Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:17 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,699,706 times

Advertisements

I was just curious. Are you allowed to take your dog around with you to shopping centers or around town, aside from pet stores (i.e. shopping mall or retail stores)? How about if you carried him or her in a bag or backpack?

Petsmart.com - Dog: Carriers: Outward Hound™ Backpack Carrier

Petsmart.com - Dog: Carriers: Outward Hound™ Front Carrier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,253,901 times
we take cody to get Chinese food and I walk him up and down the plaza sidewalks ...it's good socialization

Old 10-11-2007, 08:21 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,203,940 times
My two go in the car with me, weather permitting and they go in where I work and into the vet clinic. Having no clue if other dogs roaming around Petco and Petsmart are vaccinated or not I'd never take the risk.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,281,478 times
There's a restaurant here in Texas called Hondo's that has outside seating. Dogs are allowed.
Otherwise, I don't know of anywhere else that allow dogs inside.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 AM

13,909 posts, read 39,100,632 times
Service dogs are the only dogs allowed in public building..most pet shops welcome all animals inside. Then it depends on the business.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Having no clue if other dogs roaming around Petco and Petsmart are vaccinated or not I'd never take the risk.
That is a great point!

It's nice to see the perspective of people with so much more experience than myself on things. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:45 PM

859 posts, read 2,141,507 times
I take one or the other with me never both, cause I dont them fighting over spots lol

But no I dont take them in stores either, as Cloesmom said, you just never know who is UTD with shots, or what other things they may carry arround with them. I just dont want too take that risk.
I dont even go to the Dog park for that reason.....

Old 10-12-2007, 02:05 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,152,358 times
We don't really take our dogs in many places, besides friends homes, the vet and pet stores, but we do take them a lot of places. The go to the park and the beach a lot and we go to Orlando to visit friends and family every weekend, even if it's just for the day. So we bring our dogs with us then. There have been times where we had to stop by a store, and there was even a time where we ran in the mall, and we did bring our dogs in with us. When we first got Brooklyn, he was 8 weeks old, and we brought him in a mall with us, but I held him the whole time. We were waiting for someone to say something to us about it, but no one ever did. Everyone just wanted to pet him! lol! Now that they are all bigger we don't even try to bring them in stores like that anymore, but they do go all over the place with us. If we are going to be gone for more than a few hours, our dogs come with us.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:21 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,100,632 times
Not taking them around other dogs is like locking yourself behind closed doors because you are afraid of getting sick...poor doggie. #1 Make sure your dog is current on all shots. For puppies that would be about 4 mos but check with your vet. #2 If you are really going around strange dogs alot re booster every 6 months instead of yearly. #3 pick up after your dog..if you see others not then advoid that area as lots of nasty things are transfered in poo [parvo for 1]. #4 Relax & Enjoy!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
When we first got Brooklyn, he was 8 weeks old, and we brought him in a mall with us, but I held him the whole time. We were waiting for someone to say something to us about it, but no one ever did. Everyone just wanted to pet him! lol! Now that they are all bigger we don't even try to bring them in stores like that anymore, but they do go all over the place with us.
I was planning to do that by carrying the dog in a pack or something. However, I don't want someone to thing that I am using the dog as an accessory. Esp since I am a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs