Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 02:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

Whever I try their gums bleed and then I don't do it anymore. I know there are products which we can spray. Do they really work? Wish I could train my dogs to brush their own teeth like this little guy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 03:21 PM

213 posts, read 660,035 times
not sure about the sprays , I wonder that myself, I brush my dogs teeth, try to do it atleast once a week. Have you tried using the small brush that fits on your finger tip ? It might help seems to be gentler. Not positive but maybe if you don't do it that often their gums are just sensitive and bleed, kinda like a persons gums that are neglected ? I also use denta stix as a supplement to brushing.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:26 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,533 times
I use to try to brush my dogs teeth, what a pain. It's easy to do the front teeth, but the back ones, well the dogs are most not willing to help.

I go to the butcher at the grocery store and buy some bones. They clean my dogs teeth and keep their gums healthy. Better then anything you could spray in their mouth or with a finger brush.

My dogs teeth at 11 years old.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:11 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
No, my dogs get compressed rawhides for supervised chewing which for them seems to do the trick and they enjoy it. This won't work as well on dogs with certain jaw structures though.

I don't really advocate dentals for mild tartar either...its a dog and they aren't socially impaired by a mild staining of their teeth nor is it a real health concern at that point.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
I wish I had brushed my dog's teeth when he was a youngster. Instead, I was hyper-concerned with every little thing he picked up and would reach into his mouth to retrieve it. This made him a little unwilling to docilely allow me to mess with his mouth. (He's good about taking his pills twice a day, but that's it.) I've always been scared of bones because my brother's dog's have ground down their teeth so badly. Rawhides triggered seizures in my guy. (He's epileptic.) And I was afraid of Greenies because of the reports of dogs with bowel obstructions.

I DO add an oral hygiene additive to his water. But no...his teeth aren't lovely.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
HA...brushmy dogs teeth! your funny! theres no way theyd stay still for that.

like socalpit i head out to the grocery and pick up meaty bones or i take them from hunter frineds, ill either give "rec bnes" hard bones usually sold as "soup" bones, (usually the femur ect) however you do have ot be carefull with these bones as theyare rock hard (broken teeth) and when cut up as soup bones they can be a choke hazard so they are supervised only...
my favorites are good ole meaty bones like turkey necks, for the little guys chicken wings work well and for dozer chicken backs (most of the meat already removed) RAW...

Even my vet couldnt guestimate my 6 yr olds age by teeth

Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
No, my dogs get compressed rawhides for supervised chewing which for them seems to do the trick and they enjoy it. This won't work as well on dogs with certain jaw structures though.

I don't really advocate dentals for mild tartar either...its a dog and they aren't socially impaired by a mild staining of their teeth nor is it a real health concern at that point.
I supervise everything my dogs chew on. They can and will break teeth on raw bones and my dogs will make the rawhide so soft they will swallow it.

What do you mean by certain jaw structures? You mean overbite, under bite, normal? is that what you mean?

Last edited by SocalPitgal; 09-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: english

Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
I give them dental bones every day.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Dogs with less depth to their muzzles, pugs, shih tzu, ect. Also some smaller breeds just seem prone to develop dental disease...poodles and yorkies come to mind. Perhaps they lack the jaw strength to provide enough abrasive action or some may
have more bacteria in their mouths.

I had a shar pei years ago with a severe parrot mouth...he NEEDED a dental every six months...his teeth looked horrid even after 3.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,108 times
Cockapoo....vet brushes his teeth and it isn't any cheap walk in the park. English Shepherd...chewing rawhides and dental toys does the trick for her. Me, brush their teeth.....never happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs