Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 02:29 PM

752 posts, read 1,166,198 times

Advertisements

As a carpenter who work mostly in remodeling I suffer from dogs attitude. Recently one rule at first floor and I remodel basement. If none is at home I can’t go up to use restroom, dog want bite me. But if he come down, a few times without owner too, he is very friendly. Is it possible to explain dog to free route to restroom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 03:00 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,477,957 times
My advice to you would be to first tell the owner of the home what is happening. Maybe if the dog sees you going back and forth to the bathroom with the owner she will understand that your presence in that part of the house is okay. I would also ask the owner if would be okay to offer the dog a treat whenever you arrive to do work so that she does not think of you as a threat.

If all else fails, perhaps the owner can keep the dog in a different part of the house so that you have access to a bathroom without running into the dog. I know it may not makes sense to you but she is doing her job by guarding her home and family. Once she knows you as a friend and not a threat she may allow you more freedom. Gaining that trust may not be reasonable in the short time you are working in the house.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,353,148 times
Are you sure the dog wants to bite you? I'm questioning this because of how friendly he's been towards you in the basement. You may be misinterpreting boisterous excitement as a threat. Maybe the dog is simply a barker with no "aggression" behind the noise. If you have to go upstairs and he's barking, move slowly and casually, act distracted, avoid eye contact, relax, toss him some treats. But of course you should ask the owners if the dog has a bite history and if they think it would be safe for you to move past the dog to use the restroom.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:20 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,920,301 times
Tell ALL homeowners they must shut their dogs up for you to work there.

Also make sure people with dogs around have HOMEOWNERS insurance and show you the policy and make sure it's still active.

Just like I would demand you show me YOURS.

Also take a picture of the dog.

Being able to read a dog's body language is tricky. Also, wagging tail is not always "happy/friendly".

Worst case, get a baby gate and put in your truck. Use as a "block" when you need to pass by a dog if the dog is not big.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Tell ALL homeowners they must shut their dogs up for you to work there.

Also make sure people with dogs around have HOMEOWNERS insurance and show you the policy and make sure it's still active.

Just like I would demand you show me YOURS.

Also take a picture of the dog.

Being able to read a dog's body language is tricky. Also, wagging tail is not always "happy/friendly".

Worst case, get a baby gate and put in your truck. Use as a "block" when you need to pass by a dog if the dog is not big.
Sound tips. Personally, I have strict rules on dogs. ALL dogs must be penned or chained, period. I won't have them in proximity to where I need to work. I have customers with dogs who know me, and we have made friends, which is different, however, sometimes, in their desire to be friendly, they get in the way. So, they get put up.

Strange dogs, large or small, mjst be restrained. I have been bit by to many dovs that "would NEVER bite". May as well point a gun tbat I haven't personally checked at me and tell me it's ok, it's not loaded. Ain't happening.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 AM

752 posts, read 1,166,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sound tips. Personally, I have strict rules on dogs. ALL dogs must be penned or chained, period. I won't have them in proximity to where I need to work. I have customers with dogs who know me, and we have made friends, which is different, however, sometimes, in their desire to be friendly, they get in the way. So, they get put up.

Strange dogs, large or small, mjst be restrained. I have been bit by to many dovs that "would NEVER bite". May as well point a gun tbat I haven't personally checked at me and tell me it's ok, it's not loaded. Ain't happening.
I have been bit only once by one female German Shepard. I did keep ignoring her. When come home I had two bloody dots at my underwear. She bite me for but. In Europe one bite me for but too. My rule is if I estimate that dog can tear of part of my but I do not risk.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

You're exactly right. People will say all sorts of crap that isn't true. They also fail to realize or believe that walking in someone's house ALONE is completely a different deal.

And I say this as a DOG WALKER/PET SITTER

Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
I have been bit only once by one female German Shepard. I did keep ignoring her. When come home I had two bloody dots at my underwear. She bite me for but. In Europe one bite me for but too. My rule is if I estimate that dog can tear of part of my but I do not risk.
Oh man, female GSD will bit the FASTEST and most ACCURATE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs