rotties, Pit bulls, and German shepherds and border collie, most of which were rescued.
I really dont see myself as an aggressive or psychotic person.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 08:04 AM

25,649 posts, read 23,678,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Thugs like pit bulls......it happens.

A kid that worked for me was borderline thug. Nicest kid in the world, hard worker but he was out to impress. Not one pit bull but rather two! Both uncut. They would get out, the county would get them and he would reclaim them. County would discount the collection fees if he would agree to have the dogs fixed. He refused, he wanted to breed them.

He ended up with a short sentence, dogs were given up. He got "La Familia" tattooed on the front of his neck in 5 inch letters. Sadly he is not borderline anymore.
So do professionals. I have had 3. My nephew (engineer) and his wife (nurse) have had 3 or 4 after they met mine. Several of my co workers (biologists with B.S and M.S), male and female with families have pit bulls. I could go on.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:10 AM

1,155 posts, read 525,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
psychoticism, a personality trait of aggressiveness. I would like to take that test. Apparently those with rotties and GSDs scored higher (no actual study provided) therefore aggressive people choose aggressive dogs.

In my many years I have had beagles, Eskimo spitz, hounds, chow, various mutts, rotties, Pit bulls, and German shepherds and border collie, most of which were rescued.
I have actually debated with you about the Pit Bull issue and you seem like a normal person who is respectful of others.

Problem is, there are many who are vocal about this issue who have either a "savior" complex or narcissistic personality disorder. They only care about themselves. They don't value others in society or safety as a whole.

I love dogs but I will not back down on the opinion that NO dog is worth one innocent person's life.

I won't link it as I don't want to cause a debate, but anyone can feel free to check out the FB page, "The Dangers of Pit-Bull Activists Among Us". Daily updates about deaths and other life threatening injuries - caused mostly by family pets. More innocent people are injured by PB's yearly than by assault rifles.

They just put up an ad they saw which spells out some of the problem: "FREE to good home - Full blooded pit - NOT GOOD WITH KIDS. Putting him to sleep if no one takes him. He attacked my daughter, not once but twice. The vet nor the pound won't take him".

Well, at least they warned people...they still need their head examined for trying to put this dog back out into the community. Some 20 yr old, wide eyed activist with a savior complex will be sure to take him. (SMH)

Old 06-07-2020, 07:26 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,873,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I don't see myself as such either and when I did own a rottweiler
I also had a Springer Spaniel , wonder if that makes me medium aggressive?

Old 06-07-2020, 08:00 PM

7,165 posts, read 3,994,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I have actually debated with you about the Pit Bull issue and you seem like a normal person who is respectful of others.

Problem is, there are many who are vocal about this issue who have either a "savior" complex or narcissistic personality disorder. They only care about themselves. They don't value others in society or safety as a whole.

I love dogs but I will not back down on the opinion that NO dog is worth one innocent person's life.

I won't link it as I don't want to cause a debate, but anyone can feel free to check out the FB page, "The Dangers of Pit-Bull Activists Among Us". Daily updates about deaths and other life threatening injuries - caused mostly by family pets. More innocent people are injured by PB's yearly than by assault rifles.

They just put up an ad they saw which spells out some of the problem: "FREE to good home - Full blooded pit - NOT GOOD WITH KIDS. Putting him to sleep if no one takes him. He attacked my daughter, not once but twice. The vet nor the pound won't take him".

Well, at least they warned people...they still need their head examined for trying to put this dog back out into the community. Some 20 yr old, wide eyed activist with a savior complex will be sure to take him. (SMH)
I call it the self-awarded halo. “I kept a bad dog from being put down = ergo, I am a saint!”

I’ve seen similar ads with thinly-veiled verbiage that raises red flags: Not Good with Kids. Might Get Along with a Bigger [or smaller] Dog. Must Be the Only Pet. Has Boundary Issues. Needs a Male Owner. Needs A Very Active Owner to Help Him Work Off Excess Energy and Learn Limits. Must Be Kept Away from Small Animals. Will Need Lots of Training to Curb His Protective Instincts.

Nothing like reading between the lies (OOPS, the lines) to smoke out the positive spin put on dogs that, if placed anywhere, should be both muzzled and leashed anywhere outside of the owner’s house. They don’t necessarily have to be euthanized, just kept from doing any harm to anyone or anything else.

Last edited by pikabike; 06-07-2020 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-09-2020, 09:36 AM

1,155 posts, read 525,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I call it the self-awarded halo. “I kept a bad dog from being put down = ergo, I am a saint!”

I’ve seen similar ads with thinly-veiled verbiage that raises red flags: Not Good with Kids. Might Get Along with a Bigger [or smaller] Dog. Must Be the Only Pet. Has Boundary Issues. Needs a Male Owner. Needs A Very Active Owner to Help Him Work Off Excess Energy and Learn Limits. Must Be Kept Away from Small Animals. Will Need Lots of Training to Curb His Protective Instincts.

Nothing like reading between the lies (OOPS, the lines) to smoke out the positive spin put on dogs that, if placed anywhere, should be both muzzled and leashed anywhere outside of the owner’s house. They don’t necessarily have to be euthanized, just kept from doing any harm to anyone or anything else.
Yep. I searched for a rescue for 9 months and happened upon many of those ads. In fact, I just checked my local Petfinder again and it isn't just a few it is almost every.single.one. that say something like the above. Even the ads that state "super lovable" go on to add "must be an only dog". It will be a disaster waiting to happen if your neighbor has dogs or you ever plan on leaving the house.

If we really examine it, it's not just people that look for "tough dogs" to prove something who can be aggressive types. The savior type can be quite aggressive too. I know someone who reported to a rescue that her husband was attacked within 48 hours of an adoption. The rescue refused to refund her money and actually turned on HER. It's like some would rather lose their mind and attack the victim rather than admit they could be wrong. Bizarre.

Many will even attack the families of the deceased. This story below of 14 month old Daxton Borchardt is one of the most haunting and poignant that I have ever read (and I have read a lot). He was killed by his babysitter's 2 pits. Frighteningly they mauled the babysitter first in order to get to the baby she was trying to protect. She had raised them from tiny pups with no prior incidents of aggression. Both were sterilized.

I am linking this one as it's a good example of how many with a savior complex are no angels themselves.

The article goes on to state that while the family was trying to grieve they were harassed and threatened mercilessly on FB by PB activists. The babysitter too. This was done not only by obviously aggressive people but by those apparently suffering from some psychosis. What kind of person would attack and even threaten a grieving family? (Not directing this at normal people): Sadly there is much evidence that those with a personality disorder of some sort can be deeply attracted to fringe breeds. The vicious behavior from those types says it all.

https://blog.dogsbite.org/2013/07/be...l-mauling.html

Last edited by motownnative; 06-09-2020 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-13-2020, 08:43 PM

223 posts, read 165,383 times
Default You know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Most people are very biased because they only count dogs that can do severe damage as aggressive. Small breed dogs are by far the most aggressive they just can't/don't do much harm when they attack.
That's a very big difference! The chance of a bloodied shin is less upsetting than the prospect of a mauling. So of course we have an instinctive dread of large, aggressive dogs.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:16 AM

1,956 posts, read 602,368 times
A big female rottweiler is laying at the foot of my bed right now. She has no idea she's a rottweiler, and she's the biggest sweetie you've ever seen. She's very intelligent and not at all aggressive.

We had a rednose pit bull that was found out in the country alone--rescue dog. He too was a very sweet dog, but just didn't like other dogs. He would go from asleep to hysterical in about 1.5 seconds when another dog came up. Had to be manually walked in all kinds of weather, and we wouldn't want another. Died at 9 years old of cancer.

Also had a big male rottweiler we stole. He'd been left out in a field on a log chain with no food, no water in the hot sun. He was a long, tall rottie, and quite something to see run in his prime. We had him 7 years when he was dognapped. Looked up 5 months later and he reappeared home skin & bones. The female rottweiler (mentioned above) was bought to replace him my my daughter. We inherited her.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:31 AM

1,715 posts, read 1,074,927 times
The Rottweiler who comes to the local dog park with his owner is a big, calm, gentle dog.

I had two somewhat aggressive dogs; they nipped a few people (very tiny bites, barely breaking the skin and not needing stitches) - I took responsibility in each case. I did not set out to get an aggressive dog.

My current dog is extremely sweet and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or