Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 02:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,621,804 times

Advertisements

I would love for this thread to be a great place for those who own Shelties or breeds of similar to share what you like about this breed, if you own one and the experiences you have with this breed to their wonderful unique personalities. Photos are welcome.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 02:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,719,052 times
This is my moms Sheltie. Which is very surprising to me.

this is her non sheltie..lol

Her Sheltie came from this horrible excuse for a breeder. The lady had him and his mates at a farmers market. She was trying to get rid of them, they were in this cage. They were unsocialized, like scared of people and also she didn't realize it until she took him out that he stank, probably never had a bath before and lived in his own poo/pee. He is a bright little dog and has natural herding instincts. He is also alert and loves small kids, like to watch over them and make sure they are ok if they cry.

Last edited by APBT_Samara; 01-05-2008 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 03:00 PM

This is another pic. She thinks what she might like is a Rough Collie. He was kind of a spur of the moment dog, she didn't want to leave him with that lady and who knows if some other byb would have too him.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,917,744 times
Smile Border Collie...

This is my 'Abby'.
Thing I like best about her is how smart she is from 4 weeks old when I got her to present...very easy to train...and LOVES herding!...

http://carolann63.smugmug.com/photos/213109811-XL.jpg (broken link)

My Co-Pilot...(it's a little fuzzy)

http://carolann63.smugmug.com/photos/213109874-XL.jpg (broken link)

http://carolann63.smugmug.com/photos/213109878-XL.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-06-2008, 09:41 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,289,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post

This is another pic. She thinks what she might like is a Rough Collie. He was kind of a spur of the moment dog, she didn't want to leave him with that lady and who knows if some other byb would have too him.
That's a collie! I grew up w/ one and it was the best dog in the world!
Look at the nose! Shelties have small faces, shorter nose bridge and a little curve to the bride. A Collie nose is broader and much like the picture you posted a straight profile. That collies ears are fantastic, my parents tried to glue their collies ears once and it didn't work. One stayed and one didn't, it was so funny. Is your moms collie pretty calm? Shelties ARE usually NOT! Colies are ALSO Amazing w/ Children!!!!! mymom trusted our collie more then any human w/ my baby brother(who is now 17!)
I prefer collies over shelties
but I prefer Codys over all dogs.

Our dog was listed as a sheltie in the pound.
I am convinced he's a mini aussie w maybe a little sheltie,papillon,b.c. or sometype of mix in him. or he could be a pure bred Aussie, but his breeding was bad if so. His legs are to long and his body is rounder then an Aussie. He has awesome ears!!!!! He's brilliant, a little quirky(was abused), funny, and loves us so much!
BUT WE LOVE HIM and he's smarter then most people The dogs in the pen are my moms cocker spaniel she saved, Bonnie and Clyde(bigger dogs) and my cody-roo. Bonnie and Clyde and Border collie/chow mixes.
Attached Thumbnails
City Data Sheltie, Border Collie, Club-0707040032-1-.jpg   City Data Sheltie, Border Collie, Club-06112539_g.sized-1-.jpg   City Data Sheltie, Border Collie, Club-0701140044.jpg  

Last edited by kelly3120; 01-06-2008 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
This is my 'Abby'.
Thing I like best about her is how smart she is from 4 weeks old when I got her to present...very easy to train...and LOVES herding!...

http://carolann63.smugmug.com/photos/213109811-XL.jpg (broken link)

My Co-Pilot...(it's a little fuzzy)

http://carolann63.smugmug.com/photos/213109874-XL.jpg (broken link)

http://carolann63.smugmug.com/photos/213109878-XL.jpg (broken link)
SO CUTE! Love the eyes!

Old 01-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
That's a collie! I grew up w/ one and it was the best dog in the world!
Look at the nose! Shelties have small faces, shorter nose bridge and a little curve to the bride. A Collie nose is broader and much like the picture you posted a straight profile. That collies ears are fantastic, my parents tried to glue their collies ears once and it didn't work. One stayed and one didn't, it was so funny. Is your moms collie pretty calm? Shelties ARE usually NOT! Colies are ALSO Amazing w/ Children!!!!! mymom trusted our collie more then any human w/ my baby brother(who is now 17!)
I prefer collies over shelties
but I prefer Codys over all dogs.

Our dog was listed as a sheltie in the pound.
I am convinced he's a mini aussie w maybe a little sheltie,papillon,b.c. or sometype of mix in him. or he could be a pure bred Aussie, but his breeding was bad if so. His legs are to long and his body is rounder then an Aussie. He has awesome ears!!!!! He's brilliant, a little quirky(was abused), funny, and loves us so much!
BUT WE LOVE HIM and he's smarter then most people The dogs in the pen are my moms cocker spaniel she saved, Bonnie and Clyde(bigger dogs) and my cody-roo. Bonnie and Clyde and Border collie/chow mixes.
Well the papers say he is a sheltie, but it doesn't mean they are accurate. He could be mixed Sheltie/Collie or something, you never know with BYBs. I also thought the face was more like a collie then a sheltie, but then he is pretty small too. I also think Sheltie and Collie faces are similar but I'm not an expert on those breeds like you are so I just your judgment on him.

Anyway what she does want is a rough collie, she just took him so he wouldn't end up with another byb or have to go back to this lady's so called nice barn.

He is anything but calm. Kind of neurotic. He runs around, barks a lot, he likes to herd kids, chase them and treat them like sheep. When a child is crying he freaks out and starts whining and barking and has to get to them. So he is alert and watchful over them. His bark is kind of high pitch and annoying. He is also pretty smart like I said.

He is probably a mutt. Because who knows how many breeds this person might have really had. Just like at puppy mills breeds can get mixed up.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Well the papers say he is a sheltie, but it doesn't mean they are accurate. He could be mixed Sheltie/Collie or something, you never know with BYBs. I also thought the face was more like a collie then a sheltie, but then he is pretty small too. I also think Sheltie and Collie faces are similar but I'm not an expert on those breeds like you are so I just your judgment on him.

Anyway what she does want is a rough collie, she just took him so he wouldn't end up with another byb or have to go back to this lady's so called nice barn.

He is anything but calm. Kind of neurotic. He runs around, barks a lot, he likes to herd kids, chase them and treat them like sheep. When a child is crying he freaks out and starts whining and barking and has to get to them. So he is alert and watchful over them. His bark is kind of high pitch and annoying. He is also pretty smart like I said.

He is probably a mutt. Because who knows how many breeds this person might have really had. Just like at puppy mills breeds can get mixed up.
I could be wrong. Definitely not at expert, but I sure do love collies!
cute dog regardless!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:26 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,408,078 times
The dog IS a sheltie but over size! I betting full grown he will be around 17 inches at shoulder! They are ofter mistaken for collies most people refer to them as miniture collies cause of it. This also comes from Americans when 1st imported crossing the org collie with the org shelties to some how inprove the looks of the breeds. The undersized shelties go towards the more dishy face with tiny bones. This is deffanatly not show quality but makes a better pet esp with children. All have great herding abilities no matter.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,735,536 times
Sure looks like a sheltie to me. the muzzle on a collie is different.

Here's mine. (my shelties, not my muzzle)
Two shelties, two different muzzles, related bloodlines. Go figure.

(mustn't forget their sheep (the lab)
Attached Thumbnails
City Data Sheltie, Border Collie, Club-my-two-shelties.jpg   City Data Sheltie, Border Collie, Club-duster1-05-08.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs