Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,363,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I was planning to do that by carrying the dog in a pack or something. However, I don't want someone to thing that I am using the dog as an accessory. Esp since I am a man.
"It's a european carryall!" That's what Jerry said anyway !

As long as you don't start rolling the dog around in one of those new buggies (baby carriages for dogs), I think you'll be okay Titanium .

Hey, at my avian vet's office, they had a modified buggy for parrots......would I look funny rolling a buggy of birds down the street? What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:40 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,129,073 times
If the dog has no medical problems THE LET HIM WALK!!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:40 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,363,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
My two go in the car with me, weather permitting and they go in where I work and into the vet clinic. Having no clue if other dogs roaming around Petco and Petsmart are vaccinated or not I'd never take the risk.
I don't take mine to the pet store, but that's because one of them will start tearing things off the shelves and worse .

I never thought about the disease aspect though.......it's an interesting consideration.

I keep them up on all the necessary vaccinations - and with a young pup you limit their exposure initially anyway - but otherwise I thought they'd be fine .

We do the dog parks and the beach.....haven't had any problems so far.

It's probably a good question to pose to your vet, Titanium, when you go for a checkup.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:47 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,155,138 times
Quote:
I was planning to do that by carrying the dog in a pack or something. However, I don't want someone to thing that I am using the dog as an accessory. Esp since I am a man.
I'm not sure if certain stores would let you do that? We took Brooklyn in the Orange Park mall, but we had to run in and grab something and neither of us wanted to wait outside! So, we just carried him in real quick! I was so surprised that no one told us to take him out. Even if you have the dog in a pack or something like that, if the store doesn't allow dogs, I don't think they will let you bring your dog in. I guess it all depends though. As far as people thinking that you're using the dog as an accessory, I seriously doubt that would happen. I'm sure people won't take it as anything more than a dog owner taking his dog somewhere with him.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:01 PM

5,323 posts, read 18,212,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I don't take mine to the pet store, but that's because one of them will start tearing things off the shelves and worse .

I never thought about the disease aspect though.......it's an interesting consideration.

I keep them up on all the necessary vaccinations - and with a young pup you limit their exposure initially anyway - but otherwise I thought they'd be fine .

We do the dog parks and the beach.....haven't had any problems so far.

It's probably a good question to pose to your vet, Titanium, when you go for a checkup.
I also have a female dog that is female dog aggressive and don't want that problem either.

The dog parks are an entire different issue that I'm not fond of however I'm not going to hijack this thread on that topic

Old 10-13-2007, 07:44 PM

284 posts, read 1,678,458 times
Sadly, our vet warned us last week to stop taking our dogs to a pet store in town that allows pets because our vet has seen several cases of Parvo and fleas -- all from dogs who have recently been to the same store.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,077,569 times
My dog is small and when it was too hot to stay in the car one day, I decided to take him in the store. I had been in Penna. and went to a shopping center-one of those lifestyle centers where pets were encouraged to come in-the stores had a doggie sign if they were welcome. I thought-heck-let's give it a try. He has been in Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. He rides in the cart on the child's seat and has a blast sniffing and looking. I stay right on top of him because I don't want anyone to reach toward him. Maybe it is not allowed but until they tell me to leave, I am going to do it. I wouldn't go into a food store, restaurant, or department store. But the ones with carts and geared to self-service are
fair game. (Wouldn't try Wal-Mart with the greeters!) He has his shots and I am not concerned about him getting something. I even saw another lady with a Yorkie one day in Target! Why not? I am working my way up to Books-a-Million!

Old 10-14-2007, 03:33 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,772,958 times
Quote:
I was just curious. Are you allowed to take your dog around with you to shopping centers or around town, aside from pet stores (i.e. shopping mall or retail stores)? How about if you carried him or her in a bag or backpack?

Petsmart.com - Dog: Carriers: Outward Hound™ Backpack Carrier

Petsmart.com - Dog: Carriers: Outward Hound™ Front Carrier
It really depends on where you're going, but the Bay Area is fairly dog-friendly (when it comes to shopping, NOT for housing!). Stanford Shopping Mall in Palo Alto is 100% dog-friendly, and you can take them everywhere except the restaurants - even Nordstrom! Here in the city of SF, you can always ask, and sometimes I'm surprised at who says okay... one bar on Haight St. even allows the pooches, and has dog treats & water for them.

My dog is too big for a carrier (40 lbs.), which does make a difference to some stores, who only allow the tiny dogs. My friend has 2 Malti-poos, and hardly ever gets hassled when she carries them in a bag. But my Rudy loves to go with me, even if he's not actually allowed in the store... he's fine with waiting in the car or tied outside, since it's still an outing! I won't tie him up for long, though, since I'm always paranoid about someone stealing him (especially in the bad neighborhoods). Anyway, that's our experience in the Bay Area!

Old 10-14-2007, 03:38 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,155,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Sadly, our vet warned us last week to stop taking our dogs to a pet store in town that allows pets because our vet has seen several cases of Parvo and fleas -- all from dogs who have recently been to the same store.
Wow! That's horrible! I haven't ever even thought about stuff like that!

Old 10-14-2007, 03:41 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,772,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
My dog is small and when it was too hot to stay in the car one day, I decided to take him in the store. I had been in Penna. and went to a shopping center-one of those lifestyle centers where pets were encouraged to come in-the stores had a doggie sign if they were welcome. I thought-heck-let's give it a try. He has been in Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. He rides in the cart on the child's seat and has a blast sniffing and looking. I stay right on top of him because I don't want anyone to reach toward him. Maybe it is not allowed but until they tell me to leave, I am going to do it. I wouldn't go into a food store, restaurant, or department store. But the ones with carts and geared to self-service are
fair game. (Wouldn't try Wal-Mart with the greeters!) He has his shots and I am not concerned about him getting something. I even saw another lady with a Yorkie one day in Target! Why not? I am working my way up to Books-a-Million!
Like I just said, it is surprising who will allow the doggies! I've had the same situation, where it was too hot to leave him in the car, and nowhere safe to tie him outside... that happened recently when I was at Barnes & Noble, so I asked - they said "sure, as long as he's leashed!" Well, duh. He had fun there, because two little boys were playing with him in the children's book area. I've also taken him into a health store (Vitamins something-or-other), and they not only welcomed him, but had dog treats behind the counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs