U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,502,377 times

Advertisements

So dogs seem very intelligent. They just learn, you don't have to teach them everything they know. They just pick up on it.

One of my girls was sitting by our bed, the bedroom door was open and I was standing right outside it. I was like "Go In the closet" and she did it!!! I was in shock, how did she know what that meant. My husband said she "just figured it out".

She knows a ton more words/phrases and so do my other dogs.

Who else has smart pooches?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 04:47 PM

284 posts, read 1,632,433 times
I am so glad you started this thread! We had a trainer who said dogs can't understand conversations or phrases, but our dogs have always understood phrases. Dogs are amazing!

Old 10-06-2007, 04:51 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,989,157 times
My old dog definitely new quite a few phrases. Her favorites were:

- Do you want a cookie/pig ear?
- Bring it on your bed.
- In-N-Out?
- Petco?
- Walk?
- Where's the cat (bird, etc).
- Go get (tell) mama (papa).
- Speak

She probably knew MANY more, but these were the ones the got the biggest rise out of her, and it didn't matter what tone of voice we used.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:51 PM

491 posts, read 1,378,439 times
I don't personally have a dog, but my parents dog seems to understand almost everything they say. You can even tell he doesn't agree with what they say sometimes.

Honestly I think all animals are alot smarter than people give them credit for. Even my guinea pigs are able to communicate what they want to me, if i pay close enough attention. And likewise, they are able to understand what i am trying to tell them and can sometimes even tell what type of mood i am in by how i talk and act. For instance, they 'scream' alot when they want something, but if I am in a bad mood they won't scream. Also, they let out a few short screams everytime we come home, like to say 'hello!'

Old 10-06-2007, 04:58 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,502,377 times
Oh yeah I agree dogs are a lot smarter then some people think!!!!

mikenbacismama, mine understand those same things. And like you said so much more. I was just being silly when I told her that and couldn't believe she went there which was on the total opposite side of the room. My husbands closet was directly across from her and she still went in mine.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:16 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,900,352 times
Oh, wow.. I don't know if I can think of everything they know right now, but they do pick up on a lot of things! Especially Brooklyn! Most of the stuff he knows are things he just picked up on! We have hardly even had to train him! lol! The girls are a bit more hyper and all over the place, they haven't caught on to as much as Brooklyn has, but they are very smart. Just a few off the top of my head.. Brooklyn will get up and run to the bedroom and lay on the bed when I say that "I'm getting a shower". He hates the bathroom because he hates baths, but he always has to be as close to me as he can, so for as long as I can remember, every time I get in the shower Brooklyn will lay on our bed right by the bathroom door! Also, when I say "let's go outside" or "Time to go potty" he runs to the back door and he sits and waits, when I say "let's go for a walk" or "time for a walk" he will run right over to where his leash is, sit down so I can put it on him and then he will run to the front door. He knows that for walks we go out the front door and to go potty we go out the back door. Oh, and another thing that I just thought of.. when we first got Destiny we had to house break her and then when we got Jayda we had to house break her, needless to say there were a few accidents that I had to clean up! lol! I don't like the dogs getting around the carpet cleaner, so every time I would clean up a mess on the carpet I would tell Brooklyn to get on the sofa and I would point to the sofa. Now whenever I say "get on the sofa", "go to the sofa" or even just "sofa" sometimes, he will get up on the sofa in his spot.

When I think of more I will post them, but right now I have to go get the pup's food ready! I'll be back a little later!

Old 10-06-2007, 06:42 PM

558 posts, read 2,170,600 times
Our mini schnauzer just got a new "kitty" - the generic name for her current stuffed animal toy regardless of what it really is - and she knows the difference between "Kitty" and "New Little Kitty". She will go get the one we specify!

Old 10-06-2007, 09:07 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,900,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Oh, wow.. I don't know if I can think of everything they know right now, but they do pick up on a lot of things! Especially Brooklyn! Most of the stuff he knows are things he just picked up on! We have hardly even had to train him! lol! The girls are a bit more hyper and all over the place, they haven't caught on to as much as Brooklyn has, but they are very smart. Just a few off the top of my head.. Brooklyn will get up and run to the bedroom and lay on the bed when I say that "I'm getting a shower". He hates the bathroom because he hates baths, but he always has to be as close to me as he can, so for as long as I can remember, every time I get in the shower Brooklyn will lay on our bed right by the bathroom door! Also, when I say "let's go outside" or "Time to go potty" he runs to the back door and he sits and waits, when I say "let's go for a walk" or "time for a walk" he will run right over to where his leash is, sit down so I can put it on him and then he will run to the front door. He knows that for walks we go out the front door and to go potty we go out the back door. Oh, and another thing that I just thought of.. when we first got Destiny we had to house break her and then when we got Jayda we had to house break her, needless to say there were a few accidents that I had to clean up! lol! I don't like the dogs getting around the carpet cleaner, so every time I would clean up a mess on the carpet I would tell Brooklyn to get on the sofa and I would point to the sofa. Now whenever I say "get on the sofa", "go to the sofa" or even just "sofa" sometimes, he will get up on the sofa in his spot.

When I think of more I will post them, but right now I have to go get the pup's food ready! I'll be back a little later!
A couple more that I thought of.. When I say "go to your crate" Brooklyn, Destiny and Jayda will all run to their crates. We never really trained them to do that or tried to get them to learn that, I just always say that when I put them in their crates and of course, they caught on. Also, when I say that "I'm going to bed" or "it's bedtime" they will all run to their crates. We didn't teach them that either. They picked up on that from my husband and I talking to each other. And of course they know all of the basic things like sit, stay, lay down, roll over (that one took a while.. lol), come, up, down, leave it, go get it, etc.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:29 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,219,360 times
Great thread APBT_Samara

Chance, our standard poodle, understands so much. The usual, like

Wanna go for a walk (or ride)
Go to bed (he hops onto the dog couch)
We have a split level house. When we go in the front door, if he has wet/dirty paws, I tell him to go downstairs, and he does.
He knows when I say "your nails are getting long" (that's when he goes onto his couch and hides his feet instead of stretching out like usual)
Are you hungry (thirsty) etc.

Not only verbal, but the visual connections he makes are amazing as well. He knows my walking sneakers from my grubby garden sneakers, and becomes very excited and animated when those sneakers are brought out of the closet (same closet as all my other shoes)

When I shut the laptop at night, he gets up immediately and heads down to the bedroom

When someone is looking for me, they ask him to "Go find Mom" and he leads them to me immediately (inside or out)

In fact, he knows everybody's name, so I can tell him which bedroom to go into (so the kids have an equal share of having him in their room).

These are the things that he just "knows" without having been taught. Being a poodle, he does the usual obedience things like sit, stay, drop, paw, heel, etc. Plus a bunch of tricks.... it's great having a smart dog!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:57 PM

329 posts, read 1,393,136 times
I love this topic, too. Dogs know way more than they are given credit for. Not only commands but as Valerie C. said those "visual connections" they are so spot-on with. My dogs even discern the days of the week, too. They won't eat anything all day on Fri. because they know it is pizza night and the "pizza man " is coming. If I put my shoes on they are already at the door waiting because they think they are going somewhere. If 2 people in my house are talking they will both follow the conversation moving their head like in a tennis match. People that are not pet lovers or for whatever reason don't have any don;t know what they are missing. My cats are pretty cool, but no way as intelligent or as loving as the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs