Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 01:33 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,729 times

Advertisements

if she is pregnant, how long do I have to get her spayed to terminate the pregnancy?! We got Destiny Spayed in August and then we were going to get Jayda done as soon as we could, and then Brooklyn last. But we have spent over $1000 in vet bills in the last two months and we really can't afford to get Jayda spayed for at least two weeks! If we absolutely had to get it done sooner we could make it work, but it wouldn't be easy. Anyway, Jayda is in heat or on her period (She's bleeding, I don't know anything about this, so sorry if I sound stupid! lol! ), so of course, we are not letting Brooklyn and Jayda be unattended together. Jayda was wearing one of those doggy diapers to keep her from messing up the whole house so, stupid me, I thought everything was okay, but I just walked out into the living room to see that she had gotten it off and Brooklyn wouldn't leave her alone! I'm worried that she might be pregnant now, I didn't see anything happen, so I don't know?! Like I said, I don't know anything about this! I get so worried about every little thing when it comes to our pups, so I don't know if I'm just freaking out over nothing or what. So, my questions are, is there any way at all for me to know if she's pregnant, before it's too late to get her spayed, and if she is pregnant, how long do we have to get her spayed, so she doesn't have to have the puppies! Poor Jayda is only 11 months old! I feel like the worst owner in the world! I don't want to add more puppies to the world, especially more APBTs for people to abuse, neglect and fight! And, it probably sounds kind of selfish in a way, but I don't even want to risk losing my little girl! I fell horrible! Any advice would be extremely helpful!!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 10-13-2007 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 03:38 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times
First I know you were planning on getting her spayed which is good. However if opposite sex are still intact then you don't leave them ever, especially if you know the female is in heat. Keep them separated!!! I'm not sure why this is hard to people, but it is really serious. Please do this.

If you want to know how long you have to abort the litter and get her spayed before its too late call your vet. Different vets also have different ideas, but you don't want to wait too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Anyway, Jayda is in heat or on her period (She's bleeding, I don't know anything about this, so sorry if I sound stupid! lol! ), so of course, we are not letting Brooklyn and Jayda be unattended together. Jayda was wearing one of those doggy diapers to keep her from messing up the whole house so, stupid me, I thought everything was okay, but I just walked out into the living room to see that she had gotten it off and Brooklyn wouldn't leave her alone! I'm worried that she might be pregnant now, I didn't see anything happen, so I don't know?!
About how long were they left together? Nothing serious likely happened depending on the length of time. First he had to get interested and one or the other get the diaper off. That really doesn't take long though, but its still gives you sometime. Then he would have to still be smelling her and then of course get interested and do the deed. If you were gone a short time its likely nothing happened but if you left them unattended for a length of time I'd be worried. If you were gone for a little time I think they would have still been tied if anything would have happened. Since it takes a little bit to achieve a tie and a tie can last a little while you will have to judge on the length of time they were gone.

How long has she been in heat also? That will give you a good indicator of if she would be pregnant or not. Although its no guarantee because some females cycles are just a bit different and you never know. Have you ever seen him get a bit interest and try to mount, or does he just do a little sniffing and following?

Old 10-13-2007, 03:47 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,900 times
If she is pregnant, you may have a hard time finding a vet to do the spay. Our clinic won't knowingly do it, and we won't do it while a dog is in heat either. We wait for a couple of weeks after she's out of heat so you would know if she is pregnant. If your vet has an ultrasound machine, you could have them take a look, or if you wait a couple of weeks, an xray could show puppies if the spines have formed (if there are any that is)

Hopefully all the worrying will be for nothing. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
First I know you were planning on getting her spayed which is good. However if opposite sex are still intact then you don't leave them ever, especially if you know the female is in heat. Keep them separated!!! I'm not sure why this is hard to people, but it is really serious. Please do this.

If you want to know how long you have to abort the litter and get her spayed before its too late call your vet. Different vets also have different ideas, but you don't want to wait too long.

About how long were they left together? Nothing serious likely happened depending on the length of time. First he had to get interested and one or the other get the diaper off. That really doesn't take long though, but its still gives you sometime. Then he would have to still be smelling her and then of course get interested and do the deed. If you were gone a short time its likely nothing happened but if you left them unattended for a length of time I'd be worried. If you were gone for a little time I think they would have still been tied if anything would have happened. Since it takes a little bit to achieve a tie and a tie can last a little while you will have to judge on the length of time they were gone.

How long has she been in heat also? That will give you a good indicator of if she would be pregnant or not. Although its no guarantee because some females cycles are just a bit different and you never know. Have you ever seen him get a bit interest and try to mount, or does he just do a little sniffing and following?
We don't ever leave them alone together. Not just when she's in heat, we never leave them alone together because we don't want them to get in a fight or something and us not be right there to stop it. I had the diaper thing on her, which she does not like by the way.. lol! So I assumed that it would be okay to get the water dish out of the snake tank, clean it out real quick and fill it up with fresh water. You know that doesn't take very long. But our snake's tank is in the office next to the computer and after I put the water dish back in the tank I sat down, read a post and posted a short response. Maybe 4 or 5 sentences, it didn't take long at all. When I walked back out into the living room Jayda had gotten her diaper thing off and Brooklyn was standing behind her sniffing her. As soon as he saw me he moved away from her because I don't let him get near her and mess with her like that right now. Then Jayda walked over to Brooklyn and started licking his face and then got up on the sofa and laid down. So, they weren't alone together for more than a few minutes at the most and Brooklyn wasn't on her when I walked out. Like I said though, I don't know anything about this, so I didn't know if it was a quick thing or what?

You asked how long she's been in heat.. Again, I don't know any thing about this, so are you asking how long she's been bleeding? If so, it's been about 5 days. Brooklyn has tried to mount her a few times, but we don't ever leave them alone together, today was a first time thing and I don't know what I was thinking! He will sniff her, lick her, hold his head, ears and tail up high, wag his tail and get this crazy look in his eyes. Jayda doesn't like it though and she will try to get away from him when he gets like that. Every single time he has tried to mount her she will yelp really loudly and sit down, and of course, I will get him to leave her alone and get one of them to come sit by me. So, I was thinking that she would have yelped, but who knows?? If it's something that take a little bit of time than I seriously doubt she's pregnant. They were only alone for a couple minutes.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
If she is pregnant, you may have a hard time finding a vet to do the spay. Our clinic won't knowingly do it, and we won't do it while a dog is in heat either. We wait for a couple of weeks after she's out of heat so you would know if she is pregnant. If your vet has an ultrasound machine, you could have them take a look, or if you wait a couple of weeks, an xray could show puppies if the spines have formed (if there are any that is)

Hopefully all the worrying will be for nothing. Good luck.
Oh, I didn't know that. Our vet spayed Destiny when she was going into her first heat. They charged us an extra $45 because of it. I'm worried sick over this! I hope that nothing happened! I really don't think anything did, but you never know!

Old 10-13-2007, 05:25 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,073 times
I was looking for some answers, and I found this one that may help you. O, I HOPE YOU ARE WORRIED FOR NO REASON!!!GOOD LUCK!!!

When a dog goes into heat she will be in heat most likely for a few weeks. If she gets bred she is most likely pregnant. Pregnancy lasts from 58-66 days. The earliest you can tell is 3-4 weeks along when you can go to the vet and get a test called repro check(that costs $20-$30). Small breed dogs will start getting bigger around 5 weeks. With bigger breed dogs sometime they don't show much until the 6-7 week. Other signs are increased interest in food and water, tummy that is pushed against ribs, lying around more, and possible increase in urinating due to the enlarging uterus that is squishing the blatter.

And you are not selfish!!!You are actually concerned, because you don't want to "add to the problem", being that there are so many dogs without home out there...Again, I hope you are worried for nothing.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:15 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Thought you were getting them fixed 2 months ago! Call the vet asap & get him fixed. just as soon as she is out of heat spay her!!
On 7-27 you posted to BrianH 'We are getting Brooklyn nutered on Thursday Aug 9th at 2pm.' Too bad you didn't!

Last edited by Katie1; 10-13-2007 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-13-2007, 07:56 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Mommie, I think that there are injections that can interrupt a pregnancy of only a day or two. I'm sure the vet will know.

You are a wonderful pet owner. The only mistake you made was underestimating how manly Brooklyn is! What a guy.

It will be OK. Go to an emergency vet clinic first thing tomorrow so you get some peace of mind.

If there were puppies, I think you would find a lot of CDers starting a list.

Let us know what happens.

Joe.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:59 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,900 times
Quote:
Oh, I didn't know that. Our vet spayed Destiny when she was going into her first heat. They charged us an extra $45 because of it. I'm worried sick over this! I hope that nothing happened! I really don't think anything did, but you never know!
Some vets will..even among our three docs, there is probably some discussion, but it is policy not to do it, maybe under extreme circumstances on a case by case basis, but in general, we don't do it. I honestly don't know what the original reasoning was, I just know we don't do it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they didn't get a chance to get the job done

Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times
Quote:
We don't ever leave them alone together. Not just when she's in heat, we never leave them alone together because we don't want them to get in a fight or something and us not be right there to stop it. I had the diaper thing on her, which she does not like by the way.. lol! So I assumed that it would be okay to get the water dish out of the snake tank, clean it out real quick and fill it up with fresh water. You know that doesn't take very long. But our snake's tank is in the office next to the computer and after I put the water dish back in the tank I sat down, read a post and posted a short response. Maybe 4 or 5 sentences, it didn't take long at all. When I walked back out into the living room Jayda had gotten her diaper thing off and Brooklyn was standing behind her sniffing her. As soon as he saw me he moved away from her because I don't let him get near her and mess with her like that right now. Then Jayda walked over to Brooklyn and started licking his face and then got up on the sofa and laid down. So, they weren't alone together for more than a few minutes at the most and Brooklyn wasn't on her when I walked out. Like I said though, I don't know anything about this, so I didn't know if it was a quick thing or what?

You asked how long she's been in heat.. Again, I don't know any thing about this, so are you asking how long she's been bleeding? If so, it's been about 5 days. Brooklyn has tried to mount her a few times, but we don't ever leave them alone together, today was a first time thing and I don't know what I was thinking! He will sniff her, lick her, hold his head, ears and tail up high, wag his tail and get this crazy look in his eyes. Jayda doesn't like it though and she will try to get away from him when he gets like that. Every single time he has tried to mount her she will yelp really loudly and sit down, and of course, I will get him to leave her alone and get one of them to come sit by me. So, I was thinking that she would have yelped, but who knows?? If it's something that take a little bit of time than I seriously doubt she's pregnant. They were only alone for a couple minutes.
So they were alone together? But just a few minutes right? The snake thing is pretty quick to do. So I am understanding correctly. I know what you mean about the fighting thing so I was surprised that they were alone at all. You should really consider separating them until the heat is over. Not just because of the pregnancy but they can get into a fight if he gets bugging her while she's in heat. I doubt you want that, a mad biatch can really be mean. Also that could start a bad relationship for them down the road even after she has finished her cycle. So something to consider.

I will tell you she is probably not pregnant, IF it was just a few minutes and they were not tied when you walked in. Ties can be short but usually they take awhile, its to ensure pregnancy so that she has the best chance of getting pregnant. So the longer the better it is believed, within reason of course. He was just showing interest and doesn't sound like they did anything. You didn't observe any liquid on the ground or her? A lot of males don't get in right away and she would maybe have some on her back or legs and there would be some on the floor while he is trying. Then if he did get in and tied when he pulls out some will still drip out to there would have likely been physical evidence. I'm not sure what everyone else thinks but it doesn't seem long enough for them to have tied, seems like he was just starting to get an interest.

I'd seriously consider separating them. If she is only day 5 in her heat cycle she is likely not receptive to him (like you said she gets upset and sits) but when she is ready she might back up to him and she will be wanting to breed. It depends on the female but some will try to breed so it will be hard to always be on them all the time. Its a natural instinct and not really fair to frustrate or tease either of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs