U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2007, 08:00 PM
 
943 posts, read 4,128,175 times
Reputation: 435

Advertisements

I have never heard a violent story about a bulldog in my life! Are they deceptive big dogs. Big boys with little bite. Are they good guard dogs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
1,930 posts, read 9,971,780 times
Reputation: 1031
What Bulldog are you talking about?

English Bulldog English Bulldog
Olde English Bulldogge Olde English Bulldogge
American Bulldog American Bulldog
French Bulldog French Bulldog
Alapah Blue Blood Bulldog Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
Valley Bulldog Valley Bulldog
Banter Bulldogge Banter Bulldogge

Bulldogs were fighting dogs, just like the "pit bull" breeds. In fact, the "pit bull" originally came from crosses of Bulldogs and various terriers. They are very strong, they can be very stubborn and they are dominate. But, just like any breed of dog, they can be wonderful companions. It's all in the owner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 12:44 AM
 
1,179 posts, read 8,560,606 times
Reputation: 925
I was thinking the same thing? There are many breeds of bulldogs. Bulldog is a type.

I think they are pretty much people friendly but some are known to have protective instinct. They are not dangerously aggressive but could be in the wrong hands. Some are good for guard work, others watch dog, some maybe not so much.

They were used to catch and/or hold bulls.(this is how the name originated) They also participated in bull baiting and dog fighting. Others in hunting/catch work. These dogs were human friendly and often worked along side or for their master.

I have owned American Bulldog, certainly a good watchdog, serious at that matter. I never had mine GDT tested or evaluated. I have seen some (ABs and others) that had GDT and also SCH and PP titles for that matter which is a little different then guard work. I wish to own an Alano Espanol (Spanish Bulldog) in the future. I really love everything I've heard about them so far and only recently found a couple owners in the US to consult with.

There are also Original English Bulldog, Ca De Bou, Victorian Bulldog, Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldog, Catahoula, and Olde Boston Bulldog which is a very neat recreation breed. They are bred to what the original Boston Terrier type of dog would have looked like. Which actually shares an ancestory with APBTs. They were the same type brought over here and later miniaturized into toy show dogs.

The old english bulldog was founded by Mr. David Leavitt and is also known as the Leavitt Bulldog.

The original english bulldog was founded by the Wilkinsons and is said to have been in the family for many generations. However this is disputed that they have only been created recently and that it was after Leavitt's dogs (or possibly around the same time). They claim it was long before and we can't really know who did what first or who stole who's name or idea.

Only side note I don't believe its all in the owner or how you raise them. Breeding very much effects a dogs temperament and personality. So if you are going to get a large (possibly dog aggressive or high prey drive breed) please make sure it has stable breeding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 11:18 AM
 
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
1,930 posts, read 9,971,780 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
I was thinking the same thing? There are many breeds of bulldogs. Bulldog is a type.

I think they are pretty much people friendly but some are known to have protective instinct. They are not dangerously aggressive but could be in the wrong hands. Some are good for guard work, others watch dog, some maybe not so much.

They were used to catch and/or hold bulls.(this is how the name originated) They also participated in bull baiting and dog fighting. Others in hunting/catch work. These dogs were human friendly and often worked along side or for their master.

I have owned American Bulldog, certainly a good watchdog, serious at that matter. I never had mine GDT tested or evaluated. I have seen some (ABs and others) that had GDT and also SCH and PP titles for that matter which is a little different then guard work. I wish to own an Alano Espanol (Spanish Bulldog) in the future. I really love everything I've heard about them so far and only recently found a couple owners in the US to consult with.

There are also Original English Bulldog, Ca De Bou, Victorian Bulldog, Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldog, Catahoula, and Olde Boston Bulldog which is a very neat recreation breed. They are bred to what the original Boston Terrier type of dog would have looked like. Which actually shares an ancestory with APBTs. They were the same type brought over here and later miniaturized into toy show dogs.

The old english bulldog was founded by Mr. David Leavitt and is also known as the Leavitt Bulldog.

The original english bulldog was founded by the Wilkinsons and is said to have been in the family for many generations. However this is disputed that they have only been created recently and that it was after Leavitt's dogs (or possibly around the same time). They claim it was long before and we can't really know who did what first or who stole who's name or idea.

Only side note I don't believe its all in the owner or how you raise them. Breeding very much effects a dogs temperament and personality. So if you are going to get a large (possibly dog aggressive or high prey drive breed) please make sure it has stable breeding.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to APBT_Samara again."

Great post!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 04:42 PM
 
1,179 posts, read 8,560,606 times
Reputation: 925
THANKS!! Your post was good too! Its hard to help if we don't know which bulldog? I think they are great dogs and I can tell you think so too. Some just seem misunderstood!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2007, 05:08 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
1,930 posts, read 9,971,780 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
THANKS!! Your post was good too! Its hard to help if we don't know which bulldog? I think they are great dogs and I can tell you think so too. Some just seem misunderstood!
Thanks.. I'm a dog lover, I like all dogs, but I love the bulldog or bully type breeds. Of course, as I'm sure you know, APBTs are by far my favorite, but I love all of the bully breeds! I agree with you, a lot of them are very misunderstood. It's sad because just like any breed, they can be wonderful dogs in the right hands.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 06:00 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 17,707,233 times
Reputation: 7713
I dragged my soapbox out, but I'll keep it quick. If you want protection, get a security system. Teaching a dog to "guard" is setting yourself up for a lawsuit because it is nondiscriminatory - a dog that is taught to guard will guard anything and everything, including the electric meter, the front door, the screen porch, the window screens...and they can't differentiate between the meter reader and the burglar coming through the window. Find a dog with a large bark that looks fierce and that's as far as you need to go with allowing your dog to protect you or your property.

Any dog that barks is a deterrent....but as mentioned in another thread, it can go out of hand. Once they think barking is a good thing, they will bark at falling pecans, squirrels, anyone walking down the sidewalk, and on and on.....and you will find yourself on the receiving end of a visit from animal control. If you're looking for a dog to protect your person or your car lot, you may have wandered into the wrong forum....people posting on this forum are generally extreme dog lovers who do not condone teaching a dog to "guard" for your enjoyment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
 
16,489 posts, read 23,639,185 times
Reputation: 16333
I have been wanting an English Bulldog for awhile. I have emailed back and forth with some breeders and in general they seem to be very mellow and not violent, although I was told if they do get into a fight they go for it and are hard to break up. Any dog can fight. We used to have a female Cairn Terrier and the female Westie we have now. They lived together in harmony for years, then suddenly began fighting to the point of drawing blood and needing stitches. We sold the Cairn since she was instigating the fights and kept the Westie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,738 posts, read 8,049,617 times
Reputation: 675
they drool to much for me =)
...everyone dog except mine drools I think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 09:59 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
1,930 posts, read 9,971,780 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
they drool to much for me =)
...everyone dog except mine drools I think.
lol!.. Our pups don't drool either. There are a lot of breeds that don't really drool. In fact, I think the only dog that I have been around that I noticed drooled was a St. Bernard. Actually, it was 4 St. Bernards! lol!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top