Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times

Advertisements

I've posted here before that I have a new lap puppy, Ava. I've had her almost 2 months now. She is 4 months.

She pulls like crazy on a leash, is it a good idea to buy a pull harness? She is getting big. She weighs about 25lbs now. She insists on dragging me. I'm in the process on teaching her not to pull but it's a long process. I have back problems so I need relief now.

Also what are the best commands to teach a puppy right now? I've heard stay, leave it, sit and come. She knows all those but it still working on stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Avaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! There's nothing cuter than a Lab puppy. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! (And post a picture!)

Give this a read-through, it might give you some ideas:

If you could only teach your dog 3 commands

Old 10-26-2012, 06:17 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
A harness that buckles in the front will make her unable to pull as hard. They have easy walk harnesses at petsmart and petco. Online you can also find sense-ation and freedom no-pull harnesses. The latter is the one I use because it has a velvet cover under the armpits where the other two can sometimes cause chafing in short haired dogs.
Although she is learning her commands, I'd recommend a puppy class so that she learns to obey them with the distraction of other dogs and people around. The more people and dogs she's exposed to as a puppy, the better, and a puppy class is the perfect place for that.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Congrats on having added Ava to your family! The no-pull front-buckle harness is fantastic. Some trainers are against them, but it made it possible for us to finally walk our strong-willed, and -muscled, First Dog. We were able to teach her "pull" and "no-pull," so with the harness she'd actually pull me up steep hills when we were out hiking. It was so cute!

I don't like the muzzle/nose harness. It's supposed to give you control of the dog, but it just seems uncomfortable, and I didn't really feel it gave you any safe control at all. But maybe that's just me.

And puppy classes are a must. Just try to find one where they don't recommend choke collars, and don't use the Alpha leader domination style of training. Positive reinforcement is the way to go

PS One more thing about the front buckle harness: It's not supposed to replace the leash. You need to teach Ava to walk on a lead, but in the meantime, and when the pulling gets too much, use the harness.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
I would look into getting a Gentle Leader for now.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:08 PM

30,262 posts, read 23,751,941 times
I highly recommend you go to leerburg.com and learn how to train a puppy.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,219 times
This is how I taught my big dog not to pull. We went out into a big empty parking lot, we began to walk, as soon as the leash got tight, I stopped and made him sit down. I would say, "ut oh" That was his key word that he was not doing it right. After I got him to sit, we would begin walking again, leash tight, stop walking, make him sit. I can now just say "ut oh" and he will stop and sit. Lot of "good boy" when we walked and there was no pulling.

This way of training works if you do not require your dog to stay in a heel. I do not recommend a harness, for my dogs anyway, it encouraged pulling with all 4. Leerburg is a very good site. Very informative. You can also check on youtube and watch some training videos. Each person/dog combo is going to have their own personal styles that works best for the two.

My dog is so good with the leash tight, he sits down, that I can tie his leash to a big laundry soap bottle, or a gallon of milk. Even though he can drag it, he stops and sits when the leash gets tight. It was pretty funny when I first saw him do it.

I use a choke chain on my male and (here come the rocks) a prong collar on my female. I do not suggest using either without first learning how to properly use them, without injuring the dog. Of course the key is, NO PULLING. Loose leash a must.

Have fun with your new puppy.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I would look into getting a Gentle Leader for now.
Is a Gentle Leader like a Haltie? (sp) they go onto the nose, and there is a ring under the chin? Pulls the dog's nose down when they pull on the leash?

I have used those and there is a 100% difference right away in the pulling. But when my dog (my Thora) wanted to chase a cat or squirrl she broke one and both my dogs have gotten them off thier nose, thank goodness for the safety clip.

They do work great, according to your dog's personality. I was not confident my dog was secure when I used one.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 PM

387 posts, read 680,627 times
You need to teach the basics. Pick upa correction color & keep a short piece of cut leash on it to renenofrce the commands & use NO firmly with a tug to break bad habits. But praise the dog proudly when it's good & use reward treats.

Sit
Stay
Down
Come
Heel

Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 AM

13,929 posts, read 39,310,687 times
When she pulls turn & go the other way! This gets his/her attention on you! You may end up going in circles for awhile but it works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs