Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 PM

46 posts, read 154,594 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone on here lives in an apartment with a beagle?
Im gunna be relocating to Murfreesboro, Tn. in July and i cant really afford much more than an apartment cause ill just be turing 18 but i wanna get a beagle once i move.. so i was just wondering if anyone else has done it and if theyre dogs happy or not.. i mean i would walk him everyday so he would get excersize and stuff but ive heard they howl... so i dont know if it would work with having one in a apartment cause they like to run and howl but if you know please let me know... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 12:50 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,008,193 times
The beagles that I've met would be too energetic to be happy in an apartment. Especially if it's a young one.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:09 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,337,741 times
They're fox hunters. Hound dogs. My family raises nothing BUT beagles.

They're so cute, floppy, and adorable, no matter what age. I thnk having one in an apartment would be cruel. They have lots of energy, and love attention. They have a tendancy (as do most dogs) to get very territorial and destroy your property when they feel neglected. Having one in your apartment would be a little bit on the selfish side. Cats are good apartment adjusters. Dogs require freedom and a certain level of attention/attachment that is hard to accomadate if you are living by yourself. I love huskies.. I want a husky or a german shepherd.. but I refuse to get one right now, because it wouldn't be fair to the dog, just because I love them. They would be better off on a farm, or a big house with kids or other playmates constantly to be with.

Think what's best for the dog you don't own yet, not to fit your current fancies.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 PM

673 posts, read 3,137,289 times
I volunteer alot at the SPCA and have met some great beagles and some very loud ones too! LOL Some can have quite the howl and bark so I would be weary of having one (its not just Beagles, other breeds as well) in an apartment. The last thing you want to do is to have to deal with upset neighbors because of your dog.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,424,020 times
You're just turning 18 and you'll probably be out a lot during the day (working/school) as well as probably having fun out in the evening hours. Any inside animal needs more attention than you can probably afford at this time in your life, so my suggestion would be to wait for a few years before taking on any animal. A beagle is DEFINITELY not an apartment dog.

If there's an animal rescue/shelter facility in the area to which you'll be moving, volunteer as a walker/groomer. Shelters crave people like you to spend time socializing with animals. You'll not only be doing a wonderful service but I think will find this a much better arrangement than taking on full responsibility.

When I was a kid and wasn't able to have a dog, I found some neighbours who had a raggy little mutt who let me take him for walks. I even took him to a local dog show once and he won his class for oddest-looking mutt!

All the very best to you. Cheers!

Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,197,696 times
I must agree with the others that know that apartment living is not for a high energy dog such as the Beagle.

As stated you being 18 years old are most likely planning on going to school and working and enjoying time with friends on the weekends which would limit your time with any dog.

Take the advice given on seeking out an animal rescue group that you can give hands on volunteer time to and you'll get canine fix and get to meet many dogs of different breeds and mixed breeds to give you an idea on what you'd like some day

Old 10-16-2007, 07:45 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,082,986 times
My apt building has had a beagle pup here for 2 weeks! So far the most complaints has been howling. Lucky for me he is not on my floor!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:17 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,366,445 times
My dog is 13 years old. I found her on the street when she was one. I was 32 when I first got her and I've lived in many different apartments and moved all over the world. I would never go anywhere without my dog, but I can tell you, it's been a HUGE sacrifice!!! Most apartment managers don't allow dogs. I can't travel without my dog, because she has some problems and I would never trust anyone else with her. Once she was kicked off an airplane because some noises freaked her out. It cost me $1,000 to rebook the trip. I am older now. I work from home and don't go out much. I would not recommend a beagle puppy for an 18 year old who lives in an apartment. It's a lot of work, and I'm sure you would rather be out dating and dancing and having fun.

Greenie

Old 10-18-2007, 09:30 PM

93 posts, read 306,324 times
I have a cute 7 month old beagle and he is just fine in my apartment. He only howls when he plays outside. Get your beagle, They are worth it!!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 AM

18,606 posts, read 33,173,132 times
I must agree with those who point out that the OP is not in a position to have any kind of dog due to schedule and type of housing.
That said, a beagle would be a disaster in an apartment. I recently adopted an 8-year-old beagle and he is the noisest dog I've ever seen. One of my other rescues, a Lab/Border Collie, runs at him, snarling and barking, as if "JUST SHUT UP" and he backs off and bays even louder, in protest.
I didn't get dogs until I owned a house with a fenced yard. I unfortunately guarantee if a person with job/school/apartment (never mind of an age to go out with friends a lot) gets a puppy, it'll be in a shelter inside of a year.
And remember, a puppy is something like a 15-year commitment. If you're of an age and inclination to be moving around for school, career, whatever, so many many places won't permit any kind of pet, never mind a yowling beagle.
My beagle is sleeping next to me right now. Even with the way I live (a homebody, own home in the woods with fenced yard and a night job) I am still very tied down to the dogs' needs and schedules.
Please don't take an adorable puppy and end up having to put it in a shelter or rescue group when it's no longer cute and bouncing off the walls. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs