Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 25,262 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a great home for our 1yr 9mo old male mini schnauzer. He is salt and pepper, neutered, and all shots are up to date. He is the sweetest dog ever! We cannot keep him any longer since my fiance and I will be traveling alot due to work and don't want to always keep him in a kennel. PM me if you are intersted. Only serious pet lovers please.

Last edited by Calibelle; 06-21-2007 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: Email removed. It is clearly stated in the sticky threads above: DO NOT POST PERSONAL INFO IN ANY FORUM!!!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:21 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces12 View Post
I am looking for a great home for our 1yr 9mo old male mini schnauzer. He is salt and pepper, neutered, and all shots are up to date. He is the sweetest dog ever! We cannot keep him any longer since my fiance and I will be traveling alot due to work and don't want to always keep him in a kennel. PM me if you are intersted. Only serious pet lovers please.
Pisces -

Please, please - I beg of you to try and find someone who already knows your dog to take him. As you know, although schnauzers can live to be considerably older, he's past a "good" age to rehome. This could potentially be something he will NEVER pull out of....you're his safety zone, you're all he knows. If that fails, is there someone who has a small boarding facility at their home in your area?

If all else fails, please google Schnauzer Rescue Florida and see if by any chance they can help - but if they are like any other rescue in the world, they are overloaded and have a waiting list a mile long. They may have an independent adoptions coordinator who could help you screen for a long-term home while you keep your dog and interview potential homes.

Please DO NOT take him to the shelter. He's adorable to you, he's not to someone else's - he's not their baby and unless he is just picked, the unthinkable will happen.....if he doesn't get put to sleep, he could languish for months due to his age even in a no-kill shelter or get into the wrong hands - and believe me, there are SICK, SICK people ot there. You really have no idea what Pandora's box could open by offering a dog on this forum. I have a 15 year old Rottweiler right now - when she was 12 she was surrendered and was due to be sent to a home up north. I will not nauseate you with the details, but it turned out her potential "home" was into sex with animals.

I don't understand surrendering a pet that you should feel a life commitment to, but please be aware that most rescues, if able to take him, are not going to have a waiting list for seniors - he will need to be up to date on his shots, on heartworm medication with a recent test showing him HW negative, and neutered....and they may ask for a donation as well to cover his needs while in foster care. And well they should - if you are so fortunate to get him into rescue, you can count yourself and your dog among the lucky.

If you decide to hand him off to the first person that shows interest, I hope you will at least get a veterinary reference and call them - find out about the home, how often their dogs are brought in, what happened to the last few? You could rehome him - and then they could rehome him - and he could simply fall apart from too many changes. And call your vet - they may know of someone who might be interested that they would refer as a good pet owner.

Last edited by Calibelle; 06-21-2007 at 03:22 AM..

Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Excellent advice, Sam I Am. There's a lot here for all of us to think about.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 25,262 times
I would never surrender him to a shelter. I wouldn't even consider it as last resort.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:39 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
I just returned from an 8-day vacation and boarded my dog at a wonderful kennel. I couldn't stop thinking about her the whole time I was gone and actually couldn't wait to get back to see her. I have never been away from her in her four years on this Earth.

She is my responsibility throughout her lifetime and she comes before anything in my life. She is right up there with my 34 and 31 year old children. I truly feel guilty leaving her for as long as I did, but I'm home now and she's with me. I doubt I'll ever be able to do that again. It was too hard on me and who knows what my poor little dog was thinking when I left her.

It is incomprehensible to me to give away a pet because of job travel. I would not hesitate to find another job. Jobs don't have feelings; dogs do.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:40 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces12 View Post

First, I commend you on posting this on a BB looking for a home for your dog.

My suggestions...definitely check with vets in your area.
You may also want to find "pet friendly" BB's that permit contact info
to be posted in the body of the thread.
Good luck to you.

On a side note and to others that are reading this...**I would much rather see a person try to find a home for a pet rather than the way I find dog/cats in my line of work...thrown out a window in a moving car on a highway, shot, mutilated, burned beyond recognition, starved...the list goes on....welcome to my world!**

Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
On a side note and to others that are reading this...**I would much rather see a person try to find a home for a pet rather than the way I find dog/cats in my line of work...thrown out a window in a moving car on a highway, shot, mutilated, burned beyond recognition, starved...the list goes on....welcome to my world!**

Yes, I agree but it's still hard to fathom giving away a pet unless it's a really good reason. Just tonight I heard that my neighbor gave away her female Chihuahua because she's in heat and she didn't want to "mess" with it. I only hope she gave it away. It's just pathetic to me. Humans are so lazy, uncaring, and selfish.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:08 PM

17 posts, read 110,501 times
pets equal long term commitment.
These poor animals who are "given" away are only eventually "given" away again, or mistreated/neglected-dumped at the shelter. How sad and selfish. What a nice place we live in today!!!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Yes, I agree but it's still hard to fathom giving away a pet unless it's a really good reason.
I hear you KewGee, but...IMO, the reason Pices12 has stated is an appropriate and honest reason.
It is a responsible thing to do to try to find a good home for the dog.

A dog/cat..whatever...has no life living in a kennel all day long because they travel often or whatever. I see it too often. And then the other end of the spectrum with the scumbags that dispose of "unwanted" animals, such as I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Just tonight I heard that my neighbor gave away her female Chihuahua because she's in heat and she didn't want to "mess" with it. I only hope she gave it away. It's just pathetic to me. Humans are so lazy, uncaring, and selfish.
Some humans are beyond lazy, uncaring and selfish....and don't forget irresponsible.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:09 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
City, I will agree with you to a point. Yes, it is responsible versus sending doggy to the shelter. I think we've determined this poster probably won't be the one to throw the dog from the car window or set it on fire. All that being said, we are a disposable society now. Anything that doesn't fit with the here and now gets ditched, which is fine for styrofoam plates and not so fine for pets. No, the dog shouldn't be relegated to a kennel - we've agreed on that, too. The issue is HOW we are re-homing this dog, and why....because it doesn't fit with the new life plan? That's kind of irresponsible in itself. Using a public forum such as this? Also not a good idea. There are some nuts on C-D, as there are on every anonymous board...because people are nuts.

I'm in rescue - I hear the same crap and see the same crap you do, day after day, although not on as large of a scale...."please take Fluffy - s/he is old/bites/doesn't like other dogs/doesn't care for my children/is ill".....whatever....and we try to find people to step up to the plate for someone else's perceived "problem" rather than making them step up to the plate and accept that they took on a commitment to a living, breathing creature. I realize that life changes occur, but we aren't talking terminal illness here - we're talking travel. Find a dog sitter. Take the dog with you and stay in pet friendly hotels. Leave the dog in the company of friends or relatives while you are gone. Whatever. But why should your dog's life change after 9 years just because you've now got a fiance and a different job?

This is a pet owner who obviously loves her pet...and maybe she's thinking she's doing the best thing for this dog, but separating the dog at this time most likely isn't best for the dog, although it will relieve her own mind and allow her to go on her way unimpeded. Well - now is a good time to learn the first lesson - we can't just shuck something off because it doesn't fit with the life plan anymore, and that goes for husbands, kids.....and dogs.

If this poster absolutely cannot find it in their heart to keep their dog and work their commitment, the family or friends, then the vet and a rescue would be my first avenue to explore...but when cnotacting a rescue, please bear in mind - we will not be impressed, no matter what your reasoning is. We take pet ownership very, very seriously, as well we should. I look forward to the day when there is no need for rescue - unfortunately, until people assume responsibility for each and every decision they make, it just won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.