Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 04:13 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,546,396 times

Advertisements

A man was charged in Kansas with animal cruelty and brought his operation to Oklahoma. He is now facing 96 counts of animal cruelty according to the news today. The man was turned in by two hunters that discovered the situation with the pitbulls while out hunting.

Did you know that any breeder who has been charged with animal cruelty can refile for a breeder's license after a year without penalty or the charges held against them?

Man Arrested On Animal Abuse Complaint - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/news/18197856/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,120,514 times
Animal, like children, have no voices and little value in the courts. We adults have to stand up for both of these groups.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Jerry Southern, 32, of Wichita, Kan., was arrested in Kay County (Oklahoma) and is facing 5 years for each count of animal cruelty. We are hoping that the Oklahoma courts will send a strong message with a conviction and heavy sentence that these type of people will not be tolerated in our state.

It breaks my heart that any child, animal or human for that matter has to endure any abuse/neglect. My heart aches for the pitbull breed. We have grown to love this breed through our volunteer work and would not be opposed to one day owning one. It's people such as this person who exploits the traits that make this breed wonderful for his mere selfish finanical gain.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 12-03-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,926,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Jerry Southern, 32, of Wichita, Kan., was arrested in Kay County (Oklahoma) and is facing 5 years for each count of animal cruelty. We are hoping that the Oklahoma courts will send a strong message with a conviction and heavy sentence that these type of people will not be tolerated in our state.

It breaks my heart that any child, animal or human for that matter has to endure any abuse/neglect. My heart aches for the pitbull breed. We have grown to love this breed through our volunteer work and would not be opposed to one day owning one. It's people such as this person who exploits the traits that make this breed wonderful for his mere selfish finanical gain.

Even sadder is the fact that there are hundreds and hundreds more people like this that "breed", neglect and abuse animals throughout the country. The problem isn't isolated to the Midwest or Amish country. It's all over, even in the Northeast where I currently live. And the neighbors and local people know or at least suspect what's going on, but all too often they don't want to get involved.

In this case, I hope the anonymous tipster is blessed with a long, happy and healthy life for making the right choice, taking a stand and reporting this guy.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM

True! Oh so very true. I'm not for hunting...but I do understand the need...I think. In this case I wanted to run and hug these hunters (aka the tipsters) and thank them!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:21 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,695,176 times
The punishment never fits the crime when it comes to animal cruelty...it is a sad world and I hate it!
Something has to be done to help our four legged friends who suffer at the hands of these monsters!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,539,753 times
Our new Vice President, Joe Biden, is well known for being a big supporter for animal rights.

The Humane Society for the first time in their history backed a presidential candidate in this past election. Joe Biden was a big factor in the Humane Society backing Barack Obama. Sarah Palin was an equally important deciding factor because of her deplorable animal rights record.

Here's more about that endorsement if you're interested (be sure to scroll down):

https://community.hsus.org/humane/no...er_id=27497157

So these next few years could be very important years for animal rights. We may finally see some stiff penalties for people who abuse animals. I think the chances are very good .

Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,520,347 times
Wow, poor animals .

Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,530,974 times
The Animal Legal Defense Fund is a national organization with a 4-star charity rating. Support them in any way you can!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,539,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The Animal Legal Defense Fund is a national organization with a 4-star charity rating. Support them in any way you can!
They are a really great organization .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs