U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 49,784 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I am one of them (I spend my summers indoors ), but this is not yet an only problem I have. My kids are dying for a dog, and my husband doesn't love dogs at all, at least not in his house (neat freak). So, how can I convice him to have a dog? Maybe with a little help from all of you.
Please, educate me from your own expirience: what dog will be a perfect choice?

great with small children

doesn't shed much

can learn to be well behaved

Thank you soooo much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,086,709 times
Hy Maya,

As a former asthmatic, I am sympathetic. I would recommend the boxer. Labs are my favorite, but they shed sooooo bad. A friend of mine had a boxer given to her family. Her husband was convinced he would not like this dog at any cost, but now they are inseparable.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:45 AM

158 posts, read 574,123 times
Default Havanese

Check out the Havanese. They are a small-ish, sturdy dog that doesn't shed and are good for people with allergies. They *love* kids. They do require a lot of grooming- lots of brushing if you keep the hair long, regular haircuts if you keep the hair short. They are also very much companion dogs and don't do well if left alone for long periods of time. I try not to leave mine alone more than 2-4 hours a day. Havanese Forum is a good resource. I attached a picture of my 10 month old Havanese male.
Attached Thumbnails
Best dog for toddlers, and for alergy suffers, and so much more - HELP!-city-data-frosty.jpg  

Last edited by Flashbaak; 10-05-2007 at 11:05 AM..

Old 10-05-2007, 12:04 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,299,082 times
You, my friend, have just described a Standard Poodle:

I've had experience with many breeds; without a doubt, the poodle stands out as a great all-around family dog. Your husband will say NO POODLES (mine did) but this is a REAL DOG. Intelligent and easy to train, Calm and easy-going inside the house, energetic and playful outside. Gentle with kids. Smart. Protective if need be. Don't dismiss a poodle because of what you've heard about "the little ones". A Standard Poodle is a great dog!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:20 PM

13,163 posts, read 944,328 times
Val, I'm with you 100% on that one. While I don't have a standard poodle, I've known some and they are excellent dogs. Maya, if you tell your husband that the poodle originally was a sporting dog, he might be more likely to go for it. It's a mental thing with him. (I should say, it's a mental hubby thing) (He can always shrug and say "it's my daughter's dog).

The poodle is a tough, loyal, clean, good tempered family companion, extremely intelligent and loving. And, NO shedding! Just make sure you get it from a good, established breeder. Where are you located?

Go to American Kennel Club - akc.org and look up the breeders' list by state for some contact names. Also, find your local kennel club and call or email the secretary (that's the name that is usually listed) and ask for the standard poodle people in their club.

Val, your poodle is gorgeous!

Old 10-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Yes Val, she is indeed gorgeous! I only heard standard poodles could be a little rough in play while very young, and since they are big, I am afraid that could be scary for a toddler, or maybe I am wrong, what do you think? I also heard they need a lot of exercise on daily bases, and that if bored they could be destructive?

Old 10-05-2007, 01:54 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,770,750 times
If your thinking of a poodle then the standard poodle is the way to go. They are very intelligent dogs. They are not maintenance free, as I'm sure you know grooming is required. As far as being destructive if left alone, almost any dog left alone for periods of time can be destructive. Good luck with your search.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:40 PM

What about miniature poodles?

Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,299,082 times
A mini can might be the right size for you, but tend to be more delicate, which doesn't go along with toddlers falling, ear-pulling, using them as a step-stool to the couch, etc. I really wouldn't recommend a mini to be with kids under 5 years old (speaking as a former vet tech & pro. groomer many years ago.

A Moyen-size Poodle might be right. They're not so common here in the states, but are a variety common "across the pond". Moyen's tend to be in the 15-20" range (also the size of a small standard or oversized mini)

It's just my opinion that you really can't go wrong with a standard. A respected breeder or a rescue organization is where to look. My boy, who's litter was dumped from a Dodge City KS puppymill, came to us with terrible scars from that place. Since then, he's been able to put it all behind him, and now has the sweetest disposition of any dog I've known. He knows when to be crazy, when to be gentle, and this is a hallmark of the breed. ANY breed can and will be destructive if bored and on their own without supervision (we'll talk about the cure for that another time) As far as being scary for a toddler, my kids were all raised around dogs, and had/have NO FEAR of their furry siblings. In fact, my poor German Shepherds were manhandled occasionally (imagine a teeny tiny 2-year old sticking her hand down the throat of this dog: Now and Forever, These Pages are Dedicated to..... to get her cookie back the the dog "stole" from her hand LOL

You can read more about Chance and see a few more pictures on HIS webpage: Chance's Page!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:48 PM

284 posts, read 1,637,815 times
Allergy sufferers must take special precautions that others don't. For example, we have to bathe our dogs after they spend any length of time outside. Even if they just run outside for a brief restroom break, we always clean their feet and underside when they come in the house.

Even if you aren't allergic to the animal, you could be allergic to what it brings in the house. My in-laws got a hypo-allergenic dog, so I could be around it. It makes me so sick -- literally. I am not allergic to the hair. It is the dander. (As a matter of fact, all hypo-allergenic breeds literally make me sick. The "they don't shed" rule doesn't work with my allergies.) I am allergic to most professional grooming products, and they have it groomed. It plays outside and doesn't get wiped down upon entry to the house, so I am allergic to the outdoor allergens on it, too.

However, despite being allergic to the world (almost literally), we have inside dogs. When we moved our senior dog inside (He used to prefer being outside.), we washed him weekly with anti-allergy shampoo. My spouse waged a war against the dander, and we won. We were able to get another dog. I held it for enough time to be able to tell if I was allergic to it before we committed to buying it. When our senior dog was put to sleep recently, we had to get a puppy for our other dog. She was so sad that she wouldn't eat. We went through the same process of me holding the puppy to see if I reacted. It worked. We have two great dogs that don't bother my allergies.

Other tips: Change air filters more than recommended. Vacuum daily. Wash dogs more often. Judge dogs individually as each person's allergy triggers are different. (We have a friend who has an allergy to short hair dogs due to dander. She has long haired dogs.) We use lots of blankets and towels that we put on their bedding that we can rotate and wash frequently. We wash the bedding or bedding covers, too, though not as often as the blankets and towels. We also wash the toys occasionally. The Febreze allergen spray helps at our house, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs