Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 18,078 times

Advertisements

My dog is up to date on his vaccines and heart worm medicine. My husbands sister has a dog that has never had any vaccines or heart worm medicine. I was just wondering if my dog was at any risk playing with hers do to the fact that her dog is aggressive and does like to bite. I wasn't sure if my dog could still get some sort of something. Also my dog has a weak immunity system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
I generally wouldn't want my dog playing with an aggressive dog even if it was fully vaccinated. However, dogs can't catch heartworms from eachother and if your dog is up to date he would probably be ok. I foster dogs and many of them come here sick and needing vaccinations. My dogs have caught kennel cough -- only very mild forms -- from foster dogs a couple of times even though I do keep them up to date on bordetella vac's.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Tell her to vaccinate her dog. That's terrible. The poor thing will likely get sick. Dying from heartworms is a slow, agonizing process. What an awful dog owner.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Parvo is transmitted thru BM so IF she to lazy to take the dog to the vet I betting she to lazy to pickup & clean the yard. You can track BM home to your dog on your shoes!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times
I wouldn't. Vaccines aren't always 100%, and I see no sense in knowingly taking the risk.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Unless you know 110% her dog is free from heartworms, parvo, kennel cough etc I wouldn't. She needs to get her head on straight and get her dog vaccinated, VERY irresponsible.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
1: heartworm i NOT transferable between dogs...mosquitoe transmit heartworm...
2: thres not much your dog could catch from your sisters dog simpy by playing rough...the only blood born illness is rabies...and rabies is the ONLY thing i vaccinate my adult dogs for (every 3 years) and ONLY because it srequired by law...
it is not "mean or abusive" to not vcinate IF youve done your homework, ont know why these owners have choosen not to vacinate (but given no heartworm treatment id say lazyness more than education BUT, for thoe educated choosing not to vaccinate as adults is becomming more common practie due to increaed risk of vaccine reactions, increased risk of vaccine immunity (not working any more) and the fact that antibodies dont just ie every year, titer teteing is showing that immunity lasts MUCH longer thn even the newre 3 yearly scheduals being reccomended.
3: what IS trasferable between dog would be 1: parvo...now in a ormal ADULT dog this wouldnt be a big concern, parvo in ault dogs generally causes a bit of an upset tummy (if anything at all) however since YOUR dog has a compromised immune system if their dog has EVER been of its own property OR if strnge dogs have ever been ON its property theres potential risk, parvo is spread via feaces and can live in the dirt for MANY MANY years.
worms: again spread by feaces (and RARELY face licking), worms are easily treated and most heartworm protection is also a deworme too, but still its a risk.
Fleas: another very obvious one
Kennel cough/boratella (the boratella vaccine is USELESS, lasts 3-6 months and only protects agains a small number of the many strains...kennel cough like parvo in a Normal HELTHY adult dog is incredibly low risk, its the equivalent of a cold, BUT again given your dogs compromised immune system it would be something to seriously consider, bordatella becomes dangerous because in weaken systems (puppies, older dogs ect) it often turns to pneumonia.

im pro none vaccination personally BUT ony when people have done their reaserch (and i still belive regular heartworm and flea prevention and rabies vaccintions as requred by law are important,
but in this case, i wouldnt risk it since your dog has a comprimise immune system.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
The dog is aggressive. Keep your dog away from it. Vaccination has nothing to do with it. It could hurt your dog, or teach your dog to become dog aggressive.

You don't need an excuse. If you absolutely must have one, tell the sis-in-law that her dog doesn't play well with others. Then stick to your guns and don't allow anyone mock you to changing your policy. Your dog, your choice, and your responsibility to protect your pet.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:04 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,475,265 times
I agree...there is no reason to put your dog into the company of another that does not play well. The not being vaccinated would not worry me.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
pleae remmber folks 1 persons "agressive" is another persons "plays rough" and another persons "normal"
Dozer PLAYS ROUGH...hes not agressive in his play but hes growly noisy and plays "open mouth" (opens his mouth wide an half the time looks like hes actually tryign to swallow the other dog whole but he doesnt bite down and usually just "rolls" the other dog about with his head.

when hes playing with another dog who plays rough, they go at it and i let them, its messy and growly and noisey and rooly and looks like they are slaughtering eachother BUT they are having a blast...
when hes playing with my 2 little guys his tactics change, hes still open mouth and noisy but he knows he cant wrestle with them or play realy rough....but it still "looks" quite ferocious to someone who doesnt know...

nipping/mouthing/biting in play is COMEPLTLY different thn agressive behaviour, so we mustnt assume that the ops version of agressive is actually TRUE agression, it slikley the sisters dog is just a rough player, and THAT is something tht they as owners both need to aress, by correcting unwanted behviours and supervising playtime/ending it when it becomes to rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs