Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 08:26 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,284,913 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had a dog go through trauma? A friend of mine took a bad fall at her home a few days ago. So bad that she has no clue as to how long she blacked out and wound up with 20 sutures on her forehead!

Well, her one pug who is 99.9% of the time food driven, is not eating and sticking like glue to her owner. After I hand fed her hamburger and rice last night I did ask her if she's taken a good look at her teeth, you know thinking the timing might be coincidental. If her teeth and all else are fine, any ideas on how to bring her out of this funk? Granted, time is our best defense I realize that, but it's heart breaking to see this normally dominant little pug so drawn back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 03:44 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
I would hate to think what would happen to the pug if your friend died. I think as the friend get better so will the dog.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:14 PM

284 posts, read 1,682,352 times
We have been going thru something similar with our dog. After we had our senior dog put to sleep, she wouldn't eat. She started shedding horribly. She got better when we got a new puppy, but we still only refer to our senior dog by his first initial because she gets upset when she hears his name and he isn't here. When we packed away his collar and tags, she cried and ran around looking for him. It is getting better daily, but we recently took our first road trip without him. She has never traveled without him, and she as a nervous wreck. She threw up twice. She shivered constantly. Not until we were half way home did she settle down. She was fine in the hotel, but on the road, she was shaky. We have learned that these firsts without him are traumatic. We just try to be reassuring and comforting. It is working, slowly.

I think when a dog's sense of security is shaken, it can just take a while to rebuild that confidence and security. It sounds like the pug is just trying to protect its owner and find its security, too. Maybe re-establishing some normalcy and some continued extra TLC will help the poor pug feel better. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2007, 04:19 PM

251 posts, read 1,313,398 times
Awhile backI broke my ankle really bad....basically snapped it off. We had a siamese who was more my husband's cat then mine...but when I came home from the hospital she planted herself next to my ankle and wouldn't move!The first few night's she wouldn't move unless I moved her and actually would growl and get defensive if anyone came near me. This went on for almost a month!

So maybe the pug 'just feels her pain'?

Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 AM

960 posts, read 1,690,357 times
My dog has a nurturing response when I get sick. On those rare occasions when I have had to throw up, my dog will follow me to the bathroom and stand in the doorway and watch me. She then follows me back into bed. I'm sure when your friends dog will start to feel better when your friend returns to her normal routine. Some extra reassurance that everything is going to be all right will go along way.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 AM

Seems to be getting better. Friday night my friend and her sister went out and I stopped off at her house to let her critters out to potty I went to the fridge after and took the one pug into another room and hand fed her cooked hamburger and rice to which she ate more than she had previously.

I spoke to her yesterday and she seemed to be back to her it's-time-to-eat-afterall-I-am-a Pug mode Perhaps you were right, getting back to a routine of sorts helped.

Thank you all for your replies!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 AM

284 posts, read 1,682,352 times
cleosmom, sending rep your way! What a great friend you are! Glad your friend's pug is perking up!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
cleosmom, sending rep your way! What a great friend you are! Glad your friend's pug is perking up!
Thanks, not needed, but thanks. I'll do tons for friends and then there's practically nothing I'd say no to when it comes to the fur babies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs