Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:44 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times

Advertisements

I need some help. Two out of my four dogs have cracked molar teeth on durable Nylabones. I had a discussion with my vet today who was calling to check up on my youngest after her recent extraction. She told me no more hard Nylabones allowed and gave me the guideline that anything that hurts if you hit it against your knee is off limits for dogs to chew. I have been giving them mainly Nylabones and antlers as chew items. The antlers go fast in my house. They widdle them down to nothing in a matter of days, which is fine with me but maybe not so fine for their teeth? Anything softer than a durable Nylabone my two more aggressive chewers will shred and ingest. When I made this point to my vet she told me "well if they're going to eat what they chew, then make sure it is something edible." It was kind of an epiphany for me. I have heard horror stories about Greenies, raw hide, various brands of dental chews, but the basic premise does make sense and appeal to me - give my dogs something soft enough to not damage their teeth, but edible or even beneficial to eat since they're going to consume anything that soft.

So I'd like to know what edible chew items your dogs enjoy that you feel are safe for both teeth and overall health. It seems like every product, material, and substance out there you can find some horror story of a dog getting kidney or liver failure from it.. or seizures.. or impactions.. It can be discouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I've heard bully sticks are supposed to be ideal for tough chewers. My husband has refused to buy any, because he says he doesn't want me teaching my dog to chew on that part of the male anatomy.

We buy rolled pigskin chews at Walmart and those take Ginger about an hour to eat completely, which is pretty good. She had a giant bone before that took a couple of weeks just because of its size, she couldn't get it totally in her mouth.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Bobbins - Boomer Ball

Even Sam could not "kill" these bad boy zoo toys.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM

What are those bobbins made out of? Heavy duty rubber?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Yep. Sam and his brother, Colonel, had these toys for years. They can't destroy them. And they tried. Chewed em, dragged them around, played tug of war...these things last a long time. Just google "zoo toys" and buy toys for zoo animals.
http://www.sanctuarysupplies.com/ite...partnum=TRB10R

Last edited by jasper12; 01-26-2013 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM

Toys for zoo animals.. that sounds about right.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:18 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,401 times
We bought a Tire Biter for our dog and he chewed it up. This time we bought the next size larger and he's afraid of it !

Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I had a TireBiter too - the reviews are correct - it stunk, and the rubber comes off in layers. Let's all guess what that would do to a dog's gastric tract....not to mention there are nylon threads that could obstruct the digestive system. It went in the trash within hours of arriving.

As far as the bobbins, I simply don't have $80-100 for "a" toy. I've used Jolly Balls for horses (tug and toss) or the teaser ball that is made for dogs.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
My dogs chew pieces off the extreme kongs, starting around the hole for treats, but the kong balls (available at fewer stores for some reason) last a long time for them. As far as edible chews go, I can't say.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Bully sticks are great, if smelly...our WSD is a chewer, and she'll hunker down for an hour or so with one of those sticks. She came to us as a rescue with one broken canine tooth, so her teeth may be fragile and we don't want her to break any more! However, it probably isn't quite true that all dogs eat everything they chew. Our sweetheart loves to chew twigs and pine cones (we don't allow that, but she always manages to find some) and it doesn't look to us like she's swallowing any of it. Then again, some of it probably disappears down the hatch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs