Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,578,748 times

Advertisements

If you have owned or own a Welsh terrier, what is your experience? Thank you in advance for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,561,677 times
I owned a Welsh Terrier many years ago. He was a terribly sweet dog but not a good dog for a first time dog owner. He was VERY hard to housebreak and we never got it accomplished and found him a new home when I had childrent, [But back then we did not know about crate training] and terrible about running off to explore the world. But his temperament was very very sweet.

If you don't strip the coat regularly and only trim it it gets real soft [it no longer becomes that harsh wiry terrier coat]. They are not in the US a working terrier breed and have lost a lot of their terrior behavior. He was good with other dogs.

I

Old 06-25-2009, 05:45 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,372,595 times
I would start with the breed web site and then talk to several breeders if your interested in this dog...they are a terrier and are still competed in "go to ground" events. From my stand point with that white coat that needs a lot of grooming would not be attractive unless your into that. Also, many groomers don't do that type of coat and you'll end up with a dog that looks like a poodle.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,200,846 times
I had a Welsh terrier-poodle mix. She was one of my favorite dogs. She was a very loyal dog who preferred to be the only dog in my life. She got along great with my cats. She also loved being in my car. During car rides, she'd just fall asleep.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,561,677 times
Oh my Welsh Terrier got along fantstically with our cat. They were best friends which is unusual for a terrier, but he was a male and I hear the females have stronger hunting instincts. I think if I were going to go with a pet terrier I would probably choose a border terrier as I have heard they are still good ratters but not so pugnatious with other dogs as most terriers can be. Stripping a terrier coat and plucking ears is a lot of work.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,578,748 times
Thank you all for your input. My friend is thinking about getting one. He has an Airedale that he loves very much. Welsh terrier looks like a mini Airedale. But it seems no one he knows has experience with the breed. I am curious because my GSD plays with that Airedale often. She may get to play with the mini one too. I will tell him about the housebreaking issue.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,839 times
Default Welsh Terrier

We just recently lost our Welsh Terrier, he was 13 years old. We loved him; he was an easy going intelligent dog with one of the best dispositions of any dog we have (and we currently have 3 remaining and they all got along great.) Our Riley was a male and not a barker except to let you know he wanted something. He was very smart, funny, a little stubborn and very affectionate. My husband and I are a blended family with his dogs and mine and they all got along great. The other three miss their brother alot as it has been less than a week since Riley's passing. We are looking to get another Welsh Terrier in the future and would strongly recommend this breed to anyone thinking about getting one. Riley was easy to train with a dog door and he was friendly to everyone who visited and to other animals. He loved a comfy bed and to sit outside on the patio and play with toys. He was a sweetheart and a wonderful member of the family.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,065 times
i have male 4 month male old welsh . crate train ,hard to potty train , bit if you try to groom him get mad , can't get near is food or he will bit you, if you can't hit him with a new paper i was told no.so how do you discipline him or what to do??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs