Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times

Advertisements

This is a story that does not have a happy ending: the night before last, our daughters 1 year old Dobbie was just fine, he was playing with his sister and enjoying a wonderful exercise time, in his dog run. After a few minutes he curled up on his bed and within minutes was dead. Yesterday, they took him to the vets and decided to do an autopsy because it happened so fast. Before the doctor even got started, he found the problem. Slater had been shot in the heart with a pellet gun. It was a tiny wound, but hit right in the organ and he bled out.

None of us think it was it was deliberate, it was dark when he was outside, they live in a simi rural area, but very much a residentual one. At least we know he didn't suffer at all, but just think, this could have been her little 5 year old granddaughter. If a pellit gun can kill a 60 lb dog it could do the same to a 40 lb child.

The holidays are coming, we all know BB guns and pellit guns are popular gifts, so please, stress to everyone you know, guns should be used only in side open country spaces and shooting ranges and when given as gifts, please include lessons on gun safety. It could by your dog, cat or child next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 08:37 AM

6,485 posts, read 6,694,660 times
That is a very sad but eye-opening story. Sorry about the loss of your daughter's precious dog.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,180,930 times
To calm, something is wrong with this.

IF my daughters dog was shot in the heart I would be up in arms, livid.
The cops would have been called.
I would have been scrutinizing my neighbors.

Where was this dog when it got shot?
I don't think a stray pellet fount it's way to a direct hit on the heart.
To me this sounds like a deliberate action and at close range.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:22 PM

757 posts, read 1,330,197 times
Many years ago, my ex husband had a very strong pellet gun. The kind you bend the barrel down, put in one pellet. The pellet goes as fast as a .22 cal.

They use to shoot from inside the garage, out the garage door and into a target way out in the back yard. I was doing laundry and came out of the house and I turned to walk into the garage right as somebody was shooting.

I got shot right in the neck. I was very lucky, the pellet hit that big muscle right by the juggler and it popped back out of my neck. It was very close range and left a big painful welt on my neck.

What I am saying is, same as snofarmer, I wouldn't think it was a stray, if it bounced off anything, it would be going to slow to go through the chest wall. I think that it was done at very close range and somebody was aiming.

They may have thought nothing would happen, it's just a pellet gun. I thought the same thing and killed my rooster. It kept attacking my hen. Blanks are very dangerous also. If it was a child who has the pellet gun, they need to teach that child some gun safety.

JMO

Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,879,579 times
agree with the others, at minimum a police report would be filed!
if this was an "accident" (i highly doubt it) then people in the area need to be questione, NOONE and i mean NOONE should be shooting ANY kind of gun in a residential area if there are people/properties close enough...
I shoot on my land (and not a pellet gun) BUT its "close range" into a VERY large target set up against a wall of cinder blocs 4blocks deep. on 4 12 acres of land directed towards the back of my property where theres an open priate property currenlty uninhabite but "feircly guarded" by cameras and such to prevent tresspassing...(meaning should i ever miss...its highly unlikely anyone would be walking around in range to be hit.)

anything going fast enough to pincture through the chest cavity into the heart was either A: high powered if shot "accidentally" from distance or B, CLOSE RANGE. bbs/pellets can and will break the skin (it was a common condition when working at he vets with recues wed have dogs come in peppere with pellets uner the skin...) but to ge through thechest inot the chest cavity AND puncture the heat...its unlikey to be "accidental"

Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 PM

482 posts, read 875,973 times
Reminder- people using guns can kill dogs. I am so sorry for the loss.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

IF my daughters dog was shot in the heart I would be up in arms, livid.
The cops would have been called.
I would have been scrutinizing my neighbors.

Where was this dog when it got shot?
I don't think a stray pellet fount it's way to a direct hit on the heart.
To me this sounds like a deliberate action and at close range.
Some including one of her daughtes and husband thinks it was deliberate. Both dogs were in their dog run and it was night time. They did not hear the shot. Of course they do not want to believe anyone, in their neighbhood would do something like this. It is a quiet semi rural,residentually area. There are no homes across the street, they own both lots on one side of them. The home on the other side is owned by a couple in their 70s, who happen to be on vacation right now. I will add, the area is upper middle class. The dogs were never out,other than spending a few minutes a day in their run. They were walked by daughter and son inlaw morning and night. The few neighbors they have knew and loved the dogs.

As for the police, of course it was reported to them plus my daughter wrote to the local newspaper and has let everyone know what happened.She is still beside herself, so is her husband.

We are trying to believe it was an accident. We want to think the bullet was meant for one of the many birds, squirrels, coons or something like that we see daily, or even a deer. Regardless, it doesn't hurt to remind people that all guns can kill. This is not to preach on gun control. I am the last one that would do that. It is meant to make people aware of the dangers and hopefully people will read this and talk to their kids (if is was a kid) not only about gun safety but about the importance of life. For those who enjing, it can be a wonderful sport, but domesticated animals are not for hunting.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:54 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
Quote:
Nita doesn't post lies, if that's what you're inferring.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,180,930 times
Relax, fontucky, you have no horse in this race and I now see the info that we all need to read in the OP's post #7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Nita doesn't post lies, if that's what you're inferring.
to the op,
I'm sorry for your loss.
I'd be livid.
'be canvasing the neighborhood, knocking on every door asking if any of the /parents if they have a pellet gun?

Offer a reward for any info.
Kids like truing in bad kids for a few $$$.
kids can't keep their mouths shut.

What kind of a investigation did the police do,
I bet they just took a report and did nothing?
I still don't see this as a accident.
The shot was on target.

To much of a fluke shot to be so on target for a kill shot.
Pellet guns can be very quite.
They don't make a loud report like a 22cal gun.
I think we all know guns are used by people to kill.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
Quote:
Relax, fontucky, you have no horse in this race
How do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs