U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 AM

7,493 posts, read 353,392 times

Advertisements

Have you ever experienced anything like this?

I recently began taking my dogs to the dog park every day. My Australian Shepherd runs herself to the point of foaming at the mouth, but she refuses to drink the water. I worry because I know she is really hot.

At home, when we play, I keep a big bowl of fresh water nearby, and she is constantly getting drinks.

At first I thought maybe the water had a strange taste, so I brought water from home along with her own drinking bowl. She still refused to drink.

I fully expect her to dive into the water bowl as soon as we get home, but she doesn't. She waits a while, and then she drinks a ton of water. This behavior seems very strange to me.

I'm really beginning to worry about dehydration while she's at the park.

Is my Australian Shepherd just being a water snob?

Anybody have any ideas? Advice?

Katie
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 PM

3,630 posts, read 14,050,281 times
I have working dogs who get very excited and don't want to drink but they need to.

I actually have a command = "Drink" kind of like teaching potty you catch them drinking and you name it and reward. You can take up the water at home for awhile and offer it to her and her reward is the drink.

Another thing I sometimes do (say when they are done working and I want to leave them with some water) is throw some food in the water - a few kibbles. They will drink to get to the food.

Some folks use dog hydration beverages for the sold purpose of getting their dogs to drink.

Obviously if the dog is running around you want to offer small amounts at any given time so they dont run into issues with the stomach. .....

Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 PM

5,016 posts, read 11,982,972 times
Sorry I have to laugh as there is an aussie that comes to our dog park and is in the pack that my dogs play with. When she was a puppy she got sick so the vet suggested it might be the water at the dog park so told them not to let her drink it so the owner started bringing her own water and bowl and of course they pull it out and all the other dogs in our pack want that water too. When the owner realized none of the other dogs have gotten sick and they do drink the water at the dog park from the community bowl she stopped bringing water but by then her dog had learned not to drink from that community bowl.

Guess you just can't win sometimes.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM

1,687 posts, read 2,877,159 times
THis is funny, because My dog will drink water ONLY AT the Dog Park! She won't touch it at home. Bowl is out all the time, but can't get her to drink. UNLESS I drop some Tripe into her water - then she'll fish the Tripe out of there.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM

537 posts, read 1,703,486 times
My Aussie girl is a water snob, too. She won't drink the dog park water, nor the water at the trainer's house. I bring bottled Spring Water and a bowl. I offer her a drink when we get back to the car. She seems to be OK with this.
Personally, I don't blame her. LOL!

I had a mutt that, whenever we brought her home from the kennel, would drink a TON of water. So, whenever we went out of town and left her there, I would take a gallon jug of water from home (along with her own food.) From then on, she wasn't as thirsty when she got home from the kennel.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM

7,493 posts, read 353,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post
My Aussie girl is a water snob, too. She won't drink the dog park water, nor the water at the trainer's house. I bring bottled Spring Water and a bowl. I offer her a drink when we get back to the car. She seems to be OK with this.
Personally, I don't blame her. LOL!

I had a mutt that, whenever we brought her home from the kennel, would drink a TON of water. So, whenever we went out of town and left her there, I would take a gallon jug of water from home (along with her own food.) From then on, she wasn't as thirsty when she got home from the kennel.
My Aussie won't drink the water at the dog park but will eat dog poop every chance she gets. She won't eat just any dog poop though. It has to be poop from our border collie. Go figure!

I did try bringing my own water and bowl from home, and the aussie wouldn't touch it. I'm going to try that again, but this time, I'll offer it to her from the car. I'm starting to wonder if it's a vulnerability issue. Maybe she doesn't feel safe when drinking at the park.

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs