Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:15 PM

8,626 posts, read 11,067,685 times

Advertisements

I have often heard that one brand in particular is not the best food to give one's dog.
That brand is Pedigree.
To this I say Phooey.
Some have said because the food contains meat by products, it must be road kill.
Regardless of what goes into making Pedigree, or any other canned food, it is always cooked, or heated high enough to kill off any bacteria.
One needs to remember, when our dogs descendants were running wild, they ate anything they could catch.
Physically our dogs have the same generic make-up as their ancestors, so feeding them food that may contain road kill isn't a problem, especially when it is cooked to prevent bacteria.
I have fed all my dogs over the years Pedigree, and they love it.
The problem is, a gullible public has had these designer brands instilled into their brains to the point that common sense has been thrown out the window.
Pedigree is just as healthful as any brand on the market.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,845,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
One needs to remember, when our dogs descendants were running wild, they ate anything they could catch.
Physically our dogs have the same generic make-up as their ancestors, so feeding them food that may contain road kill isn't a problem, especially when it is cooked to prevent bacteria.
All the more reason to feed raw meat and bones.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,641,602 times
I agree it could be "road-kill" I even made this exact comment just a couple of days ago about pedigree. (https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...l#post26284361)

You couldn't pay me to feed my dogs this food, can nor dry.

See, I use to feed my dogs this food before I became a label reader and had to do a lot of research for my current dog that has serious digestive issues (another thread for another time.) I had used this so called dog food, thinking it was good because it was well advertised. Problem is, it's mostly filler and that is not what our dogs nor wolves ever ate. They are meat eaters. So, road kill, yes...corn and fillers, no.

I had two dogs both that had eaten Pedigree at some point in their lives and they would get a can of the wet food as a treat on Saturday. Yep, they LOVED it. When they died, they both had lumps and died of disease. Could it been breed related, perhaps? Could it been food related, perhaps? Could it have been something else, perhaps? However, if I can extend their quality of life by feeding them them something I know is more healthy, then I will do it.

You do what you think is right for your dog, after all, it IS your dog...

I am more careful what I feed my dogs these days ...

Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 AM

16,805 posts, read 40,057,005 times
Pedigree canned food = clouds of noxious gas from Nanners and the Dobermans who preceded her.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:57 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,916,790 times
1: idont care about "bacteria" a dogs system is designed to handle alot of "Yuck" that a humans system cant, for example HEALTHY ogs ont get salmonella due to a their different PH...
2: i dont care if dogs eat "road kill" least road kill is meat...

BUT
"BYPRODUCT" isnt road kill...not is it REALY meat...
byproduct is anythign not fit for human consumption, in terms of chicken this means "beak feet and feathers..theres no ACTUAL meat in beaks feet or feathers (chicken feet are primarily cartlige bone and fat)...
byproduct can also i some pet foods mean EUTHANIZED PETS...now to a dog meat is meat...but the drug used to euthanize pets CANNOT be "cooked off" its not bacteria, but a chemical that has bene proven to cause a number of nasties like cancer...

if byproduct was just road kill id happily feed it...but byproduct rarely contains actual meat...

unfortunatly byprduct also means all the crap that gets swept up WITH the beaks feet and feathers (ir wood shavings (also lables as cellulose) dust, dirt and metal filings off the machines, the occasional loose screw or bolt, whatevers been tracked in on shoes ect...all that gets dumped into those big vats that they dump all the "unfit for human cosumption "MEAT"" and cooked down untill it becomes the pet food equivalent of pink slime...its then reconstiuted and formed into somethign that resembles meat chunks...

saysing pedigree is just as healthfull as foods made from REAL meat (not byproduct but actual muscle meat...) is like saying mcdonalds is just as halthy as organic free range chicken...

Sure you can survive on it...you may even like it...doesnt mean its GOOD for you.

when people complain about the uality of products like pedigree, there not complainign about BACTERIA...but instead the QUALITY of ingredients...

a dog would be HEALTHIER eating roadkil than it would eating the crap they call "meat byproduct" in low quality pet food.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM

737 posts, read 2,593,593 times
We feed our pets Pedigree because it is the only non-Rob-Roy food available where we live.

Dogs have been eating roadkill, leftovers and scramblers (that's the crap they find on their own) for hundreds of years, so be it. Hell, they eat not only their own crap but the other dogs' crap and one ate part of our stucco on our home - yes digested it; and no, they are not hungry as they are all on free feed dog food, Pedigree.

I guarantee there are far more harmful "things" they digest than most of us know about. Oh how I remember the days when they were first adopted and wanted to please us by bringing half dead rats, mice and bats to us. Naturally, they couldn't know we have pet-friendly bait stations to keep these rodents away. But bring them they did!

So although I've done the chicken and brown rice when someone has an upset tummy, primarily they are Pedigree eaters.

I don't think any of the dogs we had growing up actually got any grocery store-bought dog food... they lived a long time and seemed pretty happy. They didn't get vaccinated either... oh shudder to think what a dog's life was about 100 years ago.

Edited: we also give them what most people think are crappy treats... real bacon; yep, the same "crap" we eat.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:20 PM

if pedigree is the only available choice, why not just feed chicken and rabbit and raw bones?!

table scraps have more MEAT in it than pedigree...

my dogs get bacon regularly, along with lots of other GOOD REAL MEAT...

we also have to remember 100 years ago people were eating and feeding thier pets REAL meat, meat raised on grass and bugs out in the sun, not hormones and steroids in a dark building

Old 10-01-2012, 03:31 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,430,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
All the more reason to feed raw meat and bones.

My dogs LOVE it, green tripe is their crack

Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,845,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post

My dogs LOVE it, green tripe is their crack
oh yeah, my dogs are insane over it. I try to keep it on hand all the time.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 AM

lol, i just wish i enjoyed green tripe as much as they do...its a rare treat i my house because just being around it makes ME want to throw up LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs