Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM

857 posts, read 2,217,147 times

Advertisements

How old is the oldest EBD on here?

I have read they only live to be 8-10 years old/tell me this isn't so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
I have a friend who had and english bulldog that live to be 13. The bulldog was kept on the very slender side and was very active, she did agility for many years. The dog did things you do not think of as things bulldogs could do because she was conditioned for it. I think keeping their weight down, getting a lot of exercise and a good diet will help them live longer just as it will other dogs . They may be things that one has to start early on and keep up for the life time of the dog to see the benefits. As just like people if you are overweight and lazy or do things like smoke , abuse substaces by middle age you may have done damage to your body that can not be reversed, improved perhaps but the actual damage may be done and can not be undone.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Our Rescue is an old girl of 6 years.Is very inactive but not overweight.

Will have to build up her tolerance to walking. Want her to live a long life.She is a sweetheart.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM

NO Bulldog owners/how sad.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
ive got a frinedwith bulldogs she helps raise pups for a friend of hers who breeds them...10 is an old bulldog...shes got one whos turning 13 and just now realy starting to slow down, shes another thats been kept active and lean, but for most 10 is about there...

Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
I have one,2 yr old. Very active, handsome and very very popular. I am out of town now. He stays with one of neighbors although I have a dog sitter stay at my home to... I have many neighbors asking whether he can stay with them for a couple of days. He is the only dog I have that doesn't want to stay at home. He always wants to go to my neighbor home. There were times I almost decided to give him to his favorite neighbor. The dog loves him way more than me. I really feel betrayed...

I don't know how long he will live. He does have some allergy here there so immunosystem is not perfect.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
There used to be a prolific poster here with two bulldogs...Porkchop and...hmmm, can't recall the older ones name (was it Meatloaf?) I don't see her around here much anymore since she had a baby.

On another note...the previous posters are right...OEB's average lifespan is around 10/11 years but that doesn't mean they can't/won't live longer.

I have a French Bulldog...he's my youngest of four dogs and this breed has an average lifespan of only 8/9 years...maybe 10. It sometimes make me sad that my youngest dog might die before my 7, 8 & 9 year old Boston Terriers.

I say love them for as long a time as you have with them. That's all we can do even with our human counterparts. Each day is a gift.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
NO Bulldog owners/how sad.
Used to breed and show them. I assume you want to get a purebred. If so check the
AKC pedigree paying close attention to inbreeding, not to be confused with line
breeding. Before you buy go to some shows and talk to the breeders when you see
a dog you like. Never ever buy any dog at a pet store or sight unseen, or on line.
They are puppy mills and you will inherit a nightmare of problems - especially with this breed.

Because of heavy inbreeding in the 70's & 80's these problems developed:
1) Cleft Pallate
2.) Hip Displasia
3.) Rose Eye

Several more not as problematic. They are a great breed and a barrel of laughs. Life span is 8-12 years
if you take good care of their health and keep weight within guidelines.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Used to breed and show them. I assume you want to get a purebred. If so check the
AKC pedigree paying close attention to inbreeding, not to be confused with line
breeding. Before you buy go to some shows and talk to the breeders when you see
a dog you like. Never ever buy any dog at a pet store or sight unseen, or on line.
They are puppy mills and you will inherit a nightmare of problems - especially with this breed.

Because of heavy inbreeding in the 70's & 80's these problems developed:
1) Cleft Pallate
2.) Hip Displasia
3.) Rose Eye

Several more not as problematic. They are a great breed and a barrel of laughs. Life span is 8-12 years
if you take good care of their health and keep weight within guidelines.
I realize many people would prefer a puppy esp.since EBD are so short lived BUT

there are so many that get dumped,RESCUE is a good way to go,as I did with my EBD..

Thanks though.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
My brother has 3 , 2 he got from breeders as young puppies the 3rd he got as an adult from the local shelter. He and his wife were at the shelter and saw the dog there and decided what was one more?

Giving a home to an middle age or older dog is always a great thing to do !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs