U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 AM

17,824 posts, read 21,300,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedSOUL83 View Post
At what age did you consider your dog fully housebroken? Also at that point, how long had YOU personally owned the dog (given that you adopted them after they were born)?

I got my dog at 4 months. She is currently 9 months. She still doesnt fully connect the fact that she HAS to go outside. She will go outside when we take her. She usually holds herself for around 4 or 5 hours when around the house, but if not brought out around that time will go where I cant see her and pee (rarely poop). I know she can hold it longer but chooses not to when out of her crate. In her crate she holds it all night. As a 9 month old, the general rule of thumb is that she should be able to hold it for approx. 10 hours, which has proven true in her crate, but out of her crate she does the "when you gotta go you gotta go"

Its frustrating b/c I took extra care to train her the correct way. Its hard b/c we live in an apt and cant always see our front door (that is if she were to start going to the door to let us know she has to go like most dogs do). But I did a lot of research before hand, and in 5 months of taking her out and usually going outside, I dont see why she hasnt made the connection that she cant do it inside. The other day it was only 3 hours from when I took her out in the morning where she peed and pooped until she had an accident and peed on our carpet. Is this normal? A couple of my friends said within a month their dogs were fully housebroken.

Oh and for reference, I have gone through about 10 full bottles of Natures Miracle Stain/Odor Remover from petsmart. Maybe I have to steamclean my carpet b/c even though I make 110% effort to clean accidents fully, they may leave just enough that she thinks its ok...
I have had mixed experiences with two dogs. I got them both at 8 weeks of age. The first dog (a golden retriever/black lab mix female) was very willful and took me a full year to completely house-break. My second dog (an Alaskan husky/golden lab mix female) was house broken in a month. By the time she was 3 months old she never had an "accident" in my house again.

I have just recently acquired another 8 week-old puppy (now 9 weeks old), a golden retriever/st. bernard mix male this time. So I'm going through the process of trying to house break him all over again. I think miu's post above about having a second, older, dog helps speeds up the process is right. The puppy still pees everywhere, but he follows my other dog (now 4 years old) outside through the doggie-dog to do his other business. At least most of the time. Hopefully he will learn quickly.

Try not to be too hard on her, I know it can be frustrating. It is okay to show your disapproval, but also let her outside even if she just went inside so she will begin to understand the expected behavior. Keep taking her outside at regular intervals and eventually she will let you know when she has to go. Sometimes the signals she sends can be subtle, like laying her head in your lap, so you will have to be part mind-reader. Other times she may send a more direct message, like scratching the door jamb. The trick is to always be alert and try to catch her in the act so you can correct her behavior immediately.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Glitch; 10-26-2007 at 02:56 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 05:20 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,470,236 times
I just make an idjiot out of my self with lots of over the top praise when they go potty outside...eventually they all catch on...it depends on the breed/sex and life before you.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 9,471 times
Default Normal?

My puppy is 4 months old, a german shepherd-hound mix, and she's still not fully potty trained. She does an okay job, but it seems so slow..is this normal?!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 AM

821 posts, read 1,879,500 times
It took only a couple of weeks for our Lab to be housebroken. He has had some accidents in the house about 2-3 but they really were more our fault for not paying attention he sits at the back door when he wants to so out. He just turned 4 months old.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:39 AM

5,027 posts, read 14,166,481 times
We got Porkchop at 8 weeks, and he was fully housebroken just before he was 4 months old. People said Bulldogs are harder to train, but I think it's the people and not the dog. It helped that one of us works from home and took him out every 2 hours, whether he had to go or not. He picked up on it quickly, and stood by the door when he had to go. He hasn't had an accident in the house since then.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:10 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,977,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
One day I walked around a corner & she was squatting in the kitchen. I lost it. I kicked her in the butt one time and SCREAMED at the top of my lungs "NO! You stupid puppy!" I had no shoes on and broke 2 toes, but she got the message.
Did you really need to kick her that hard? Somehow I wish you hadn't posted that.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,977,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We got Porkchop at 8 weeks, and he was fully housebroken just before he was 4 months old. People said Bulldogs are harder to train, but I think it's the people and not the dog. It helped that one of us works from home and took him out every 2 hours, whether he had to go or not. He picked up on it quickly, and stood by the door when he had to go. He hasn't had an accident in the house since then.
MAK -- off topic, but since I've been reading about PC, I'm always noticing bull dogs. Saw one the other day with no tail! The owner said his tail was cork screwing into his body so they had to remove his tail!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:27 PM

5,027 posts, read 14,166,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
MAK -- off topic, but since I've been reading about PC, I'm always noticing bull dogs. Saw one the other day with no tail! The owner said his tail was cork screwing into his body so they had to remove his tail!

Our neighbors have a Bulldog and her tail got infected and had to be amputated as well! PC does not have a corkscrew, because our breeder said it's not practical and they get infected. Yea, it's not as cute as the other bullies but at least he is safe from amputation!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:12 PM

156 posts, read 298,363 times
Boo was almost house-trained when I got him. He came from a friend and both pup parents were at that house. The pups all followed the momma out so they learned very early how it is supposed to work. The day I brought him home he was almost 6 weeks old. He peed maybe 6 times in my apartment but most of them were because I wasn't fast enough when he went to the door. Now there are no accidents. Except for a couple of times when he has gotten into things he shouldn't have. Those were very disgusting!!! But the crazy thing is that Boo went to the bathroom and pooped on the rug in front of the toilet. If the lid had been up and he could have gotten his butt up there I'm pretty sure he would have went in the toilet!!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:45 PM

177 posts, read 699,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby-Lou View Post
My puppy is 4 months old, a german shepherd-hound mix, and she's still not fully potty trained. She does an okay job, but it seems so slow..is this normal?!

Four months is still pretty young to expect full potty training. It really depends on the breed and the temperment of the dog. Since German Sheps are more intelligent, I'd venture to say it won't be TOO much longer before she's good with training. Maybe a few more months or so?

My Keeshond is seven months and he's pretty close to perfect now. Had a few bumpy starts and relapses, but they'll get it; it just takes time.

Be patient and consistent, and NEVER abuse them for it. That makes me sick, and teaches the dog nothing but to fear you and potty where you won't find it. A simple "no" for mistakes (ONLY if you catch them doing it though; dogs have a memory recall of just a few seconds), taking the dog out and showing him/her the appropriate spot, and lots of positive reinforcement will do the job every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs