Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 12:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,640 times

Advertisements

I live in Destin, Florida and am very involved in our local dog rescue/volunteering community. I am faced with a really difficult situation in that one of the shelters I've volunteered at in the past is basically a cesspool of animal neglect. I wrote about it in detail in the Pensacola, FL forum ([url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/pensacola/1720613-paws-animal-shelter-fwb-cesspool-animal.html[/url]), but I didn't want to crosspost my entire original post because, well, most of you probably don't live in this area and a lot of it would be foreign. The bottom line is this, though - there are some horrific things that go on in that shelter, and they continue to go on because the shelter has deep connections within our twisted little community. I know people in the past have gone to our small local newspaper with evidence of animal neglect and have been told that the newspaper is not interested in it because they don't want to rock the boat. The shelter has a board of directors whose members are all prominent people in our local community which is another reason why no one wants to rock that boat.

When I volunteered there I eventually went to the director with my concerns and quickly realized she did not care about the animals and didn't want to hear about how they were sick, injured, or not being cared for. I then tentatively went to one member on the board of directors, but he was very defensive and instead of being concerned about the animals, he was upset that I was speaking negatively about the shelter and that the pubic might catch wind of it. I didn't say anything else after that because I was afraid of being banned from the shelter and not being able to help the dogs. (That is not uncommon here - just recently a group of volunteers requested the euthanasia rates for a local high-kill shelter in Bay County under the Freedom of Information Act and instead of providing the information, the shelter permanently banned ALL volunteers from its facilities. They said it was for the safety of the volunteers but it was of course just retaliation because the volunteers dug too deep and were too insistent.)

I eventually stopped going because I couldn't take seeing the animals in those conditions anymore, but I hear through the grapevine that things are still the same and they're even getting worse. My question to you all is this - what would you do in our situation ("our" meaning myself and other volunteers and rescue groups) if you knew this was going on but you couldn't expose the organization on a local level? Would you try to take the story to a national news station? I unfortunately don't even think it's scandalous enough for them to pick up since it's not like they're hanging dogs or anything like that. Plus our strange little community is very efficient at blocking out outsiders - sad but true.

Any advice? Suggestions? I have tried to forget it but I can't. This organization has money coming out of its ears and they put very little of it back into the shelter. The dogs are sick and scared and treated so poorly, and there's really no reason it should be that way. How do you go about getting new board members and a new director in place when you're not in a position of power yourself?

Last edited by mockingbird1150; 10-28-2012 at 12:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,061,350 times
If you can't complain to a local level, I would call the State. I had to deal with the FL Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Svcs about a different situation, it pertained to a pet crematory company. There's a link to their site below. They should be able to head you to the right direction if they are not the right ones, but I believe they might be.

It's always better to say something if you feel they are doing wrong to the animals. Good luck!

Just scroll down to Animals on the link, there is a Complaints section underneath that https://csapp.800helpfla.com/CSPubli...aspx#610730918

Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,271,660 times
Or go right to the top..The Humane Society of the United States : The Humane Society of the United States

Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,968,166 times
Good for you for not letting this be swept under the rug. I agree with contacting the Humane Society and you may try PETA for some advice on how to handle this. Thank you for caring.

Contact PETA | PETA.org

Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,250,109 times
I totally understand how you feel and here are a few things I do think might work in your favor.

Contact 'dogs deserve better' through their website. I would also create a facebook page (which you can do without showing who you are in real life). Call the local television stations. You can create a Change.org getting thousands of people to sign the petition. Get a group together and call the state attorney. Call the govenor, your legislators.

Lets face it the one thing a city like Destin doesn't want bad press that will hurt their pocketbooks with the tourist.

The vets in our state tried to ban low cost spay neuter clinics but thanks to a group of very determined people who made the issue known they were able to get legislators to vote against it. The vet board then tried to make it illegal to operate a clinic if it wasn't owned by a vet including all equipment. The group rallied thousands of people who called, sent emails and turned up for the vote. The board decided to not pursue the issue.. Good luck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs