Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,616,104 times

Advertisements

Not sure those words really go together - but does anyone have a recommendation for a hardwood type that might be a little resistant to dog nails? I really don't want to go with laminate...and I REALLY want to get rid of the carpet in my new house...

I've heard brazilian cherry might be ok but also want to ask here, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,074,704 times
I've had hardwood floors in all three of the houses that I've lived in with Artie. The first house had pine floors (and pine is notoriously soft wood). The second and current house, I believe the floors are oak, but I'm not 100% sure.

Artie hates getting his nails clipped. (This is germane to the story.) For that reason, I tend to let his mani/pedi go until it's a must, meaning that I notice that his walk is a bit different. So: wood floors AND long nails.

The floors in this house were brand new prior to our moving in. They were GLEAMING! So, you can imagine that we wanted to keep them beautiful. Well, I wasn't going to put socks on Artie, so "it would be what it would be."

We've been here a year. No damage. Not even on the pine floors of the first house.

I've heard that Pergo is more resistant to scratches but, if you're like me, you want real wood. You might want to ask "the floor dude" what he thinks about the different woods. I imagine he's been asked that a million times (floors vs. dogs) and has some information to back up whatever he suggests. Me? I'm just going from "The Artie Experience."

Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
We have handscraped wood in our formal areas and study and we have a parquet floor in our tv room. Neither has been affected by our dogs' paws. And both are dark wood. The dogs have run, jumped, done the scooby doo scrabbling in place until they get purchase...

I think the flawed look of the handscraped floors hide defects (if there are any).

Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 AM

The Artie Experience is very useful, thanks! I've been dragging my feet on this because it's so expensive (ugh) but the closing is next month. I'm thinking oak. Nora's nails are not ideal, that's for sure - I get a little dremeling in before she'll have no more of it! But she's probably due for a tooth cleaning anyway this year so we'll get the nails done then too (I swear I'm trying with the dremel).

Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 AM

Oops missed your post, Stan - thanks for that info, I've been eyeing the handscraped, love the look!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Also there are those silicone tips you can put on your dogs' nails so they don't scrape things.
My friends swear by them (they have flat, shiny surface wood).

Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,074,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
The Artie Experience is very useful, thanks! I've been dragging my feet on this because it's so expensive (ugh) but the closing is next month. I'm thinking oak. Nora's nails are not ideal, that's for sure - I get a little dremeling in before she'll have no more of it! But she's probably due for a tooth cleaning anyway this year so we'll get the nails done then too (I swear I'm trying with the dremel).
And, just to clarify, Artie has two speeds when he's moving: Fast and Faster.

All of those floors have experienced running, skidding, and full-out zoomies.

Good luck!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
The wood type is really irrelevant, it is the coating put on it. If you wwant to spend the money, get a commercial finish like they use on a gym floor. It costs a lot more and takes longer and you sometimes have o move out for a few days from the smell, but there are products that will hold up for years. We have Glista (Glitsa?) on our kitchen floor. It has held up to 2 mastiffs contantly running jumping, restling, sliding on it daily. After about 5-6 years, ti is starting to show some wear. It is nto the strongest product, but pretty good. We wanted satinn finish not gloss. When we re-do it we will go with a more powerful product and just live with gloss.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,881,196 times
honestly the best floor is any floor and a dremmel...
use the dremmel on your dogs nails regularly and no problems.
ive got old oak hardwood and an 85lb mastif mix puppy, dremmel his nails once every 2 weeks and theres no dog claw marks...

Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM

19,835 posts, read 22,741,465 times
Breed of dog has something to do with it I think. We had hardwood in our last house and at one point we had 4 dogs. 2 Basenjis, a Bluetick and a Boxer. Basenjis are very fast, very light and evenly footed. No problems. Bluetick- a 4-legged, plodding tank of a dog- evenly footed. No problem.

The boxer? Floor destroyer extraordinaire! Very powerful rear legs, lot's of chest power, but much more heavy rear footed- rear claws bit in and scratched the floor like crazy- even when trimmed neatly.

At least that was my observation and direct result anyway. Your results may vary, lol.

Maybe a more durable coating other than poly would have been better, but I had to resand the floors before we sold. They were that bad, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs