Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 AM

905 posts, read 3,455,646 times

Advertisements

My vets suspects Pancreatitis in my dog. We go for ultrasound Monday. I hope there is a vet tech or vet who might be able to provide me with some info.

History: Jake is a 12.5 yrs old Border Collie mix. Came down with Rheumatoid arthritis at 9 months.
He was given 1/2 a Deramaxx on a as need basis for years.

About 9 months ago he was switched to Previcox, 1/2 tablet daily. As a result he has been having liver panels done every 3 months. Around Thanksgiving his blood test showed elevated liver enzymes. He was prescribed a supplement to aid Liver function and to help bring down the levels. The Vet also noticed his Pancreas levels were elevated as well. He prescribed antibiotics. The blood tests from 12/19/12 were elevated as well. The numbers are Liver: ALT 121 and ALKP 283. Pancreas: LIPA 3695.

He was prescribed another 2 weeks of antibiotics and another round of the liver supplements. He was rechecked 2 days ago and both Liver and Pancreas levels were more elevated. I don't have the numbers for the most recent blood test as he called over the phone.

If it had not been for the blood test showing elevated Pancreas enzymes he has been pretty much asymptomatic. He has not really acted sick. No diarrhea that I have seen. Throughout all this he has maybe thrown up 3-4 times? It has been very infrequent and usually in the mornings before being fed. His weight has been steady.

His appetite is fine, most days he gobbles up all his food, some days he picks and might take a couple/3 hours to finish. (nothing unusual) For almost a year he has been on a home cooked diet: chicken, rice, mixed veggies, sweet potatos, occasionally chicken gizzards. Prior to that is was a combination of holistic canned and dried food supplemented with the home cooked food. He takes 3V omega caplets and glucosamine/chondroitin tablets daily.

Should he be taken of Previcox? I have reduced him to 1/2 tablet about every 3 days or so, or as needed.

When I asked the vet about treatment options he said it would depend on the ultrasound results. If no tumor is found he could be hospitalized and given fluids and flush out his system. When I read on the internet is sounds like that is treatment for acute cases.

I absolutely adore this dog and want to make him as comfortable as possible and give him the best quality of life. I would appreciate your advice. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,357,725 times
I'm afraid I can't help you, but I have to say how impressed I am with the care you're giving Jake. We also had a border collie mix, named Jimmy, who we lost at the age of 14 just after Christmas. I understand completely how your world can revolve around your boy, believe me. Jimmy was also treated to a homecooked diet of chicken, veggies supplements -- and oatmeal. He could never digest rice. But for most of his life, he was a raw fed dog. I really hope Jake's ultrasound comes back clean and you and y our vet can figure out how to stabilize those values.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:05 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,620 times
Just happy you're enjoying each others' company for right now. Sorry, no words of comfort, just acknowledgement. Thank you for posting.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Thanks Ya'll! I appreciate you taking the time to offer support. I am here to tell you he has been showered(smothered) with lots of love the past few months. We even cancelled a vacation in order to stay home and have good quality of time with him.

Name:  Jakepark.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  3.8 KB

Looking for info on Pancreatitis-jake.jpg

Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
I just saw your post and have a 12 year old dog who just got sick. she did throw up and had the runs.
She did go to the vet and he did the blood work and was going to do an xray. He didnot xray since I said I am
sure she did not get into anything. I did ask him to keep her since I felt he could help more than I.
Her blood work all came back fine but the liver results are almost just as yours. Her thyroid is low so she has a pill for that. She for now is on the hills liver food and will eat it. Today she did want some of her reqular Iams so I gave her
some. She seems now also to drink more water than normal but at least she keeps it down.
I wish your dog well

Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM

The ultrasound results showed a diseased liver. Not definitive for Cancer but a high probability. It's so crazy he is not acting sick even though there is major liver issues. He has very irregular liver margins, pustules, & a rough and irregular surface. As of tonight we have opted for a needle biopsy to decide on how to proceed. We are transitioning to a healthy liver diet and anti-oxidants. Most likely we will not opt for any surgery or chemo. Please send Jake your prayers and positive thoughts. He is truly a special boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs