Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 04:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,439,539 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, Obie will have his surgery on November 3rd. We have stairs that he will have to go down to go outside to use the bathroom so my husband built him a ramp today.

I have been taking him out on the leash and using only the ramp and taking him only to use the restroom.

I do have a crate for him but he has never used it.

Can you guys give me some post surgery pointers and help on getting him to use the crate, please?

Thanks so much! Also, he sleeps in my bedroom at night. I am guessing he will need to be crated for a while. I know I need to talk to his vet more about that but any insight will help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 05:38 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,997,547 times
Crate training should be fun and a blast for the dog.
Start now by putting a comfy bed in the crate and always leaving the door open.
Feed in the crate.
Make a habit of putting stinky treats in the crate for him to find throughout the day; don't point the treats in the crate out to him, just let him "find" them by chance or by nose. Let him explore the crate; at this point it is his choice whether he goes in to stay and nap in there or not. After a few days, toss in treats when he can see you doing it, then once he is voluntarily going into the crate to get the treats toss more in for him. If he stays in the crate, keep tossing treats in. If he leaves the crate toss a treat into the back of the crate and when he goes back into the crate to get the treat, toss more in for him. Practice doing this 3+ times a day. At some point he will realize crate = treats (it won't take long).

After a day or two, if he is doing well with the crate, toss treat in crate and when he goes in, shut the door briefly then immediately toss in treats through the door. Give it 10-15 seconds and open door. If he stays in crate, treat again. Give him the option to leave the crate but if he stays in then treat. Randomly close the door for 15-30 seconds. Rinse and repeat 3+ times daily for 2-3 days.

Next step is repeat but with a stinky stuffed kong he can work on in the crate. Tie the kong with a rope through the hole to the back of the crate so that he has to remain in the crate to work on the kong. Leave the door open. If he goes to work on the kong, then shut door but be ready to open the door once he is ready to come out again. Repeat for longer time durations. If at any time he begins to get frustrated in the crate and doesn't settle back down, open door, no big deal. Try again later with a shorter duration of time and with higher value treat. Continue working on the previous exercises of making sure to leave treats in the open crate for him to find and playing fun crate "games" of having him go into crate to get treats/close and open door/treat.

Since he is on a diet, you will need to cut back on his other food to compensate for the treats. Don't use his kibble for "treats", you need to make it worth his while to go into the crate so for this he gets high value tiny treats maybe cut up liver or cheese, or hotdog, whatever his favorite treat is.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:16 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,791,416 times
The best advice I can give you is to look for a message board or yahoo group for TPLO surgery. I found one when my GSD had his TPO surgery and the tips they gave me on how to deal with the dog during recovery were invaluable. To be clear, I'm not talking about medical advice, that should come from the vet.

You do need to get him used to the crate now. twelvepaw gave you good suggestions.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:00 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,132,966 times
Lots of good advice already given. I can only add a couple of things. You may want to use a sling to support his back end when taking him in and out of the house for potty breaks. Even a bath towel will work...or an oversize towel. Sorry, I can't remember what breed Obie is.

Your surgeon and online support groups will have the best advice for you. Wishing a successful surgery and recovery for Obie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs