Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 PM

1,649 posts, read 999,218 times

Advertisements

We've had quite a problem with Coyotes. We have a small terrier mix that was attacked by a coyote this last summer as well as constant problems with coyotes hanging around at the edge of the property stalking our chicken coupe.

We've wanted to get a second dog for quite some time and thought why not get one that is big enough to keep the coyotes away.

Any breed recommendations? Both our summer and winter properties have several acres, and we have no small children. We're looking for something that is more a family dog, but also has the ability to be a working dog. Our neighbor has a big German Sheppard and has had no problems with coyotes coming around. They have chickens too. I would be OK with a dog that size but would prefer something closer to 50lbs They're dog is about 80lbs and while very friendly, he's pretty huge. Would something smaller like a border collie or Australian Shepard be good at keeping coyotes away?

Does anyone here have experience with this problem? What are some other solutions? I've heard scarecrows or wolf urine can work too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 12:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,627,693 times
To be blunt, it would not be fair to get a 50lb dog and expect them to guard chickens against coyotes or whatever is in your neighborhood. Especially NOT a border collie. I have had many BCs, they are not guard dogs, they are herding dogs. They also should live in the house and have a meaningful mentally tasking job. Many people who keep working border collies for herding sheep, also keep a breed called Kuvasz for the guarding portion. These dogs are typically not pets, do not come in the house, and live 24/7 with the sheep they see as their "pack". They would not be a good fit for your situation as the chickens will not provide the companionship they need.

Maybe I am misreading your post but it sounds like you want a dog you leave outside all day and night to guard the chickens correct?

Old 10-12-2017, 12:50 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,971,514 times
Fence with coyote rollers at the top.

I wouldn't put a companion dog into the position of guard dog. Neither an aussie or border collie would be appropriate for keeping coyotes away; they aren't wired to be watch dogs or guard dogs. As well, an adult coyote would be able to severely injure or kill an aussie or border collie without even thinking about it.

A great pyrenees or other LGD with the appropriate training would do the job, but- big caveat here- they tend to wander and they would likely suffer in the extreme AZ heat. And- as IKB mentioned above, these dogs don't always make great companion dogs.

Best choice for protection is to fence your property and put coyote rollers at the top.
https://coyoteroller.com/pages/what-is-a-coyote-roller

Old 10-12-2017, 01:04 PM

164 posts, read 172,337 times
I've had some experience with this situation.

First, I'd like to say that our hens were much more protected with a rooster so if you don't have a rooster, you may want to consider it. Also, the chickens went to roost at night in the coop where they were safe against most anything.

We adopted 2 puppies from our local humane society which we weren't sure what they were but knew they were some type of hound. They grew to be about 50lbs each. They were very effective with keeping coyotes, deer and bears and just about anything else away and they preferred to sleep on the porch where I put beds for them. In the winter, they had to sleep inside whether they liked it or not. We never were quite sure what type of dogs they were but they were very friendly and very effective at protecting our other animals and us. We later took in a golden retriever that was dumped near our house and she loved a few of our chickens to death before she understood not to, so be careful you don't end up with a dog that will kill your chickens.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:08 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,261,753 times
Yep. Coyote rollers. And don't let your pets outside unsupervised. Make sure you've got the best locks/barriers you can have on the chicken coop - my buddy's ducklings got pulled through a wire fence once by a fox.

Another friend's dad had a big mastiff-type dog that was supposed to guard the property from wildlife in NM. One day it disappeared and a few days later they found its head.

A Great Pyr or two would get the job done, but they're not easy dogs to own. A pack of Catahoulas would probably do the work too, but again, not easy dogs to own.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:42 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,708,805 times
I agree coyote rollers are your best option.

If you want a dog to deal with them, then you need a livestock guardian dog like a Great Pyrenees. IMO there is no way a border collie can handle a coyote, they don't have the temperament for it and they're too small. Aussies IMO are too small as well. You need something larger than the coyote to be effective and something that has the instinct to protect its property.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:57 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I agree coyote rollers are your best option.

If you want a dog to deal with them, then you need a livestock guardian dog like a Great Pyrenees. IMO there is no way a border collie can handle a coyote, they don't have the temperament for it and they're too small. Aussies IMO are too small as well. You need something larger than the coyote to be effective and something that has the instinct to protect its property.

also agree with this post but also get yourself a shot gun if you don't have one already . Or something that makes a very loud noise like an air horn if you don't want to use a gun . My father had a double barrel shotgun that his dad used on their farm for coyotes and wolves .

Old 10-12-2017, 02:53 PM

8,425 posts, read 10,836,898 times
One more important point, and that is, coyotes will attack anything if they are in a pac.
Doesn't matter the size of the animal, a pac will work together to take it down.

Bob.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:11 PM

4,321 posts, read 5,104,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
One more important point, and that is, coyotes will attack anything if they are in a pac.
Doesn't matter the size of the animal, a pac will work together to take it down.

Bob.
Yup, or even just a pair. This is a bad idea by the OP, most domestic dogs, no matter how big are no match for the wild instincts and talent of coyotes. You'd need to import one of those massive Russian breeds to have a chance (and I think they are illegal in the US).

Old 10-12-2017, 03:52 PM

13,627 posts, read 12,242,954 times
Great Pyrenese.

There's a youtube video of them killing yotes.

They are extremely independent guard dogs. Very friendly and cuddly, but very independent and don't listen or train really well. They would love a chicken heard to watch over I promise you!

They were bred to protect herds from wolves. So yeah.

My brother and his wife have one they rescued. He's a piece of work. Friendly as can be, gentle...

He'll roam if given a chance. On vacation, two houses down was rented by a two families with tons of kids. It seemed his favorite thing to do was go watch the children. He thought they were his sheep. They'd come up and hang on him, he just took it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs