Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

We're kicking around the idea of getting a dog. It's just the three of us (me, husband and son age 9). My son is well behaved, but a bit scared of dogs, so we think now we are 'allowed' to have one we may get a small dog.

I want a rescue dog and saw a Westie mix might be available. What sort of dog are they? I think Westies are so adorable but I want something that is not going to nip my son. (or us!).

We're pretty active people (go to parks every weekend). I walk every day and would be able to bring it to the local park (or my husband would). What do you guys think of this breed?

If not, what's a good small dog for a family? (we're only allowed a smallish dog due to our lease).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 03:54 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times
I don't know a thing about them ...sorry

We have a mini Aussie who loves kids( I always say I need to rent a kid to play w/ him) and doesn't heard them ....but he needs more then a walk in the park for sure

I hear papillons are great dogs but I don't know much about them either

Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We're pretty active people (go to parks every weekend). I walk every day and would be able to bring it to the local park (or my husband would). What do you guys think of this breed?

If not, what's a good small dog for a family? (we're only allowed a smallish dog due to our lease).
I have read numerous books recently since I am in the same situation.

Westies are wonderful dogs and have an excellent temperament. However, with poor breeding they have had negative qualities.

Westie Profiler

If you want predictability, consider a purebred dog - especially, given your living arrangements (it's you or the dog).

A great couple of books are "Paws to Consider" and "Adoptable Dog".

There are so many factors in choosing one (I have taken 5 weeks) and I am still wondering if the Rescue will give us a chance:

Size
Temperament
Shedding issues
Grooming issues
Energy level
Dog Health issues
Exercise requirements
Caveats about specific breeds
Male v Female

There are a couple of sites that are helpful:
Before you get your puppy & basic pet care. - First Time Dog Owner and Basic Questions - Dog Forums - Your #1 Pet Forums for all dog breeds and needs.

Find the Perfect Dog, Dog Search, Dogs broken down into Search Categories, Which Breed is right for you, Breed Search

Whatever you do, don't get one from a pet shop - you're only perpetuating a growing problem of pet overpopulation:

CAMPAIGNS | LCA - Last Chance for Animals (http://www.lcanimal.org/cmpgn/cmpgn_012.htm - broken link)

Stop Puppy Mills

Your alternative is to consider reputable breeders or a pet rescue (www.petfinder.com): (broken link)

WHWTCA Breeder Listing
----
I am working on getting a Bichon Frise from a Rescue. Otherwise, I will search for a Shih Tzu.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:53 AM

if you have a child I would push that you get a baby or young dog rescue, as you don't know the background of a older dog. Our guy was 8-9 months(young) when we rescued him and we had our hands full. I think rescue is awesome and we always will rescue but the first few months can be full of surprises.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Westies are a nice size. But like to bark. Be prepared to do bark training. And cause they are white, they can get fleas and can be allergic to flea meds.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Westies are great, and are one of the better terriers to have with kids. However, some can have a pretty high prey-drive (keep them on leash at the park, unless it's a fenced dog park. Also, remembering back to my vet-tech days, Westies seemed to be very prone to food and environment allergies. Just something to keep in mind... They are cute cute cute!

Old 10-16-2007, 12:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Thanks for all replies!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Westies are a nice size. But like to bark. Be prepared to do bark training. And cause they are white, they can get fleas and can be allergic to flea meds.
I know fleas are attracted to white ...is this your reasoning for saying this?

Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
the Bichon Frise is a great dog, also the australian terrier. if you use frontline you
should be o k flea wise.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 15,931 times
a westie has is a very active and loving dog. however, it has some problems. when they're left home and unattended they can be trouble makers and destruct the house. they LOVE to play and dig so put a invisible fence up! just a regular fence wouldnt work. westies are VERY intelligent and intelligent enough to dig holes under fences to escape. male westies are more outgoing and active and females are relaxing and easy going. both will be loving though.

hope this helped

caroline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs